new to PS04 forum

Zoom PS-02 & PS-04 Palmtop Studio information, discussion, and support
nworbekim
new to this board
new to this board

new to PS04 forum

Post by nworbekim » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:34 pm

i'm really happy i found this website...

i've had mine for a long time, but have never used it seriously... i've become interested in a project and am looking over the manual (after all these years i was surprised to actually find it) and i think i sort of have a handle on the BOUNCE command.

its sort of foggy to me, i understand the demo in the manual, and have copied 4 initial tracks to V-track 1/2 - 10. now, i'm thinking, how do i add other tracks to this? see if i'm on the right track...

i think i can take the new V track 10's i just recorded, and record new material on tracks 3/4, then bounce those 4 to another set of virtual tracks on 9. and add 2 more, etc...

this is rather tedious... but possible.

maybe you can show me a more efficient method? i'd appreciate it.

thank you very much....
0 x

storpotaten
Yoda
Yoda

Re: new to PS04 forum

Post by storpotaten » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:53 am

Hi nworbekim,

Welcome to the forum. As you can see, there aren't many PS-04 users around any more. The model is now ten years old and things change fast... ;)

I haven't used mine for quite some time, but this is how I used to see it:
Whenever you press play, you have a mixer of six channels to control what you hear. Four channels are directly accessible using the faders. The remaining two are drums and bass, which you can reach through the menus. Let's ignore those last two for now.

Each of your four faders has a v-track behind it. For each fader, you can select one of ten v-tracks. (If a v-track happens to be behind "the wrong" fader, then you can simply swap it, e.g. swap 1-2 and 2-5.)

The only limitation is that you can't listen to more than four v-takes at a time, one per fader. The same is true when you want to bounce - you can use four v-tracks as source, while recording to two other v-takes.

If you want to bounce more than four tracks together in a mix, you have to do it in several bounce steps. E.g. ...
Step 1: 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, 4-1 to 9-1 and 9-2
Step 2: 2-1, 2-2, 3-2, 4-2 to 9-3 and 9-4
Step 3: 9-1, 9-2, 9-3, 9-4 to 10-1 and 10-2
You now have eight source tracks bounced to 10-1 and 10-2.

Of course, this is tedious and time consuming and difficult and not really using the possibilities of digital technology. Most people would record all tracks on the PS-04, then move them to a PC/Mac and mix it down there, all in one go. For PC, Audacity is a free and popular tool for this. (There are much better tools if you are willing to pay a little, such as Reaper.) Don't know what the alternative on Mac would be, perhaps GarageBand can do it.

Good luck.
0 x

nworbekim
new to this board
new to this board

Re: new to PS04 forum

Post by nworbekim » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:08 am

thank you for taking time to reply... what you've described is about what I've figured out... i found a TASCAM USB unit at a local swapfest and have downloaded reaper and audacity. i still like my little ps04 though, i think its a great little portable recorder. i carry it in my case to lessons, and at times just plug in and practice.
0 x