simple audio recorder?

Zoom PS-02 & PS-04 Palmtop Studio information, discussion, and support
lordmullin
new to this board
new to this board

simple audio recorder?

Post by lordmullin » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:31 pm

Hi everyone - I have just bought the PS02 and it looks like an awesome little machine.

BUT - how do I use it solely for audio thru the inbuilt mic?

No accompaniment, no bass & drums, no effects - just a handy little portable sound recorder, for rehearsals, etc.

The manual is (understandably) all about step-programming, using FX, assigning tracks, etc, but I don't want ANY of that.

Thanks for any help you might give.
Tim, Bolton.

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Re: simple audio recorder?

Post by surfercook » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:56 pm

I used to own the PS-02...great little unit. Recorded many projects on it for many trouble free yrs. Check pgs 50-51 of the manual. You have to acces the "Audio" menu to toggle the built in mic on/off.
Also check pg 67 for use of the "MicPre" effect which will boost the mic signal/gain substantially. This will give you alot more tone when using the built-in mic.
Pg 71 explains the Utility menu's function for mic gain which is very important regarding how you are recording w/a mic.

Good Luck and post something when you get it schooled lordmul.
Les Paul Studio, ES 135, Guild G37, Wechter Pathmaker, Fender GN-45SCE Classical, YouRockGuitar, Fender Jazz Bass, Ovation Celebrity, Oscar Schmidt OU6LCE Ukulele, Gibson F4 Mandolin, Yamaha PSR-225GM, Line 6 UX2 & FX100, DOD FET preamp, MC10O Condensor Mic, Dynamic Unidirectional Mic, MRS-8, Samplitude, REAPER, Mixcraft, EZ Drummer/Mix, Steven Slate Drums, POD Farm, Guitar Rig, FENDER Deluxe Silverface, Roland CUBE-60, Jazz Real Books by Sher Music
PC=quad core I5,7200 1TB SATA HD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Graphics card, RAIDMAX|HELIOS Tower, 8GB RAM, 1TB ExtHD
Soundclick Soundcloud Reverbnation YouTube

lordmullin
new to this board
new to this board

Post by lordmullin » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:07 pm

Beautiful! Thanks O Jedi Master. Excellent detail.
I'll post something up when I get something useable!
Cheers,
Tim, Bolton, UK.

Graeme_r
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Graeme_r » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:52 pm

Hi Tim, I have just got one too. The easiest way is to set it up to use an empty rhythm (track 52 on mine) and follow advice about using the Mic Gain. However, this will be a mono recording. You can also set it up to record Stereo tracks onto 2 & 3 if you can get the right adaptors and feed in a signal from a pre amp for a pair of Microphones. I have a preamp from Maplins for boosting signals from a Vinyl record turntable into a line input that needs a 12V volt supply and that boosts microphones too so I can feed them into the zoom.

It's even possible to use 2 Stereo Mics and the inbuilt mono mic to record on tracks 2&3. The inbuilt mic signal will be mono though and will come out of the middle whereas the stereo mics will feed left and right.

Let me know if you want more advice

lordmullin
new to this board
new to this board

Post by lordmullin » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:07 am

Thanks Graeme - can't believe I've not looked at this forum since July!

Tim.