Just getting Started

Zoom PS-02 & PS-04 Palmtop Studio information, discussion, and support
schaeferdrinker
new to this board
new to this board

Just getting Started

Post by schaeferdrinker » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:36 pm

I got my PS-04 about 2 years ago, and just plugged it in today!
I got a few songs recorded with a few tracks on each... good fun, not quite as intimidating as I thought it was going to be, but I know I am not really scratching the surface yet.
I took a break, and have been on the scavenger hunt for the rest of the goodies I'll need ot move forward.
Thanks Howard!
So far I purchased the adaptor and the reader, now I'm looking for the XD card.
0 x

Howard
Yoda
Yoda

Re: Just getting Started

Post by Howard » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:19 am

Welcome to the board.

Be careful when ordering the xd card. You can't go above 128mb. I use Olympus cards with no problem. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=128mb+xd+card

Amazon has them, but they are a little more expensive:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?ur ... rd&x=0&y=0

Just like with the SM card, as they went out of production, others here have predicted the cost of the low capacity xd cards will go up. Soon, you may not be able to find them at a price you'd be willing to pay. Get more than one from the same source, or the shipping will wind up being more than the product.

The adapters may be going out of style as well:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... 657&sr=8-4

There are a few of us here that still have and use a PS-04, although most it seems have moved on to other products. Many have kept their PS-04, and know quite a bit about the unit. Don't go by me, I still take more pictures with a film camera than with a digital.

Good luck and happy recording.
0 x

Kip
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Kip » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:07 am

Hi. I, too, just started using a p2-04 I picked up on ebay. I did a guitar track the other day and I'm trying to figure out why I have so much distortion even though I'm not peaking out. The trouble shooting section of the manual says I need to check the gain on the EQ, which might be set too high.

Interesting unit.

I tried to delete the guitar track, followed the procedure in the manual, but track doesn't delete. If there is anybody out there who does use these units, or remembers, I'm going to be nagging you with questions for a while. Thanks.

Kip
0 x

Howard
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Howard » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:53 am

Kip - welcome to the board.

Look in the PS-04 section of the board. At the top is a thread with useful tips. They include the manual, but some have found it difficult to read. For me, it was almost as if it were written for someone who already knew how to use the unit but just needed a reminder, or who wanted to go into greater technical depth. The tip section is located here: http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6972

You just want answers, so I shouldn't do this, but "read the manual" is what I'm often told, so I had to abuse you with that, just to get you charged. I'll try to answer one question (maybe, that is if I understand it). Distortion (not clipping, but fuzz), may be caused by the input volume knob top right being set too high. The sliders are at the digital level. The volume knob is analog. It's like the volume on your amp, and it doesn't go to 11, but it goes to Mic, which is hot. Another possible answer is that you have a defective unit, but no way to tell right now.

For the track delete, check to see if you have protected the project, that is, made it read-only. That's all I can say on that one for now, I want you to read the manual. Also read through all the tips in the thread listed above.

Although considered old technology, the PS series are great little machines for what they can do.
0 x