Do you pay more attention to the melody or to lyrics?

Anything related to music, recording, gear, or this forum. Friendly chat welcome. NO politics or religion please, there are plenty of other forums for both topics. Anything else is fine.
Forum rules
Be nice.

what do you prefer ?

Poll ended at Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:15 pm

Music
77%
Lyrics
23%

Total votes: 13

guitar fan
Yoda
Yoda

Do you pay more attention to the melody or to lyrics?

Post by guitar fan » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:41 am

Hello
When you listen to a new song ,what is the most important for you?

1/ a fantastic groove with silly lyrics
2/ a wonderful poem with a very basic arrangement

.....I think that I like both.... :D
Last edited by guitar fan on Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Guy

Rup
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Rup » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:51 am

Great question.

Out of words, tune or rhythm, it's tune for me every time.

When my misses comments on songs and their meaning, I have to confess that half the time I've no idea what the songs are even about! Strange.

Rupert
0 x

DCMaguire
Jedi
Jedi

Post by DCMaguire » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:24 pm

I hope you won't consider this a "cop out," but I firmly believe you have to have both.

While a fantastic groove may be fun to dance to, by itself it's like chocolate -- really nice for a few bites, but you can't live on it.

I think well crafted lyrics must be joined witt an appropriate melody to be fully realized.

"Yesterday
All my troubles seemed so far away
Now it looks as though they're here to stay
Oh, I believe in yesterday"

Not exactly the most amazingly insightful lyrics ever written, BUT . . . coupled with McCartney's melody, it is the song that defined the rock ballad, and still stands up as a great song 40 years later (BTW, it is the most covered song in the history of recording).

DCM
0 x

The Absolute Beginner

Post by The Absolute Beginner » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:04 pm

Good question, and a core question to how everyone perceives songs!

I have to say, although both is important, the melody is what attracts me straight away! I'm also the type of guy who rather doesn't remember the lyrics, and that can become annoying when I see others singing their hearts off. :roll:

But then again, I do care about the lyrics, and I love to read them while listening to a song; it's just that I don't remember them often enough. For the long-term pleasure, lyrics are important though, I would proclaim, and a strong political / emotional message with which you can identify definitely keeps you at it!!!

And oh yeah, I nearly forgot: it's not just the lyrics, but the lyrics's melody and rhythm all put together together with the instruments which make a great tune in the end. Sometimes, I even think that the voice is the prettiest "instrument" in an entire song.

Cheers,
Julian.
0 x

famico
Jedi
Jedi

Post by famico » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:11 pm

being predominantly a lyrical song writer i tend to listen to the lyrics more than the melody, though im not a great musician i can appreciate a nice melody i'd still try to figure out the mood of the writer by the weight of the words they write, but then with artists like at the drive in where one or two lines stick out and seem to carry the whole song it works differently.
good thread ill probably have more thoughts on it the minute i post this, someone else will beat me to it no doubt
0 x
be cheerful, strive to be happy.
famico

Betty sings about starlight and champagne. I sing about dead rabbits and blow jobs. When I say music is violence, she says it's love; when I say it's math, she says it's tap dancing. -Kristin Hersh

http://www.myspace.com/trevorsbargainbasement
http://www.soundclick.com/jungchoi
http://www.soundclick.com/thequietblackcat
http://trevorsbargainbasement.bandcamp.com

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:28 pm

I think my last offering sums up my answer quite well...... :P
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

Unstablxxx
The Force
The Force

Post by Unstablxxx » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:21 pm

I listen for musicianship and talent. Even with a great melody and/or great lyrics, if I don't hear talent in the band, I get bored very quickly.

MY :2cents:
0 x
Mike
-
-
Rocketing towards 5000 posts without a care in the world!
-
-
My solo music | My Eljam music | My Studio Tour | Vocal Effect Demo | Kristal Tutorial

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:43 pm

When I write a song it is lyrics and hopefully some kind of melody. Actually playing of music is by necessity last for me - or haven't you noticed. :oops:

When I listen, it all depends. If it's a fun rocker (ala' Stones "Rough Justice" off of Bigger Bang) than I don't care what the lyrics are about. If it's a serious song ala' Pink Floyd "Time" or whatever, than lyrics contribute to the overall song. Some songs are serious but lyrics still don't make real clear sense, ala' many by Bob Dylan. I must say that I really don't like intentionally "silly" songs, ala' "Rubber Ducky". But I do like McCartney's "Silly Love Songs". So go figure.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

topographic
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by topographic » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:26 pm

This is how I rank stuff:

1. melody
2. chord progression
3. sonic atmosphere
4. lyric

For me, REM is(was?) the ultimate band. In their best songs, Stipe's melodies are genuinely unique. Losing my Religion and The One I Love are the popular examples. Lyrically, either 1) I have no clue what he's talking about :D , or 2) they're so impressionistic that it doesn't make any difference anyway :wink: what he's saying.

