Live music events.

Anything related to music, recording, gear, or this forum. Friendly chat welcome. NO politics or religion please, there are plenty of other forums for both topics. Anything else is fine.
Forum rules
Be nice.
Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Live music events.

Post by Zoetrope » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:03 pm

Just saw a fun band that did 60's pop covers in French. The Ye-Ye's
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:53 am

Stones in Philly, June 21, 2013:

I hate to say this but the overall concert only gets a 3.5 (out of five) :metal: rating from me.

The actual performance by the Stones was good. Mick was great. He is the star of this tour. The band was good. Poor Keith looks a bit out of it at times, and he seems to loose his place in some songs. Reports are that his head injury from his fall from the tree did some damage that still lingers. I think it might be true.

But what put a glitch in this show was the terrible mixing of sound. Keith's guitar was way too loud throughout the night. When he'd come in on a solo, he blew the place away (not in the good traditional meaning of that word). At one point, Charlie's kick drum was so isolated that the only thing you could really make out was Mick singing, Keith's too loud guitar, and Charlie's kick drum, It was neat to be able to hear him keeping time like that, but the sound wasn't nice and even. And Mick's mic was squeaking several times during the second half of the show. It started when he played guitar. The signals must have got crossed and they never straightened out. His mic actually went out during "Brown Sugar". I don' t think he realized it as he kept on singing and raising his arms for the crowd to join in. Although we couldn't hear him, most of us knew our role, and fulfilled our part during the "hey, hey, whooo!" part.

Mick Taylor played and while his playing was flawless, his leads seemed to meander away from the core of the tune and would sometimes not drift back in a neat manner.

And, of course, the Stones didn't bring anything new to the show. Big stage, big hits, big ticket prices, big crowd (nearly sold out, if not sold out). Other than the two new songs that they released on the greatest hits album "Grrrr!", they didn't play any song released after 1981's "Tattoo You".

All in all, it was a fun night and always good to see the boys. But I won't be going to D.C. to see them tonight as I normally would. If I want to spend another bundle of cash on the Stones this go-round, I'll just download their latest version of the "greatest hits" album.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

gwood
Yoda
Yoda

Post by gwood » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:48 pm

The Cracks wrote:Stones in Philly, June 21, 2013:

I hate to say this but the overall concert only gets a 3.5 (out of five)
Well, huh! So it was mostly the soundman's fault? You'd think they'd have that down by now.

By contrast, RANCID, at The Electric Factory in Philly, the day after The Stones, gets a 5 out of 5 from me. I'll keep it short-- They were in top form, played all the best songs, and it was great to see the legendary Tim Armstrong still as potent as ever.

The venue was good, too, I haven't been there for a decade or two, and while it's as grungy as ever, they have a great, updated "flying" sound system, and the AC was working well. Of course, Rancid are hardcore street punk, so the floor was about 50% mosh pit, no place for an old feller like me, but I went up into the balcony, right above the stage, and the sound and view were great.

They opened with Radio http://youtu.be/lMeGwdhOQFg and closed with Ruby Soho. http://youtu.be/0P9QMkm9Eew
It was glorious.
0 x
Music by G. Wood/Undercover Bonobos (me!):
Bandcamp: http://oneoffrekerdz.bandcamp.com/

Markdog
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Markdog » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:25 pm

I'm a huge Stones fan. Most everything they've done from 63-83. Don't care for much after that.

To me rock n roll should be a liitle dangerous and unpredictable, doesn't have to be flawless just have attitude. The Stones can still play solidly at 70 but I just can't justify the price to see/hear medicore played songs I've heard 100's or 1000's of times. (unless I was front row centre for $200)

I did go to the Bovine Sex Club (no it's not a strip joint) in Toronto 2 weeks ago and saw 3 kick ass "no name" bands. I've never felt more at home in there even though most people had tats and/or pearcings which I don't have. (I don't even look like a rocker at all) They were there for the music and the bands, very punk/hard rock scene yet laid back. The music is real, loud, original, with driving beats, blistering guitars and pure attitude. I just worked my way to the front of a couple hundered people right near the stage with my beer, watch and enjoy. It's the underground scene Gary has mentioned before, you can't find it on your radio. Home sweet home.

Rancid would be a great show.

