(mono) jamming

Zoom PS-02 & PS-04 Palmtop Studio information, discussion, and support
Spook
new to this board
new to this board

(mono) jamming

Post by Spook » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:49 am

I wanted to plug my mp3 player into the ps04 and jam. I searched here adn only found hardware mods.

Well, my solution was to get a Y splitter with two male 1/8" inch plugs and one female 1/8" jack. Mono, so my guitar is in one ear and my player in the other, but it sure does the job. I think there may be a stereo solution, but I think it requires a bunch of adapters.

Just in case anyone wants to try this...
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:39 pm

I'm not sure what you mean. The CD Player can go into the Line in and the guitar into the guitar in, you don't get stereo but it appears in both ears ? The problem is that the effects on the PS04 (for guitar etc.) are also applied to the CD, there's no sepearate channel, but also no need for a Y adapter.
0 x

jegtar
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by jegtar » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:58 pm

I think he is saying to reverse the splitter, I did the same thing with stereo jacks and works great,it cuts down the volume on the ps04 though, but works for jamming with an mp3 player. You plug the the split ends of the Y into the mp3 player and ps04, then on the single end you put a female headphone jack to plug in the headphones. This way you can play with any effects and the mp3 music nver goes to the pso4 before going to the headphones.
0 x

Unstablxxx
The Force
The Force

Post by Unstablxxx » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:06 pm

Thanks for sharing that with us, Spook... welcome to the board.

Your cable must be stereo on the female end for you to get seperation of the two inputs. If you found one that's got a mono female end, I think it'd tie the two signals together and you should get both inputs plying in both years.
0 x
Mike
-
-
Rocketing towards 5000 posts without a care in the world!
-
-
My solo music | My Eljam music | My Studio Tour | Vocal Effect Demo | Kristal Tutorial

bloodandtears
new to this board
new to this board

Post by bloodandtears » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:40 am

out of curiosity.. does the ps-02 suffer from the problem of effects being applied to the line in as well as the guitar input?
0 x

Howard
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Howard » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:42 am

Insert effects are applied to the track. Send effects to the output.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:45 am

Yes PS02 has the same problem. If you add effects for a guitar they also get added to the LineIn, you can use Dual patches that are separate but there is no amp modeling in dual patches.
0 x

jegtar
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by jegtar » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:01 am

I no longer have a ps-04 but got a ps-02 and I am plugging my mp3 player into the aux in and it works great. I can pick any guitar patch and the music is not effected.
0 x

Howard
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Howard » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:44 am

Welcome back.

I'm always curious when someone drags up an old thread. It's interesting to see what we were thinking "way back then".

The original poster never came back, and it looks like we each interpreted the original question differently.

For one, I assumed the poster wanted to record a track to the PS-04, then play that back while jamming along with the guitar, perhaps recording the guitar on a different track.

Now I see the point - the PS-04 as a portable (ffects) unit to use to mix an external source (mp3 player) with your guitar for jamming by yourself using either headphones or line out to an amp or something - these units will do that - plus record your effort.
0 x