Where is the Metronom by recording?

Zoom PS-02 & PS-04 Palmtop Studio information, discussion, and support
at300
new to this board
new to this board

Where is the Metronom by recording?

Post by at300 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:22 am

hello togheter
i bought last week the PS-04! i'm really happy with this gadget! only one thing i dont understand: (i also can't find an answer in the manual guide)

when i'm recording, the metronom is missing. in one menu i can regulating the volume of the metronom, but this feature has no effect.

is there anbody, who can say me what i have to do, to hear the metronom by recordings.

i saw there are 2 drum patterns with metronom sound, but thats not the thing i want.

thanks for answers
greets adrian

Howard
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Howard » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:09 am

Hello and welcome to the forum.

You need to "bounce" the rhythm track to a v-take to record it on the PS-04. Think of the rhythm as being firmware on the system inside the PS-04, it's more like midi than audio. There are other ways to get the rhythm sounds off the PS-04.

Tips and Tricks on this forum is on this page:
http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=6972
and it has a lot of useful information.

storpotaten
Yoda
Yoda

Re: Where is the Metronom by recording?

Post by storpotaten » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:07 pm

at300 wrote:when i'm recording, the metronom is missing. in one menu i can regulating the volume of the metronom, but this feature has no effect.
Welcome to the forum and to the world of PS-04s...

Howard is (as always) perfectly correct, under condition that you want to hear the metronome after you recorded.

If you want to hear it while you are recording, try this:
1. Press they rhythm button. The metronome is a rhythm pattern played by the internal drum/bass machine.
2. The default rhythm pattern for a new project is 000, which is not a metronome. Use the alpha wheel and rotate backwards. The 4/4 metronome is pattern nbr 510 (one step "below" 000) and 3/4 is pattern 509.
3. Set the volume using fader nbr one (leftmost). There is no feedback on the screen when you do this, so you want to press the play button first to hear how loud it is.
4. Set the BPM using fader nbr 3 (steps of 10 BPM) and 4 (within those 10 BPM).
5. Press the exit button to get back to standard play/record mode.

Hope that helps. When you've done with your recording, put it on soundclick.com and notify us in the New Songs section of this forum!

N.B. fader nbr. 2 is used to set the bass level, but there are of course no bass sounds in the metronome patterns.

When I record, I find the standard metronome sound to be quite sharp and easy leaks into the recording (when using the internal microphone), so I usually create a pattern nbr 508 where I use hi-hat sounds instead. The process for this is a bit harder so start with the above and see how far you get.

at300
new to this board
new to this board

Post by at300 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:37 am

first off all, big thanks you for help!

i checked out the solution with the rythmus pattern, and it works well.

okey i will tell you in the forum, as soon as i recorded something.

Gtr50
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Gtr50 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:50 am

How do you set it up to play a click track using either a HiHat sound or a Rim sound?

Tanglewood
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Tanglewood » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:53 am

Sorry to hijack this (old!) thread but can anyone help me with a different metronome question? 'The count in' defaults to 4 beats which is fine for me but sometimes the rate changes and it's a bit too fast, occasionally it goes at double speed. I must be messing something up but I can't see where. It's always fine at first with a new project.

As an example, just now I set up a drum pattern to help keep the first guitar rhythm track in time. I recorded the track and added lead guitar to a second track. All fine. I then deleted the drums using the 'deleting a pattern' instructions on p.69 but when I went to record another track the count in was going so fast I hardly had time to get my fingers back on the strings! :mrgreen:
(PS.04 btw).