Live music events.

Anything related to music, recording, gear, or this forum. Friendly chat welcome. NO politics or religion please, there are plenty of other forums for both topics. Anything else is fine.
Forum rules
Be nice.
Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Live music events.

Post by Zoetrope » Tue May 06, 2014 8:55 am

Saw Queens of the Stone Age last night in Chicago. Great show, catch the tour if you can. Very tight band live, I was surprised. If you like the new album (and I think it's brilliant) they play pretty much the whole thing mixed in with older songs.
0 x

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Wed May 07, 2014 3:59 am

I saw QOTSA a few years ago in Brighton. Far too loud unfortunately. A real pity as all subtlety was lost.

I saw this group a couple of weeks ago in Brighton. An excellent live band. British country at its best :)

My Darling Clemetine
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:02 am

I just got home from the Lucinda Williams show in downtown Baltimore. It was basically a large bar with about 300 people at the most. One word for her performance: fantastic! She has the lead guitar player from the Wall Flowers in her traveling band and he was out of this world. :metal:

That is probably the last big name act that I will go see except for The Stones, Bob Dylan, and Sir Paul (I will always go to see them if I can). I may go see Lucinda again too, but that really is it! I've seen most of the big names from the 60s and 70s and that is about where my interest stops. I might go see some smaller acts for the fun of it but I won't go out of my way to do it.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Markdog
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Markdog » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:35 pm

Blondie at ottawa bluesfest. Even at 69 she rocked it. Band was tight. Clem Burke is an incredible drummer. 20 feet from stage.

Bluesfest is ok if you don't mind sun, standing and crowds. My wife and I dicided to catch some local bands at the heart and crown pub instead tonight.

0 x

gwood
Yoda
Yoda

Post by gwood » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:14 am

Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds at The Mann in Philly last night. Need I say more? Cave is God. I touched his hand.

Kurt Vile & The Violators -- Meh. Kind of muddy and unmemorable.

Nicole Atkins -- Impressive. Just her with a drummer and one wild guitar player, who played a 60's Kay hollowbody Barney Kessel electric. She used two mics, a handheld 'regular,' and one on a stand with heavy reverb, approaching the reverb mic at the end of long notes. Gonna look into her stuff.
0 x
Music by G. Wood/Undercover Bonobos (me!):
Bandcamp: http://oneoffrekerdz.bandcamp.com/

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:45 pm

gwood wrote:Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds
I am super jealous. Nick Cave is indeed god.
0 x

gwood
Yoda
Yoda

Post by gwood » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:27 pm

Zoetrope wrote:I am super jealous. Nick Cave is indeed god.
They did Chicago on 4/1. Missed that? I'll never miss Cave again, if I can help it.

Upcoming:
Blues Magoos, Oct. 16, Bowery Electric, NYC
Shonen Knife, Oct. 21, The Saint, Asbury Park, NJ
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:38 am

Totally missed. I was an April Fool.
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:49 am

Dylan again.

Washington, D. C. , Daughters of the American Revolution Constitution Hall.

Brilliant show! :rock:

Dylan was in such a smooth groove and his band was so tight it was absolutely mesmerizing. Certainly the best I've ever seen Bob. I snuck down to stage right, row six. Super. I saw Bob leaving the hall and getting on his bus. What a great night.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

gwood
Yoda
Yoda

Post by gwood » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:11 am

The Cracks wrote:Dylan again.
I've read that he's not playing guitar at his shows, but then I recently saw a picture of him playing. I guess it's an on/off thing. Saw him only once, 1980, when the Saved album came out. What happened with that? Is he still saved, or did he go back to being a Jewish secularist? Or is that one of the mysteries of the ages?
0 x

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:13 am

Zoetrope wrote:
gwood wrote:Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds
I am super jealous. Nick Cave is indeed god.
He lives not far from me in Brighton. He never bothers to call in and say hello though ;)

I'd recommend 20,000 Days on Earth. A lot of it filmed along Brighton seafront. I have to say it makes Brighton look very cinematic.
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

gwood
Yoda
Yoda

Post by gwood » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:48 am

dickl wrote:I'd recommend 20,000 Days on Earth. A lot of it filmed along Brighton seafront. I have to say it makes Brighton look very cinematic.
There was a screening in NY recently, and Cave did a solo piano set. I couldn't go because my high school reunion was the same night! Arrrrggggghhhhh!

He doesn't live in Australia?
0 x

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:23 am

gwood wrote:
dickl wrote:I'd recommend 20,000 Days on Earth. A lot of it filmed along Brighton seafront. I have to say it makes Brighton look very cinematic.
There was a screening in NY recently, and Cave did a solo piano set. I couldn't go because my high school reunion was the same night! Arrrrggggghhhhh!

He doesn't live in Australia?
Try and catch it if you can, it's an interesting insight into the man (although I suspect he's only showing you want he wants you to see) and it has plenty of live performances.

He may well have a place in Australia but he's been in Brighton a while now. I believe he lives near the seafront and not far from Dave Gilmour (now that would be an unusual duo). Gary Moore used to live in the same area before he died and was reputed to drop in at this place on the blues jam nights before he died.

Mind you, I've never seen any of them out and about....
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:08 am

gwood wrote:I've read that he's not playing guitar at his shows...

While I'm no Dylan expert I can say that he hasn't played any guitar in the last few times I've seen him. He usually plays piano and organ but this last time he played only on his Baby Grand (I suppose it was). And he played it beautifully! The mix at DAR Constitution Hall was so superb that every note from every instrument could be made out, and none overpowered any other. So when Dylan sat down at the piano you could really make out what he was playing. He stands front and center when he signs on many songs too. He is wonderful to see. Do it if you can (and want to) before too long. We never know how long a treasure like this will be with us. (He's playing five shows in NYC starting Friday night. Tickets are mostly sold out but you can probably get one on CL or even on the street. I'm half thinking of taking the train up one night to see him again.) Hint: If you go get caught up on his newer songs as he only does two or so songs from the 60s and only two from the 70s. Most of his set list if from his last few albums, which is fine with me since I love his most recent work.

I don't know what his spiritual beliefs are. I think one could interpret some of the songs from his 2012 album Tempest
to be religious in meaning (or at least in double meaning). One great song from that album, which he plays in concert, is "Pay In Blood". I love it. While Dylan's meaning is obscured (obviously), I think certainly one analogy of the song is that Dylan pays for his sins in blood...but not his own...(JC?).

I'd love to see a Nick Cave solo piano concert. That's when he is best in my view.
Last edited by The Cracks on Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

gwood
Yoda
Yoda

Post by gwood » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:35 am

I'd like to see Dylan again. I almost did a few years ago, but ended up getting stuck going to some obligatory family function. I don't know know about NY, it's always such an expensive hassle just getting there and back.
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:50 am

Bob Dylan - again - this time in Baltimore last Friday night. And, again, outstanding show. :clap:
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:22 pm

I always wanted to see him perform.
0 x