Mark
0 x

gwood
Yoda
Yoda

Post by gwood » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:30 am

Markdog wrote:I'm a huge Stones fan. Most everything they've done from 63-83. Don't care for much after that.
Have you heard A Bigger Bang (2005)? Great return-to-form album.
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:28 pm

I just got back from the Maryland/Delaware shore and getting ready to head down to D.C. for Sir Paul! :metal:
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:10 pm

The Cracks wrote:...getting ready to head down to D.C. for Sir Paul! :metal:
One word describes this event: Fantastic!

Five out of Five :metal: .

This may have been the best concert I've seen in my life and I've seen a lot of them. Sir Paul was at the top of his game last night. What a fabulous performer. What a fabulous show.

If you get a chance to catch a Paul McCartney concert, I'd recommend you do it.

One of the many highlights of the show was Sir Paul with just his guitar singing "Blackbird" alone on a raised mini-stage in front of some 60,000 people. While this video isn't from last night, it gives you the flavor of that very moving moment.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations

My website

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:41 am

I saw Bob Dylan, Wilco, My Morning Jacket, and Bingham last night at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, MD. While Bob Dylan is always great to see (despite his lack of any vocal ability - (see past reviews)), I have to say his band wasn't as hot as they usually are. I think he has a few new guys in it. They just don't cook like the bands in the past have. But, still, watching the master is always a thrill.

Wilco - boring.

My Morning Jacket - fantastic show. Other than Bob himself, My Morning Jacket stole the show.

Bingham - A young guy who has some good material but generally his act was boring.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations

My website

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:01 am

I saw Willie Nelson in Baltimore Sunday evening. I had great seats 11 rows back. I could really see and hear Willie playing his guitar Trigger. The man was entertaining as Hell. He can still sing well and he plays his guitar masterfully. His son Lukas opened for him. He plays mostly electric blues. He was pretty good. Other members, including Lukas, joined Willie during his set. Fun night at an outdoor venue right on the harbor.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations

My website

gwood
Yoda
Yoda

Post by gwood » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:25 am

I saw Willie a few years ago, at the State Theater in New Brunswick, NJ. Yep, he was really good. I have a bandanna he gave me after. Took it right off his head.
0 x

gwood
Yoda
Yoda

Post by gwood » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:51 pm

Upcoming:
Genya Ravan at Record Collector, Bordentown, NJ, 9/28
Evan Dando, Fountains of Wayne, Soul Asylum at State Theater, New Brunswick, NJ, 10/1
Monster Magnet at Vintage Vinyl in Fords, NJ, 10/14
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:22 pm

I went to see Don McLean perform at the Grand Opera House in Wilmington, DE, last night. It was a very good show in a very old opera house built in the late 1870s. The best part of the show was when McLean played solo, accompanied only by his Martin guitar. The band was very good but the drums were just too loud for such a sensitive acoustic environment as the Grand.

It dawned on me while driving home that my days of live shows, at least in regard to professional acts, are probably winding down. There just aren't that many people still performing that I want to see. It's kind of sad.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations

My website

gwood
Yoda
Yoda

Post by gwood » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:42 pm

The Cracks wrote:There just aren't that many people still performing that I want to see.
Yeah, me too. I can think of four--Cave, Rancid, Dando, Murphs. There are more, but these are the ones I'd go out of my comfort zone to see.
0 x

LoisDiaz
new to this board
new to this board

Post by LoisDiaz » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:25 am

gwood wrote:I saw Willie a few years ago, at the State Theater in New Brunswick, NJ. Yep, he was really good. I have a bandanna he gave me after. Took it right off his head.
I've been there, too! Awesome show!
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sat May 03, 2014 6:29 pm

I saw the legendary Merle Haggard in Ocean City, MD, last night. What a show! The man is in his mid-70s and has half a lung removed due to cancer, but he put on a fantastic performance. When I bought my ticket, the best seats were taken so I purchased the cheapest seat I could find and it was in the last row. But when I walked into the big tent, I saw a seat open in row 6 so I took it! Great seat. Thanks to the person who didn't show up to the sold out show!
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations

My website

gwood
Yoda
Yoda

Post by gwood » Sun May 04, 2014 5:41 am

Read an interview with him a while ago, in Rolling Stone, I think. Remember the song Okie From Muskogee? He ain't no Redneck no more, more of an old hippie. It's like he became the thing he criticized. Well, good! That's progress.
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sun May 04, 2014 3:57 pm

gwood wrote:It's like he became the thing he criticized. Well, good! That's progress.
Merle smoked weed up till the late 90s and he actually was into cocaine rather heavily for a while there too. He also did a song against the Iraq War (edition 2).
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations

My website