How much should we review songs?

Anything related to music, recording, gear, or this forum. Friendly chat welcome. NO politics or religion please, there are plenty of other forums for both topics. Anything else is fine.
Forum rules
Be nice.

How much should a good forum citizen review?

Poll ended at Mon May 05, 2008 9:59 pm

Everyone should review every song
No votes
Review a song for each one you post
No votes
Review three songs for every one you post
17%
Review five songs for every one you post
17%
You should review regularly, regardless of how many songs you post
67%

Total votes: 6

Chris C
dues paid
dues paid

How much should we review songs?

Post by Chris C » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:59 pm

Thought this might be interesting
0 x

nicka
Yoda
Yoda

Post by nicka » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:20 pm

None of the above

If you posts songs regulary then you should review regulary.

I havn't posted a song in over 12 months and still reveiw when i can as i have spent a lot of time at work or working away from home without the internet.

If everyone was to review 3 songs then everyone would only get 3 reviews and that would suck big time.
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:21 pm

I'm sort of none of the above too. I try to listen to every song. I wish we had a system where every song got listened to, but I don't think it can happen.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:18 pm

I concur with Nicka. And this is pretty much what goes on here.
Except fer da rash of post and runners recently. Weird thing that.
Wonder who chose 3 for every one? :shock:
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

Unstablxxx
The Force
The Force

Post by Unstablxxx » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:24 pm

It's a tough nut. Everyone has their own life and trying to standarize the reviewing process couldn't possibly take that into account.

I find I post more when I'm slow at work. When I get busy, I'm away from my desk and unable to listen as much as I'd like.

OTOH, I still try to review every tune, even if, lately, some of my reviews are on page 2 or 3.
0 x
Mike
-
-
Rocketing towards 5000 posts without a care in the world!
-
-
My solo music | My Eljam music | My Studio Tour | Vocal Effect Demo | Kristal Tutorial

Riffmaster
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Riffmaster » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:42 pm

I think everyone should review my songs 3 or 4 times apiece :lol:
Seriously though I try to get to as many as i can. I can't set a number.
0 x

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:33 am

Oh yeah!?? Well I say you should just review MY stuff and to hell with everybody else's!!! :twisted: :twisted: :P

Just kidding! :wink: :wink:

I think that if you expect to be reviewed you should make an honest attempt to review others as much as possible.

:D John B.
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Vintage Organs & Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Tonto2
The Force
The Force

Post by Tonto2 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:48 am

Unstablxxx wrote:... I still try to review every tune, even if, lately, some of my reviews are on page 2 or 3.
I tend to feel the way Mike has expressed here. :roll:

Although... I must add that if songs are not posted on 'low-bandwith friendly sites' like SoundCilck...
then it makes my listening/reviewing life a bit more difficult... and
sometimes I'm just not able to listen (no matter how much I'd like to do so :oops: ).

I try to do the best that I can... given my schedules and circumstances.

:)
Kev
0 x
. .

Tonto2
Father/Daughter Team
_________________________________________________________________________________
. Homemade music made around the campfire, at the beach, or just about anywhere!
Our SoundClick Site ? Our 1st Forum Post ? Our Portable Recording Gear ? Our Favorite Keyboard Artist

pstratman
Jedi
Jedi

Post by pstratman » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:39 pm

I think we should try our best and leave it at that, everyone is unique with different lives and responsibilities. However, if someone doesn't take the time to review your music, don't review their music, or review it if you feel like it, I don't think someone else should make that decision for you. I personally don't want to limit myself to this "exclusive" or limited listening practice- I've discovered some excellent music on this site just by listening blindly, I didn't take into consideration if the person or persons listened to my music or not. I guess I like to live on the edge. Should we discourage those dedicated musicians that spend more time practicing, or writing songs then sitting in front of a computer. Are these people less important, because they miss some postings while working- perhaps they don't belong here but I don't believe that. Equity doesn't always mean that things should be spelled out, or proceed in an identical manner, if our roles are different. We are not all the same people here- thank God! Listening to each other is a celebration of our differences/ and similarities. I certainly understand the frustrations, is their a positive way to encourage people to listen to others above and beyond the simple incentive built into the site that provides us with a ranking based upon postings- Jedi, etc., etc. I've "earned my dues", but it doesn't always feel that way. A final thought this site is a blast, I think we all enjoy listening to others, and posting our own music and receiving feedback. I don't think we should prescribe listening practices, because what we end up with is a bunch of homework that we have to do on top of all our other responsibilities. I like how Monty posts his personal listening philosophy- his expectations are clear and I respect that, and it works for him- this may not be right for someone else, it's not what I would ask. I think we all need to try our best.

