Recording with External Mic: What Am I Doing Wrong?

Zoom PS-02 & PS-04 Palmtop Studio information, discussion, and support
LanceC
new to this board
new to this board

Recording with External Mic: What Am I Doing Wrong?

Post by LanceC » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:16 am

I have a PS-04 to use as a reporting tool for in-field interviews, but I've been struggling to get it to work properly. I feel like I'm missing something obvious, so hopefully someone here can help. The instruction manual isn't exactly helpful to people using the PS-04 for non-musical purposes.

I'm following the instructions in the manual exactly, using an Audio Technica DR-VX1 unidirectional dynamic mic connected into the Line In via a XLR to 1/8" cable. I make sure to create a new project and crank the recording volume on the Line In tracks, but even at maximum I hear nothing at all through my headphones. I've also made sure to change the sensitivity knob on the back panel to mic.

I would just use the internal mic and be done with it, but I need to be able to cut out background noise as much as possible. Many of my interviews take place at venues where other people are talking and music is playing, so it isn't always an option.

What am I missing here? Should I go out and get a XLR to 1/4" and plug the mic into the input? Am I supposed to apply an effect to get some kind of result? I'm interviewing a guy in a band tonight at 9:30 (CST), so any help would be great.
0 x

crakkenmyer

Post by crakkenmyer » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:10 pm

The Line In jack is to plug in an audio source such as a Mixer or Amplifier. It's a Stereo input. Usually an external mic would go into the INPUT jack, just like any guitar, or other instrument. Try again, and see if this solves your problem.
BTW, don't forget to adjust the sensitivity with the pot on top.
0 x
Oldman Crakkenmyer

storpotaten
Yoda
Yoda

Post by storpotaten » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:18 pm

Also, remember that the Input jack is the "default" one (when the built-in mic isn't used). The Line In jack isn't active unless you actually select it. To record from "Line In", you need to press TRACK PARAMETER and then select LINE by pressing either the third or fourth of the buttons above the faders.

You can use the built-in effect to get extra boost of the signal, but I don't think any of the presets would help you much. Making your own input effects isn't difficult but takes some time to understand. Let me know and we can discuss this more in detail.

Hope that helps. Good luck.
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:54 pm

I don't know why you would be using the Line In, you want to use the other input. I do this every week when recording for the www.homemadehitshow.com podcast.

I have a dynamic mic with XLR cable, into an XLR / 1/4 inch adapter into the main input.

There are different factors in volume.

Recording volume is effected by knob on top of the PS04 (for the mic and 1/4 inch input only) & the input level set from the track parameter menu.

Playback volume is set by track volume and the volume control on the side.

For ages I used to focus on the playback volume not realizing that the recording volume was separate. You can hear loud but record quiet or hear quietly but still record quietly.

I recommend recording into the 1/4 inch input not the line in.
0 x