Live music events.

Anything related to music, recording, gear, or this forum. Friendly chat welcome. NO politics or religion please, there are plenty of other forums for both topics. Anything else is fine.
Forum rules
Be nice.
The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Live music events.

Post by The Cracks » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:38 am

I noticed there wasn't a thread on concerts people may have been too. I love going to concerts. Over the past 12 or so months I've seen Bob Dylan, Lucinda Williams, Don McLean, and Loretta Lynn. All were great shows.

This spring and summer I will have the chance to see my big three (all again):

Bob Dylan - this Friday night at University of Delaware. I bought my ticket today. :metal: While Bob can't sing like he used to (even if he couldn't sing then either by the standards of many), he is a real pro and always a thrill to see. This will be my fourth time seeing him. I guess I am becoming a "Bob Cat" (a fan that travels around to Dylan shows), but only when he comes to my area. I hear this time around he is playing some songs a bit stripped down and some from his newest album. Cool!

Rolling Stones - in mid-June in Philadelphia. Tickets go on sale Monday. They have an $85.00 dollar special where you have to buy two tickets and you won't know until the night of the show where the seats are. They could be up front or anywhere else. I hope to get two of those. If not, I may pass on the boys this time around as I've seen them many times and they really aren't bringing anything new to the game this time around.

Paul McCartney - mid July in Washington. Tickets go on sale this Friday. I'll see how much they are and grab a few if not too expensive. I've seen Macca before and he was great. I'd love to see him again.

:metal:

Anyone else been to any shows lately?
Last edited by The Cracks on Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

New Day
dues paid
dues paid

Re: Concerts.

Post by New Day » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:54 pm

I saw/felt Roger Waters perform The Wall last Summer.

E-P-I-C.

The show was at Yankee Stadium. Unfortunately, we were seated in the nosebleed section, but on the upside, we had a pretty decent view of part of the NYC skyline throughout the show. We also got pretty close to the floating pig. G.E. Smith did a wholly admirable job of playing Gilmour's parts, which is certainly not an easy art to pull off.

I would leap at the chance to go again. Did I mention E-P-I-C?
0 x
Some music of mine at http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1113115

gwood
Yoda
Yoda

Post by gwood » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:35 am

Saw Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds at the Beacon Theater in NYC a few weeks ago. Dangerously awesome.
0 x
Music by G. Wood/Undercover Bonobos (me!):
Bandcamp: http://oneoffrekerdz.bandcamp.com/

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:38 am

I saw three bands at Metro this past weekend (and have the pictures to prove it!) Gramps the Vamp, The Outfit, and The Sweeps. Good stuff. Live music is a wonderful thing.
0 x

manzana
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by manzana » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:15 pm

i am going to see eric Johnson this sunday.
0 x

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:08 pm

I'm not a great fan of "big" concerts and avoid them I'm afraid. The last gig I went to was The Magic Band in a fairly small venue in Brighton (they were excellent btw :) ). In a couple of weeks I'm going to see Star and Dagger in a smaller venue in Brighton and just to round it off I'm seeing Gregory Page at an even smaller venue in Hove at the end of May ;)
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:59 am

Just bought my Sir Paul McCartney tickets at Nationals Park in Washington on July 12th. They weren't too expensive and we won't be up in the nose bleed seats either. :metal:

I would have gotten better seats but the system makes you register and the links weren't working. By the time I figured it out most of the really good seats were gone. :evil:

Next up: The Rolling Stones (tickets go on sale Monday morning).
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:07 am

dickl wrote:I'm not a great fan of "big" concerts and avoid them I'm afraid.
I can understand that. Waiting in line to take a piss in a smelly port-a-pot isn't my idea of a good time either. I hate the stale beer smell too. The smell of weed in the air doesn't bother me as much. But I must admit I do love a big stadium show. I love the lights and the huge stages.

As a side note, the Stones are playing Hyde Park in London in July. The first show tickets (65,000) sold out in three minutes! The company said they would have sold out faster but the system couldn't process the sales any quicker. They've added a second show.

