Reverb- A Fickle Mistress

Anything related to music, recording, gear, or this forum. Friendly chat welcome. NO politics or religion please, there are plenty of other forums for both topics. Anything else is fine.
Forum rules
Be nice.

What's your preference?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:06 pm

Pile it on!!
25%
If You hear it, it's too much.
13%
Never use it.
No votes
A ill dab'll do.
63%

Total votes: 8

Riffmaster
Yoda
Yoda

Reverb- A Fickle Mistress

Post by Riffmaster » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:06 pm

I love reverb and use a lot. thing is it's probably mucking my mixes up. How does everyone approach verb?
0 x

James Ryce
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by James Ryce » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:39 pm

I find it a strange bird to mix. Some songs it sounds like I have way to much while others it seems to be missing. I play around until I like the sound on a number of different systems. With headphones on and the laptop, it sometimes sounds like there isn't enough, but burn it or upload it to hear it on other systems and yikes!

Trial and error.

But I loves me some verb ... James.
0 x
funky country boy.
Website http://www.jamesryce.com
NEW CD "James Ryce ... ALL MY BEST, PLUS 12 OTHER SONGS"
Sales via PayPal http://www.jamesryce.com/Purchase_The_Music.php

Riffmaster
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Riffmaster » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:52 pm

I voted lil dab even though I pile it on :oops:
0 x

Unstablxxx
The Force
The Force

Post by Unstablxxx » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:10 pm

You need a category just for Johnny Cracks, Riff, who proclaimed that he even puts it on his pizza.

I vote for a little, however, on the first mix, I usually put too much.
0 x
Mike
-
-
Rocketing towards 5000 posts without a care in the world!
-
-
My solo music | My Eljam music | My Studio Tour | Vocal Effect Demo | Kristal Tutorial

Tonto2
The Force
The Force

Post by Tonto2 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:17 pm

I only used it once... for the LMOE song. Most people said I over did it. :oops: Sooooo... we don't think we'll use it again anytime soon. :wink: :lol:
0 x
. .

Tonto2
Father/Daughter Team
_________________________________________________________________________________
. Homemade music made around the campfire, at the beach, or just about anywhere!
Our SoundClick Site ? Our 1st Forum Post ? Our Portable Recording Gear ? Our Favorite Keyboard Artist

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:20 pm

Yes, I am a defender of the 'verb, no doubt, but I usually try for a 'lil bab, although I must admit I probably pour it by most standards.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:50 pm

You also have to worry about the exact reverb you use. Crappy one's will ruin a mix with only a little. A good one will work wonders even if you pile it on.

Zoetrope always tells me to add more reverb to my vocals so when I'm done I always add that one touch more, doesn't matter how much extra I add he still tells me to add more.
0 x

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:39 pm

It depends on the song and the effects I want. If I want just a straight sounding voice, I'll use just a touch because it is thought by some that to not use any verb results in an unnatural sound, but if I really want heavy reflection, I'll pile it on. I'm more of a chorusing and delay lover though, so I voted for a dab.

:D John B.
0 x

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:58 pm

Riff, are you talkin' track or master?.......
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

Riffmaster
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Riffmaster » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:07 pm

Steve, I'm talking individual tracks here..I'm not big on reverbing the master. One reason I started this thread is I'm trying to talk myself into getting a better reverb plug-in. The one that comes with Acid is not cutting it much. I'd like to get a nice stereo verb with pre and post Eq. I'm also gonna start muting all other tracks as I add reverb. I'm old school and like noticeable reverb, but I gotta get a grip on it.
0 x

maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by maceman » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:10 pm

Riff,

If you have the coinage, the best reverb module i've heard to date is in the izotope's ozone 3 plugin (which is a mastering suite). It is wonderful.

Anyways, to answer the question- to me it all depends on the song. I would say just slightly more than a tad is nice :lol:

maceman
0 x

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:24 pm

Riffs got it, Matt....a lot of us have it...and other things.... 8)
Riff, why dontcha try Gersic . com. They have lot's o' free VST plug it ins.....lots of verb plugs fer ya ta try.

...and what's an ill dab'll?.... :lol:
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

Riffmaster
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Riffmaster » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:31 pm

I'm hoping somebody will help me blow Uncle Sam's money :lol: I got an itch. I've heard a couple of Lexicon reverbs and they are unreal, but they may be Pro Tools only now.
0 x

bebop
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by bebop » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:14 am

I try and keep the drums clear of reverb unless its a very quick plate type one. A drummer friend once told me that reverb slows any rythmn down and hes right, it does something to the higher end of the kit, the sizzle and punch end.

I normally put reverb on vocals but a little echo does the same thing and really opens up the mix sometimes.

As others have said it all depends on the song. One thing i have noticed, the faster the song the less reverb i put on.
0 x
Dave

http://members.soundclick.com/FAIR+FAITH

"HIGHLY POSITIVE-FLOW IN DESIGN." said TONTO

"A TOTALLY ARTIFICIAL PRODUCTION AESTHETIC" said ZEPPELIN

MatBio
Yoda
Yoda

Post by MatBio » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:10 am

There are 4 things that are essential (not my opinion but a fact) in a track:

1. Gate: I think people in this forum hardly ever use it.
2. Compression: easier to screw things up than make them better if you don't understand it.
3. EQ: same as compressor
4. Reverb: Very important! It gives you depth, I mean it allows for a 3D mix instead of just 2D.

As tony says, the biggest problem with reverb is the quality. Reverb has toi be good, if not, don't use it.

Some things I always keep in mind when using it:

1. WHy stereo reverb? It makes things muddy, try to avoid stereo reverb.
2. If you can hear the reverb instead of just feeling it, you are doing something wrong (unless a special effect is desired)
3. Early reflexions and diffusion. Only good reverbs have this. They are the ones that make the reverb sounding great in a mix, and help position the instrument in a 3D space
0 x
Tomas/Blues Tom/Matbio
MySpace