Still using a PSO4?

Zoom PS-02 & PS-04 Palmtop Studio information, discussion, and support
dadroadie
new to this board
new to this board

Still using a PSO4?

Post by dadroadie » Sat May 11, 2013 1:37 pm

Hi To All,
Is anyone out there is still using the PS04 for day to day recording duties?
I just wondered what type of applications people are using the "Little Wonders" for.
I don't believe anyone ever put so much technology in such a small package!
About the only thing putting a cloud over the unit is getting smart media cards.
Anyone come up with good solutions?
I found a way around the lack of a USB problem is running the unit directly into my SONY "Soundforge " software. Seems to work quite well. That way I don't have to use the card reader anymore.
Would like to hear from anyone about applications with their PS04.
All the Best!
Dad Roadie
0 x

Roy-Al
dues paid
dues paid

Re: Still using a PSO4?

Post by Roy-Al » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:44 am

Hi there,

I still use my trusty PS04 and also have problem with the memory card. They're kind of flimsy. But I manage to put tape on them to keep from breaking and am able to continue recording. Recently lost the PC with the universal card reader so I have to line-in record directly to my Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS. Lot o noise though. Think I'll get an inexpensive USB audio interface like Lexicon or Mobile-Pre to cut way down on the noise factor. Anyway, sorry for this oh so late response. I don't get around these parts much. In fact, I'm wondering if you are still using yours in 2016?
0 x
Roy-Al

Toyguitar

Post by Toyguitar » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:21 pm

I have newer Zoom recorders, but I just picked up a PS02 used and I think it's a great little unit. I bought a couple of old smart media cards on-line and while waiting for them, found one around the house. I'm going to try that tape trick before the cards become a problem. I also have a usb multicard reader which is very helpful. I see them in recycle shops all the time for peanuts. There is no "Master" track as in my other units so to get the basic 'mastering' effect applied, I also have to record through a line out and an audio interface. Although this isn't the highest quality of recording, less than 44.1, it's still pretty good. And I think I'll get a lot of use out of it since it's so darned small and portable.
0 x

Roy-Al
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Roy-Al » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:15 pm

Thanks Toyguitar, good pointers. I broke down and ordered a very inexpensive USB card reader from Amazon and will look around online for the SM cards, maybe on Ebay. I could probably find some other equipment that an infrequent Zoomer such as myself might be able to afford. Don't know why I didn't think of that before. Happy recording on your PS02.
0 x
Roy-Al

Toyguitar

Post by Toyguitar » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:11 am

Hey Roy-Al, glad to be of help! Friday I stumbled on a used PS04 for 20 bucks! Lucky me. :-) And a minute ago I stumbled on a used 128mb smartmedia card on-line for 20 more bucks. Go figure! It's hard to believe the ps04 has the full drum machine in it and uses the F.A.S.T. system. Now off to tackle the manual and figure out how.
0 x

Roy-Al
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Roy-Al » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:34 pm

Hey there, wow $40 bucks well spent. Wish I could find these places that you keep having the good luck with. I went to a couple of recycle stores looking for components that I need. Bum luck. Oh well. I just got my USB card reader this very moment from Amazon. The first one didn't host the cards that I need. Anyway, enjoy your new portable studio. It is quite the versatile little machine.
0 x
Roy-Al

Toyguitar

Post by Toyguitar » Fri May 20, 2016 10:16 am

Thanks, Roy-Al. I'm in Japan so I doubt you'll stumble on my local gear shops. Speaking of which, I saw another ps04 last weekend. And I managed to find a couple of smart media card readers for a couple of bucks each, but I haven't tried them out yet.
0 x