BandCamp.com - a quick review

Anything related to music, recording, gear, or this forum. Friendly chat welcome. NO politics or religion please, there are plenty of other forums for both topics. Anything else is fine.
Forum rules
Be nice.
The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Re: BandCamp.com - a quick review

Post by The Cracks » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:37 pm

I hope this doesn't mean I have to edit each song. I just doing it for the entire album. I don't have it in me right now to edit each song.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:58 pm

Way to screw up a good thing.

I guess, like many,they figured they need to start making money but as usual they do it by removing the things that got us there in the first place.
0 x

maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by maceman » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:50 am

This isn't going to affect me. The whole reason I joined bandcamp was that it offered a place where I can 'store' the high quality wavs, rather than all the opther sites that were simply MP3. I had imagined that is why others liked it as well and uploaded top quality files.

Once you upload the wav, they do the other processing into various formats for you. I don't have a problem with this. I realized if people were to buy any music, they would want the highest quality, not 128 kbps.

Unless i am missing something, let me know...
Cheers,
Maceman
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:20 am

You're not missing anything but I think it's an incorrect assumption that everyone wants the highest quality. I get all my MP3's at 128.

The difference, and I could be wrong, was that you could give the 128 for free and charge for the higher quality. You can't do that now, you can only offer all your music for "pay what you want" including free, which means any quality for free if you want to offer that option.
0 x

maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by maceman » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:18 am

I see.

So, when you say that you get all your mp3's at 128, are you referring to when you purchase songs, you try to get them at 128? If i understand you correctly, then my quesion would be... "why would you buy an mp3 at 128 if you could get it in a higher quality for the same price"?

I understand the free offering point, but it sounds like you can still offer that, no? I can see how SJ(sean John) would be mad if he uploaded everything at 128. That wuld stink to have to reupload, i agree....

btw- on a slightly different note... I have started making 3 subdirectories for new songs now:

Song
*Song(128)...... (for soundclick and such)
*Song(256).......(for t61 and such)
*Song(wav).......(for bandcamp and such)

Stupid, i agree, but this is why i like the wav upload and then they process lower quality for you. Saves us work!

Maceman
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:25 am

Previously you could offer 128 for free and higher quality for pay, I don't think you have that option any more, if you want to offer free it gets offered on all your higher quality offerings.

Why do I get 128, space is the primary factor combined with the fact that I don't care or notice the quality change much. In the old days I went with 128 cause I could get more songs on a player that way, now it's just a habit. Rest assured I am not the only one :) Most of my sons friends have small memory based players, phones etc. and they all go with 128, that's why it's important to make sure your low quality formats sound good.
0 x

maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by maceman » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:57 pm

..not sure if anyone else got word of this yet, but you can now apparantly sell merchandise on Bandcamp. This may one day excite me... one day :lol:

http://blog.bandcamp.com/
0 x

guitar fan
Yoda
Yoda

Post by guitar fan » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:14 am

maceman wrote:..not sure if anyone else got word of this yet
I got an email about this yesterday.

Have you noticed the new presentation, with the player on the left side?....I don't like it at all!!
0 x
Guy

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:48 am

My new bandcamp.com LP is up. It's called "Uneven":

http://thecracks.bandcamp.com/album/uneven

Six years ago I picked the guitar back up (if my playing before that could have been called "picking the guitar up" at all,) to give songwriting one more shot. Well, I have given it a shot and have written some 50+ songs (not including collaborations) and the results have been uneven. Some are ok, some aren't so ok, some are fairly well written, and none are without flaws. But I've had pure fun and creative satisfaction doing it. I've come to terms with the fact that I'll never be able to write a song like my favorites (Rolling Stones, Beatles, etc.) because of my limited music ability. But I've bumped along as best I can. I'm not done writing songs, but I probably will try some new avenues in recording and presenting them for a while.

Thanks to all of you for teaching me everything I know about home recording. :^:
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Chris C
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Chris C » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:40 pm

The Cracks wrote:
Zoetrope wrote:Oh yeah, and look at the cool features they have for stats:
Watch this video
Something is wrong with my stats. They all read "0". I wonder who I contact about that one. :flush:
I just checked my stats for the first time in a while. My song from the 1 minute song challenge awhile back has 2 skips, meaning the user stopped before 10% of the song had played. Six seconds? That's all the chance I get? Better have a damn catch intro! : )
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:23 pm

My new album is uploaded to Bandcamp:

2011 RPM Challenge by The Cracks:

http://thecracks.bandcamp.com/album/2011-rpm-challenge

:stick: Free at last!
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:24 am

Damn record company. When I canceled my fall tour, they said I still owed them a live album, but I only had six songs recorded. So they looked at my 2009 "For Better or Worse" live LP and said it had 15 songs on it and that that was too many. So they removed four songs off of that LP and slapped them on with my six most recent live recordings and called the "new" album "Some Old, Some New - The Cracks Live Volume Two". When I protested, they asked what was I so upset about? They reminded me that nobody listens to this crap anyway and, besides, "you are the record company". :nuts:

Oh well, it meets my contractual agreement and frees me up to write some new songs for 2012.

Here is the new live album "Some Old, Some New" on Bandcamp:

http://thecracks.bandcamp.com/album/some-old-some-new

And here is the old "For Better or Worse":

http://thecracks.bandcamp.com/album/for-better-or-worse
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

petedeuxwheels
The Force
The Force
Location: Denmark: a Scots turnip living next to a bunch of Swedes

Post by petedeuxwheels » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:15 pm

The Cracks wrote:my contractual agreement ...
You have contractual agreement with bandcamp?

Peter
0 x

m24p
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by m24p » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:25 pm

petedeuxwheels wrote:
The Cracks wrote:my contractual agreement ...
You have contractual agreement with bandcamp?

Peter
No, with his "Record Company".
The Cracks wrote:Damn record company. ... They reminded me that nobody listens to this crap anyway and, besides, "you are the record company". :nuts:
0 x
Hi Zoetrope! [url=http://soundcloud.com/m24p]Soundcloud[/url]

petedeuxwheels
The Force
The Force
Location: Denmark: a Scots turnip living next to a bunch of Swedes

Post by petedeuxwheels » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:49 pm

What’s going on m24? Have you taken to reviewing folks comments? Certainly a new innovation on the forum. Could be a bit of a laugh. This is the second comment of mine you’ve answered on behalf of someone else within the past 24 hours.

To be honest, I was hoping for the horse’s mouth ...

Pete
0 x

m24p
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by m24p » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:57 pm

petedeuxwheels wrote:What’s going on m24? Have you taken to reviewing folks comments? Certainly a new innovation on the forum. Could be a bit of a laugh. This is the second comment of mine you’ve answered on behalf of someone else within the past 24 hours.

To be honest, I was hoping for the horse’s mouth ...

Pete
I gave you a quote straight from Cracks himself. What more do you want? :P
0 x
Hi Zoetrope! [url=http://soundcloud.com/m24p]Soundcloud[/url]

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:16 am

Pete, m24p had it right. It was a joke. I am the record company. The fact is I wasn't happy with the recordings I was getting and I was kind of tired of playing my old songs, but I already had six songs recorded, so I just took four from the other "live album" (which had 15 total) and made a second "live album". The record companies used to do stuff like that all the time. The Stones "Got Live If You It" actually had some studeo recordings with crowd noise mixed in. At least mine are all live. 8)
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website