BandCamp.com - a quick review

Anything related to music, recording, gear, or this forum. Friendly chat welcome. NO politics or religion please, there are plenty of other forums for both topics. Anything else is fine.
Forum rules
Be nice.
guitar fan
Yoda
Yoda

Re: BandCamp.com - a quick review

Post by guitar fan » Wed May 20, 2009 8:34 am

No, DCM, I don't.(and please don't be confused, I didn't mean that I would do it myself)
But I like the way "amazon", for example, presents all the cd's with a "listen to samples" option.Just a preview ,but enough to decide if you want to buy or not.

Zoe, I'm not convinced and I'll give a try, just a short recording test.

All your pages are wonderful.
0 x
Guy

Gu Djin
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Gu Djin » Wed May 20, 2009 9:42 am

Thanks Zoetrope for bringing this to our attention. The site look good. Not sure if it's applicable to people like myself, or those that are looking for revenue.

Out curiosity I've signed up and put a single tune as a test piece.

Very slow to upload the wavefile.

I've also put the same tune up to soundclick as standard mp3 , to compare the two. Unfortunately my ears ain't what they used to be, and I'm not sure if I can hear any difference on the streaming, but the odd comments I've had back are that BandCamp is best, which odd because they're both 128 bit mp3 files.

http://gudjin.bandcamp.com/track/shooting-the-breeze-2

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7617127

It's an acoustic guitar piece with minimum effects, so any difference would be quite marked. It's quite long - so skip to the last third where the guitar harmonics are strongest.
0 x
1964 Guild Starfire 5, MiM Fender Telecaster, MiM Stratocaster, K Yairi and other various acoustic guitars and music making boxes - including mandolin, bouzouki and 5 string banjo, uke and Dean acoustic bass - And M-Audio Keyboards - DAW LogicPro X

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Wed May 20, 2009 9:53 am

guitar fan wrote:
Zoetrope wrote:the newest place to post and sell your music online
Ok, I'm back...I must be stupid!! Image
All your (very nice!!) pages don't show just a 30 seconds preview of each song, allright?
So, why do you want me to pay, If I can get all the songs for free , just running Mixcraft or any other recorder? :?: :?:
DCMaguire wrote:Do we really want to open up another discussion on the ethics of ripping music? :hammer:
Hey, now play nice, guyz!! Put the baseball bats and the clawhammers away!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I think it might be kinda like an "Honor Box" kinda thing like when you go to your mechanic to get you car fixed and they have boxes of cookies or crackers on the counter from charities where you're supposed to put a buck or two into the box for the charity and then take (one) pack of treats. Sure, you could reach into the box when nobody's looking a grab a pack of cookies without putting any money in and get away with it, but you're "on your honor" to do the right thing and pay up before you take a pack of cookies. I think this might be what's going on here.

:D JB

EDIT-OOOOPPS. Scratch that! I missed the part where he said he could charge for it. :oops:
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Sonar X3 Studio, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings & Vintage Organs, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

guitar fan
Yoda
Yoda

Post by guitar fan » Thu May 21, 2009 11:13 am

Zoetrope wrote: Who can resist clicking the play button?
http://dognutz.bandcamp.com/
0 x
Guy

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Thu May 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Does Dognutz have a stalker ???
0 x

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Thu May 21, 2009 12:51 pm

Stalking the stalker?
With stockings on?.....
Man Guy, where did you get that pic?.....:hilarious:
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

guitar fan
Yoda
Yoda

Post by guitar fan » Fri May 22, 2009 8:23 am

Pic, Steve?
Oh, you're probably talking about those nice..... red curtains :lol:
Last edited by guitar fan on Sun May 24, 2009 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Guy

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Sat May 23, 2009 4:22 pm

Sold my first song to a stranger :) Someone sent me $1 for the album. I think this makes me a professional !!!

How much tax do I have to pay 8)
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Sat May 23, 2009 8:40 pm

Don't forget to pay your agent, your manager, and your lawyer. My bill is in the mail.
0 x

guitar fan
Yoda
Yoda

Post by guitar fan » Sun May 24, 2009 11:49 am

Congrats Tony, your CD is very cool;
0 x
Guy

guitar fan
Yoda
Yoda

Post by guitar fan » Sun May 24, 2009 4:28 pm

Zoetrope wrote:
If you join up post your URL here and let us know what you think!
I forgot to thank you. ;)
You were right, BandCamp is very cool.

Uploading the tracks takes a long time, and I got this popup very often...=>

There's no "no-repeat background option", I mean the image is repeated both horizontally and vertically.

Anyway, funny and I wanted to give it a try. ;)
http://guyd.bandcamp.com/
0 x
Guy

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Sun May 24, 2009 8:30 pm

It definitely takes patience, although thankfully I haven't gotten that error (yet).
The album sounds good. Nice clear recording. :^:
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:01 pm

This just in to the newsroom:
Reporting to SoundScan (This Feature Dedicated to the Memory of Snuggles)

Sales on Bandcamp will soon be reported to Nielsen SoundScan, the company behind the Billboard charts. Before we can start submitting weekly stats, however, we need you to please add your UPC codes to your albums, and ISRC codes to your tracks. Just go to each album or track’s page, click Edit, and towards the bottom you’ll see new fields for this data.
More info at BandCamp Blog
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:29 pm

What chart position does my one song sale get me ???
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:19 pm

A quick update: http://blog.bandcamp.com/2009/08/24/bon ... oad-items/

Executive summary: You can now add any digital file (a movie, a picture, a pdf booklet, whatever) as a bonus item for those that buy your album. Cool idea.
0 x

guitar fan
Yoda
Yoda

Post by guitar fan » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:25 pm

Cool.
I hope they will add the possibility to check how many people have taken a look to your page.
At the moment you don't know.
0 x
Guy

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:34 pm

Hey, did everyone get their Bandcamp email? It will be from "Ethan Diamond". It's not junk mail. I almost deleted it. Here is what it says:

Hi there The Cracks,

You're receiving this message because you currently make one or more of your tracks or albums available on Bandcamp at what we affectionately call "normal quality" (and which translates to 128k mp3). In an effort to further streamline our user interface, pave the way for some new features, and solidify our reputation as the go-to spot for high-quality music, we're dropping support for 128k downloads in about a week. After this change we will only support "best quality" (320k mp3 and more) downloads. Here's what this may mean to you:

If you have a track or album set up as a free, normal quality download only: Download will be disabled for that track or album. If you'd like to continue making that track or album available on Bandcamp, click Edit on its page, and switch download to "best quality." You can still keep it free, of course.

If you have a track or album set up as a paid, normal quality download only: It will soon automatically switch to being available as "best quality." If you don't want this to happen, click Edit on its page, and uncheck "enable paid download."

Finally, if you have a track or album set up as both a free, normal quality download, and a paid, best quality download: It will switch to being available as a paid, best quality download only. If you still want to make payment for that track or album optional, we recommend you switch it to a name-your-price download with a zero minimum.

If you have any questions about this change please feel free to reply to this message.

Thanks for using Bandcamp!
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson