Converting Mp3 or Wavs to an aud file for importing.

Zoom PS-02 & PS-04 Palmtop Studio information, discussion, and support
The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:02 pm

Thanks, Howard. I just got out of the studio now. Working on a new one... :noway:
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Tonto2
The Force
The Force

Post by Tonto2 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:51 pm

Cracks... have fun with that new project! :D

Also... I suppose it might be obvious (but wasn't for me back some months ago), but you've got to be sure your cable is a stereo cable.
(At least I think that's the case.)
:roll:
0 x
. .

Tonto2
Father/Daughter Team
_________________________________________________________________________________
. Homemade music made around the campfire, at the beach, or just about anywhere!
Our SoundClick Site ? Our 1st Forum Post ? Our Portable Recording Gear ? Our Favorite Keyboard Artist

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:58 pm

Tonto, that wasn't clear to me for a year, especially on the input. My Yamaha keyboard sounded great in phones and crap when recorded. Once I realized I needed a stereo cable it all became clear :D
0 x

Tonto2
The Force
The Force

Post by Tonto2 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:20 pm

tonyoci wrote:Tonto, that wasn't clear to me for a year...
Yeah... there's a lot to learn with this hobby.

And... even more to remember!

:shock:
0 x
. .

Tonto2
Father/Daughter Team
_________________________________________________________________________________
. Homemade music made around the campfire, at the beach, or just about anywhere!
Our SoundClick Site ? Our 1st Forum Post ? Our Portable Recording Gear ? Our Favorite Keyboard Artist

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:48 pm

Tonto2 wrote:Also... I suppose it might be obvious (but wasn't for me back some months ago), but you've got to be sure your cable is a stereo cable.
(At least I think that's the case.)
What! :noway: It's a little late in the game to be hearing this.

How do I know if I have stereo cables? Or, more importantly, how will I know if I don't have them (sound wise)?
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Tonto2
The Force
The Force

Post by Tonto2 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:30 pm

The Cracks wrote:...How do I know if I have stereo cables? Or, more importantly, how will I know if I don't have them (sound wise)?
When I got my new stereo cables... I tagged them with a colored tape so I
wouldn't forget. Thanks to this thread... I just pulled a few cables out of
the case I keep them in and... guess what!! :D I didn't put them on too well! :oops:

Geez... seems to me that there's a way to tell. If I recall (and don't hold
me to this as it might be worthless babble! :wink: )... the number
of 'bands', or rings that go around the jack tells mono, or stereo. Maybe I'm nuts...
but I thought it was two rings= stereo and one ring=mono. :oops:

Anyone who feels like jumping in here is more than welcome to make me
the new"Dumb-A-of-the -Week". After all... it's for a good cause... as John could use the help!

I hope I'm right, but don't bet your last :2cents: on it!

Kev
0 x
. .

Tonto2
Father/Daughter Team

Howard
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Howard » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:00 pm

Somewhere a while back (year or two ago) there was a thread here on the 2090 with diagrams. If I can find it, I'll post the link. Meantime...

At (ahem) high impedance, (the ins and outs of the PS-04 are high impedance), the ground is common to right and left. On a stereo male phone plug, in addition to the sleeve (shank or shaft -watch it!), there will be a ring, and a tip (almost way out of line). On a mono phone plug, there will only be the sleeve and the tip, with no ring. Wow, can you make some lyrics out of that?

I'd better stop now.
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:08 pm

Okay, well, I'm guessing mine are all stereo. I have little tips on the end with rings. On some cables the rings are black, on one it's more of a silver imprint on the metal just below the tip.

Here's a question that might clear it up - would mono cables work on the PS? I mean, could I even record? Maybe that's a way of knowing.

Edit Note: I looked on Google Images of stereo phone plug and mono phone plug and I must tell you that I have no idea which ones I have.

Isn't there some test or something?
Last edited by The Cracks on Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

Howard
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Howard » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:11 pm

Yes, mono will work.

I found the link, but it is an old post, anyway, the images are from a website where there is a better image of what you want (other images as well):

http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/conne ... rca-2.html
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:16 pm

Thanks you guys. Howard, I checked the web site. Thanks.

I'm not going to worry about which ones I have. What ever they are have been working up until now, so I'm just moving forward.

Thanks for the info.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:23 pm

Just to confuse the issue, if you have a stereo cable you still need to be recording in stereo for it to make any difference :D

Cracks, your keyboard is stereo, some guitar effects output in stereo but it's not a major key IMHO
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:37 pm

This is f***ed up. All the sudden I feel like I'm back at step one.

Well, just to keep the ball rolling, I really think I have mono cables. How do you like that? :cry:

So now I have to go get stereo cables and learn how to record in stereo. This kind of sucks. :cry:
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:38 pm

tonyoci wrote:Cracks, your keyboard is stereo, some guitar effects output in stereo but it's not a major key IMHO
Are you saying don't worry about it? (Please God.)
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

Tonto2
The Force
The Force

Post by Tonto2 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:26 pm

The Cracks wrote:...Are you saying don't worry about it? (Please God.)
Cracks...
Unless you've got something near you like a 24/7 electronics store, or a
late night sale at a music shop... you'll probably have to wait until
morning anyway... so worry no more!

Want some popcorn?!
0 x
. .

Tonto2
Father/Daughter Team

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:45 am

It depends what you are trying to do.

Input into the PS04 a stereo cable is really only helpful for a keyboard and even then not required.

Knowing how to record in stereo using a stereo guitar track is really not that important or necessary

If you are outputting using the line out to the PC then a stereo cable is very important.

Tony
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:04 am

Thanks you guys. I really think I'm okay since I've recorded through the PS up til now (with mixed results for sure), and now I'm going to start recording in to the PS. So, unless something changes, I'm just going to keep moving.

Thanks again.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

crakkenmyer

Post by crakkenmyer » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:36 am

I don't know if I've missed something here, but It is good to know that the "INPUT" jack is Mono so even if you use a stereo cable you're recording Mono. If you wish to record in Stereo you either have to use the "Line In" jack, or the "Input" jack + internal mic.
0 x
Oldman Crakkenmyer