Zoom PS-02 & PS-04 Palmtop Studio information, discussion, and support
Tanglewood
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Tanglewood » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:58 am

Hi, Just thought I'd say hello as a new PS-04 owner. :D I know it's been obsolete for a few years but I'm really impressed with my second hand fleabay purchase. Knowing almost nothing about multitrack recording the manual seems pretty mind-boggling but so far I've managed to record two tracks, each with guitar and effects. Doesn't sound much but it's taken me three days and I haven't even thought about mixing yet!

Anyway, I've been helped hugely by reading all the the great tips here and I've been amazed by the quality of the music you guys come up with. :bow:

jdeyebrows
member in good standing
member in good standing

Re: Newbie

Post by jdeyebrows » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:59 pm

That's great. My first was the PS-02 and I got years out of it. I hate I sold it. I have 2 R16s now. Don't ever sell it if you can help it.
Jonathan "JD Eyebrows" Daniel
http://www.jdandtina.com/jdmusic

JohnnyJonnie
new to this board
new to this board

Post by JohnnyJonnie » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:49 pm

Hi
I'm very new to all this home recording having just got a PS-04 & the jargon and am getting stressed at my inability to progress ....If anyone knows of any easy to follow instructions or shortcuts I will be truly grateful , thanks.

DCMaguire
Jedi
Jedi

Post by DCMaguire » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:06 am

I still have my PS02,PS04 (which I still use all the time) and an HD16CD.

It's easy to get intimidated by the number of things you can do with PS04. There are still lots of things I have never learned (the drums and bass have always given me fits - I just don't have the patience). My advice to newbies is always the same: relax! You don;t need to know how to do everything right away. Learn one step at a time. When you get competent at one thing, add another. Don't try to read the manual all the way through. Just concentrate step by step on the one thing you are trying to learn. Once you know how do to something, then move on to something new. Track recording, multi-track recording, adding effects, mixing down, mastering effects, send effects, bouncing, punching in, programming drums/bass, creating a stereo master, etc , etc ,etc.

Take it a step at a time and you'll do fine.

storpotaten
Yoda
Yoda

Post by storpotaten » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:13 am

JohnnyJonnie,

Try the FAQ page: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6972

Look for the PS04 cheat sheet, halfway down the page, and the beginner's guide a little further below. That could give you a good start.

Happy recording!

JohnnyJonnie
new to this board
new to this board

Post by JohnnyJonnie » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:53 am

Thank you , in lots of ways I find these Forums more helpful than the instructions .

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:33 pm

PS04 Cheat Sheet

Good luck, and have fun. :^:

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:37 pm

By the way, as I look at this cheat sheet almost a decade later, it's pretty much all Greek to me. I worked my way methodically through the manual and played around with the 04 for quite a while before I was able to put this together. I'd say to the absolute newbie it will be more confusing than helpful.

Do the step by step instructions from the manual a few times until you get the general work flow. This is a tiny powerhouse, and has a boatload of features. As such, it can get a little complicated. Step by step is the only way to wrap your brain around this beast.