Lyrics always come last for me.
0 x
"An artist is somebody who produces things that people don't need to have."
(Andy Warhol said that, I think.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chB_KFdVGdM&feature
https://www.facebook.com/melodic.poprocktrio

All recordings made on a ZOOM MRS-802CD or an HD8 using either an Audio Technica 4040 or a Shure Beta 57A.

Guitars: Martin D-18V, Martin OM-28V, Martin D-15, 2006 American Deluxe Butterscotch Telecaster, a 1996 "Candy Apple Red" Strat, and a souped-up Epi Les Paul.

"The rambling stream of consciousness stuff seems to have been replaced by much more coherent material..."

"Although the Razr got it, my Xoom didn’t get the facial unlock with ICS or Jellybean."

Sungodv: "I was with you until the part about the grass in the sidewalk...."

"Glad you kept it short."

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:22 am

The melody is what we whistle or hum. It's makes the song a song. So to me the melody is prime. Now, if we can come up with a great set of lyrics as in the aforementioned "Yesterday", that's icing on the cake, but the cake is a great and memorable melody IMHO.

:D John B.
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Vintage Organs & Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Armin
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Armin » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:35 am

I like songs without any vocals most.
0 x
Upgrade your Zoom R8 / R24 / HD16 / HD8 / MRS / PS04 / PS02 : http://www.soundside.de

Do you own a Kemper Profiling Amp? Check this out: http://www.soundside.de/shop/Profiles.htm

guitar fan
Yoda
Yoda

Post by guitar fan » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:56 am

voclizr wrote: that's icing on the cake, but the cake is a great and memorable melody IMHO.

Add a McCartney bass line ( fantastic on "silly love songs") and you get my favourite cake : The Saint-Honoré!!!!! :D

.....date of birth 1879....Paris!!!!
0 x
Guy

Howard
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Howard » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:11 am

Good topic Guy. Had this been a poll, hey, why not make it into a poll. As the topic starter you can do that, I think. Do the Edit command, etc..

As for my opinion, well, I guess it depends on what hooks me on the song. Some songs hook by the lyric, some by the melody. I'm probably a melody listener, but a lyric writer, if that makes any sense. I liked what Mike had to say about musicianship and talent. When it shines, it shines, but you can't put a shine on a...
0 x

bebop
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by bebop » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:48 pm

Like Armin I do love instrumental music, something like Sparks by the Who, my all time fave song.

I think pop/rock words suffer most from being on their own without the music. They can look pretty damn stupid and ridiculous on the lyric sheet. HOWEVER stick em in a song and even the daftest lyric can somehow magically meld into something new and wonderful. A weird alchemy takes place. Music is the strongest element though and bends the words to serve it.

excellent thread, lots of very interesting replies.

ya know, this is a damn fine forum. I'm proud to be a Zoomer/Zoomologist/Zoomophiliac/Zoomist blah blah blah.
0 x
Dave

http://members.soundclick.com/FAIR+FAITH

"HIGHLY POSITIVE-FLOW IN DESIGN." said TONTO

"A TOTALLY ARTIFICIAL PRODUCTION AESTHETIC" said ZEPPELIN

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:13 am

guitar fan wrote:
voclizr wrote: that's icing on the cake, but the cake is a great and memorable melody IMHO.

Add a McCartney bass line ( fantastic on "silly love songs") and you get my favourite cake : The Saint-Honoré!!!!! :D

.....date of birth 1879....Paris!!!!
Now you went and made me hungry,Guy!! And the worst part is that I'm two days away from grocery day!!!

JB
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Vintage Organs & Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

guitar fan
Yoda
Yoda

Post by guitar fan » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:12 pm

Howard wrote:Good topic Guy. Had this been a poll, hey, why not make it into a poll. As the topic starter you can do that, I think. Do the Edit command, etc..
Hi Howard and happy new year to you and your family.

Thanks!
Correct me if I'm wrong but when people create a poll on a forum, they propose more than two optionnal answers, don't they?
0 x
Guy

Howard
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Howard » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:35 pm

As I understand it, you can have as many or as few as you wish, even a single yes-no question, but why not try it out? You can remove it at will.
0 x