BandCamp.com - a quick review

Anything related to music, recording, gear, or this forum. Friendly chat welcome. NO politics or religion please, there are plenty of other forums for both topics. Anything else is fine.
Forum rules
Be nice.
Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: BandCamp.com - a quick review

Post by Zoetrope » Mon May 11, 2009 8:18 am

maceman wrote:I find their servers are quite slow right now, so trying to get most up. Must be tons uploading right now.
This is why it's a good idea for them to grow first and add features later. It's tough to predict how fast people will start signing up and how much they're going to upload. Once that stabilizes and they have enough servers in place, they can start playing with features.

That said, I haven't had any problems yet.
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Mon May 11, 2009 8:28 am

Oh yeah, and look at the cool features they have for stats:
Watch this video
0 x

maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by maceman » Mon May 11, 2009 12:31 pm

Good to know you haven't experienced any delays. It may be a time of day thing as I have had times when it worked really well as well. The one thing i notice is that they are signing lots of new bands, so this may explain the slow down. It is still workable and worth it for sure.

I like how they embedded defender in the stats :lol:

One thing that would be good is if they have an icon or something that we can put on our various webpages, so people will be drawn to bandcamp as well. I notice when you use the 'share' feature, that you can make pretty neat little one song or whole album players you can embed.

***Tip to myspace users here that like this thing. On the share feature, the code for myspace doesn't work in myspace, HOWEVER, if you use the bottom option 'other', that code works in myspace. When i say doesn't work, what i mean is that it does embed, but it is all scrambled, whereas the other one seems to embed smoothly. The only other issue i have found is, if you want to embed in someone comments on myspace, the comments width is smaller than the default width that bandcamp gives. If you tweak the code like i did(changed from 400 wide to 300 wide), it will work better, but, it still truncates it somewhat. Most people have disabled html in the comments anyways, so this only applies to where you can embed, if you want to spread your music***

Overall, this is a great find zoe, and one of my favourite sites for sure. I love the look and ease with bandcamp as opposed to other things(like lastfm etc...)

Maceman

ps. please keep this thread alive with other neat videos or finds as the site progresses. That last link you posted showed me another feature on the stats page i didn't know you could do....
0 x

guitar fan
Yoda
Yoda

Post by guitar fan » Mon May 11, 2009 5:32 pm

Deleted
Last edited by guitar fan on Tue May 12, 2009 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Guy

guitar fan
Yoda
Yoda

Post by guitar fan » Mon May 11, 2009 6:07 pm

Deleted
0 x
Guy

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Tue May 12, 2009 8:04 pm

Zoetrope wrote: 1) you have to upload a wav file, which takes a long time,
That alone screws me out of the running. I still have crappy slow dial up and it would take 12 years to upload all my stuff, and before anybody suggests "Why don't you just join the 21st Century and get a high speed connection", It's not available in my area. You see, Verizon has chosen to keep Western Berks County Pennsylvania in the dark ages. :twisted:

Seems like a neat thing though. Shame. :cry:

v.
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Sonar X3 Studio (RIP), Reason 7,
NI Session Strings & Vintage Organs, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

DCMaguire
Jedi
Jedi

Post by DCMaguire » Tue May 12, 2009 8:42 pm

No cable in your area either, voc?
0 x

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Tue May 12, 2009 9:22 pm

DCMaguire wrote:No cable in your area either, voc?
Yeah, I got Comcast for cable, but the way my current place is set up I couldn't do cable modem. Might be moving by years end.

;) :D v.
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Sonar X3 Studio (RIP), Reason 7,
NI Session Strings & Vintage Organs, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Wed May 13, 2009 10:53 am

Zoetrope wrote:Oh yeah, and look at the cool features they have for stats:
Watch this video
Something is wrong with my stats. They all read "0". I wonder who I contact about that one. :flush:
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Sun May 17, 2009 2:10 pm

0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sun May 17, 2009 2:27 pm

Looks good. :^:
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Sun May 17, 2009 8:29 pm

Look how much better that is than the soundclick page. Who can resist clicking the play button?
0 x

Polly
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Polly » Mon May 18, 2009 12:34 pm

Interesting. I like the simplicity of the layout. But as more features are added that must change. I'm not sure on a comparison with Soundclick yet.
0 x
Song writing is its own reward

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Mon May 18, 2009 2:39 pm

They actually could continue to keep things pretty clean, even with more features, depending on how they do it. The way they use drop down menus right now kind of points the way forward as far as that goes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

guitar fan
Yoda
Yoda

Post by guitar fan » Wed May 20, 2009 1:37 am

Zoetrope wrote:the newest place to post and sell your music online
Ok, I'm back...I must be stupid!! Image
All your (very nice!!) pages don't show just a 30 seconds preview of each song, allright?
So, why do you want me to pay, If I can get all the songs for free , just running Mixcraft or any other recorder? :?: :?:
0 x
Guy

DCMaguire
Jedi
Jedi

Post by DCMaguire » Wed May 20, 2009 6:46 am

Do we really want to open up another discussion on the ethics of ripping music? :hammer:
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Wed May 20, 2009 6:49 am

The download of the 128 mp3 is currently free on my page. I could change that and charge for the 128 mp3. The download of the higher quality download is pay what you want down to a minimum price.

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking. Are you saying that you could record the streaming mp3 in any event? Yes, that's true. But it's laborious and would result in a lower quality recording than even the 128 mp3 (because you would have to re-encode the mp3, and would likely add an AD/DA conversion in there.)
0 x