I'm seeing Bob Dylan in a 5,000 seat auditorium tonight. Every seat will be good. I'm bringing my binoculars so I can study Dylan up close. :metal:
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations

My website

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:08 pm

The Cracks wrote:
dickl wrote:I'm not a great fan of "big" concerts and avoid them I'm afraid.
I can understand that. Waiting in line to take a piss in a smelly port-a-pot isn't my idea of a good time either. I hate the stale beer smell too. ..................
It's just me Sean. I hate being in big crowds. I go to football (soccer) games now and again and I'm always uncomfortable being surrounded by so many people. I used to hate festivals as well unless I was playing at them.

It's the reason I go to smaller, local venues as I still enjoy live music. Luckily we're blessed with some very good venues in Brighton :)

Hope your gigs go well.
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:19 pm

dickl wrote:In a couple of weeks I'm going to see Star and Dagger in a smaller venue in Brighton...
:metal: Great stuff!
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations

My website

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Re: Live music events.

Post by The Cracks » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:21 am

Bob Dylan was outstanding last night. To say that Bob Dylan "can't sing anymore" is completely missing the beauty and artistry of his modern day show. (Could Bob Dylan ever really sing?)

I watched the entire show through binoculars and I can attest that Dylan is into every song. He makes hand and facial expressions and strikes poses to accentuate lyrical or musical phrases, and he rocks back and forth in time. After each song the lights go down and I observed Dylan standing looking at the band with his hands on his hips in the dark after the band seemed to lose their timing at the end of one number.

Dylan does not play guitar anymore (at least not in any of the shows I've seen). He stands center stage and sings and play harmonica on some songs and plays either piano or organ on others. He piano and organ playing is very minimalist and he appeared to be playing with just his right hand and at the high end on most songs.

His band cooks.

His performance was very moving and I must admit that my eyes teared up as he sang "Visions of Johanna".

Great show!
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations

My website

manzana
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by manzana » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:11 pm

eric johnson live.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:41 am

I just got two of the $85.00 tickets for the Stones in Philly on June 21st! :metal: I could be seated anywhere in the arena, but even if I am in the rafters, I get to see (kind of) and hear the Stones for $85.00! :rock:
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations

My website

gwood
Yoda
Yoda

Post by gwood » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:07 pm

The Cracks wrote:I just got two of the $85.00 tickets for the Stones in Philly on June 21st!
I got on right at 10, waited on the "queue" for two hours before I gave up, going for the same date. How long did you wait?

Got tickets for Rancid in Philly instead. Goodbye Mick, hello Tim. :metal:
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:18 am

gwood wrote: I got on right at 10, waited on the "queue" for two hours before I gave up, going for the same date. How long did you wait?
gwood, the $85.00 ticket deal didn't come online exactly at 10 a.m. when the rest of the tickets went on sale. You probably got caught up in the general ticket sale line. I kept refreshing my Stones ticket page until the $85.00 ticket icon appeared. It took me right in.

I believe you can still get some of the $85.00 tickets. Go to Rolling Stones.com and click on the $85.00 ticket icon for the date you want and it should take you in to a page titled "Gimme Shelter Seats". Then click on the "Find Tix" icon to the right.

At $85.00 per ticket (you must buy two) you may still be able to afford both concerts. (The ticket price will show $67.00, I believe, but they add fees to bring up to $85.00. Then you have to pay another $5.50 for will-call services. :roll: )
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations

My website

storpotaten
Yoda
Yoda

Post by storpotaten » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:54 am

Got a ticket for Blur and discussing getting tickets for Smashing Pumpkins this summer.

Yes, it doesn't get much more exciting here in Hong Kong, unless you are a) well introduced to Chinese pop or K-pop, or b) quick to pay lots of money for acts like Lady Gaga. We get mostly the very, very well established artists (read "actually retired" or "come-back tour") but not necessarily the absolute top.

I saw Clapton a couple of years ago - not a big fan, but these guys surround themselves with such amazing musicians, you can just enjoy their skills for two hours even when the music itself isn't your favourite.

On the non rock/pop side, I have tickets for Les Tambours du Bronx in a few weeks.
0 x

gwood
Yoda
Yoda

Post by gwood » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:16 pm

The Cracks wrote:gwood, the $85.00 ticket deal didn't come online exactly at 10 a.m. ...
I noticed that, I had two tabs open, and I kept clicking back to the main page (with the gorilla), and when the 85 button activated, I hit it. Anyway, I bought tickets for Rancid, which is the next day, so I've written off the Stones...unless your date stands you up... I'll be around...
0 x