Phil
0 x

DCMaguire
Jedi
Jedi

Post by DCMaguire » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:17 am

If you expect people to review your stuff, you should review others' stuff.

There's always room for exceptions, but it seems to me that common courtesy would dictate the above as a minimum.

DCM
0 x

Unstablxxx
The Force
The Force

Post by Unstablxxx » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:10 am

PStrat wrote:I guess I like to live on the edge.
You wild man, you! LOL
0 x
Mike
-
-
Rocketing towards 5000 posts without a care in the world!
-
-
My solo music | My Eljam music | My Studio Tour | Vocal Effect Demo | Kristal Tutorial

pstratman
Jedi
Jedi

Post by pstratman » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:28 am

DC for the record I agree with you 100%, out of common courtesy you should review other people's work- I'm not saying that you shouldn't- but what I am saying is that- if I'm only going to review people that review me, I would probably miss out on some cool music, because many people don't review me(many do), also once you start saying to people you need to do this or else, then you need to put into place consequences, you would have to start throwing people off the site, or limiting what they can do. This negates the whole purpose of this site to me- what makes it special is that we get to post, listen, learn, and most importantly have fun. However, if there are any jobs for forum police- sign me up- and we'll take those unfair members down- one computer at a time- sounds ridiculous doesn't it- of course I'm joking!

Phil
0 x

monty
Yoda
Yoda

Post by monty » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:34 am

Good post Phil.
I would like to add-although I stick to my policy,I still do listen to other tunes.I just dont review them :wink:
0 x
NEW REVIEWING TERMS-
If you reviewed my last song,I'll review your next one.Sorry,no exceptions.

Cracks wrote-"The thing to remember about this board is that most people here write songs too. We are not a passive listening audience who have bought tickets to be entertained.

Soundclick name:Angel White
http://www.soundclick.com/pro/view/03/d ... tent=music

http://www.myspace.com/angelwhitemusic

DCMaguire
Jedi
Jedi

Post by DCMaguire » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:58 pm

pstratman wrote:DC for the record I agree with you 100%, out of common courtesy you should review other people's work- I'm not saying that you shouldn't- but what I am saying is that- if I'm only going to review people that review me, I would probably miss out on some cool music, because many people don't review me(many do), also once you start saying to people you need to do this or else, then you need to put into place consequences, you would have to start throwing people off the site, or limiting what they can do. This negates the whole purpose of this site to me- <snip>

Phil
Phil - I wasn't responding to your post.
I would never support making ANY set policy on reviewing.
I was just making an observation; offering my $0.02.

DCM
0 x

pstratman
Jedi
Jedi

Post by pstratman » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:16 pm

It was a good point that you made regardless!
Phil
0 x

Chris C
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Chris C » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:58 pm

think we should try our best and leave it at that, everyone is unique with different lives and responsibilities. However, if someone doesn't take the time to review your music, don't review their music, or review it if you feel like it, I don't think someone else should make that decision for you. I personally don't want to limit myself to this "exclusive" or limited listening practice- I've discovered some excellent music on this site just by listening blindly, I didn't take into consideration if the person or persons listened to my music or not.
Nicely said. I think I must associate people by their face, because frankly I'm not sure who reviews mine and who doesn't. So I don't really use that criteria to review. I also listen to more songs than I review. Sometimes I just don't have much to say.
0 x

chf
Yoda
Yoda

Post by chf » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:45 pm

What a bold question.

Hasn't there been a self-flagellating string about this really recently, though?

This place is going to disappear up its own fundament if it doesn't keep its eye on the crotchets and treble clefs.

Make music, not anxiety... :D

Chas
0 x