Windows 10. Anybody Try it Yet?

Anything related to music, recording, gear, or this forum. Friendly chat welcome. NO politics or religion please, there are plenty of other forums for both topics. Anything else is fine.
Forum rules
Be nice.
voclizr
The Force
The Force

Windows 10. Anybody Try it Yet?

Post by voclizr » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:56 pm

........or heard anything on how good/bad it works with PC based DAWs?

My new Lenovo system that I bought for my studio has Win 8 pre installed but offers a free upgrade to 10. I barely understand 8 yet so I hesitate to go to 10. But I was wondering what the verdict was on using it with a DAW.

:D ;)

and BTW-What the hell ever happened to Windows 9?! :?
Did I sleep through that one? :wacky:
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Sonar X3 Studio, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings & Vintage Organs, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Jim_Fogle
Jedi
Jedi

Re: Windows 10. Anybody Try it Yet?

Post by Jim_Fogle » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:34 pm

The main issue so far has been with hardware drivers. Zoom has not released any Win 10 drivers yet.

If you have a favorite DAW it will be worth your time to visit the DAW website or forum. I've read in other forums that Cubase is having trouble with Win 10.
0 x
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
2017 Band-in-a-Box, Music Creator 6, Audacity, Chord Pulse
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB HD
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums

guitar fan
Yoda
Yoda

Post by guitar fan » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:02 am

I got a pop up every day on my PC ..."Win 10 ready for you"...I press "later".
0 x
Guy

greenA2
dues paid
dues paid

Post by greenA2 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:37 am

Jim_Fogle wrote: I've read in other forums that Cubase is having trouble with Win 10.
On the 20th October they announced that Windows 10 now works with all Steinberg products, including Cubase.
1 x
Zoom A2, H5, YouRock Guitar

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:35 pm

I briefly used Win 8.1 at work for 2 months and recently just set up Win 10 on a PC at home to check it out.
I haven't tested it using my DAW or interface yet, but Win 10 seems better to me than Win 8.1.
I still prefer Win 7 over either of them and will likely keep using it for the forseeable future.

I read somewhere that they skipped Win 9 in the naming convention to create distance from the bad rep Win 8 had developed.
Last edited by lucas on Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

nicka
Yoda
Yoda

Post by nicka » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:37 am

My laptop was popping up with the update option every day so i gave in and updated and now it runs a lot slower,then i find out that my printer will not work with win 10 installed and the new driver will be released at the end of November, that sucks and i wish i never upgraded.
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:38 am

Windows 8 sucks so I can only imagine Windows 10 sucks even worse. I'm just about done with desk top computers. I do just about everything on my phone now. It operates so much better than this piece of crap computer loaded with Windows 8.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

guitar fan
Yoda
Yoda

Post by guitar fan » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:52 pm

The Cracks wrote: I do just about everything on my phone now. It operates so much better than this piece of crap computer loaded with Windows 8.
+10000000
Idem for me !
Everything works fine on my cell phone.. except this board... Just Zoe's plans and his new presentation (off topic ok)
0 x
Guy

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:38 pm

If anyone is tempted to try the upgrade, I suggest downloading the DVD ISO or create a bootable thumbdrive with the installation files on it and install on a separate hard drive from one you're using now.
The TenForums website has a guide on how to do this.

nicka
did you upgrade from Win 8 or Win 7 ?
I would have expected this issue with Win 7, but a Win 8 driver should work in Win 10.

cracks
Win 10 sucks less from my experience, but I did some tweaks to Win 10 and just ran Win 8 in 'out-of-the-box' mode, so that may be the difference.
0 x

nicka
Yoda
Yoda

Post by nicka » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:45 am

I upgraded from win 8 cause it sucked too, if i had win 7 i would never had upgraded, when win 10 installed it deleted the printer driver and it will not install with win 10 installed and its on Brothers website that it will not work untill they release the driver.
0 x

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:41 am

nicka wrote:I upgraded from win 8 .... when win 10 installed it deleted the printer driver and it will not install with win 10 installed and its on Brothers website that it will not work untill they release the driver.
was that according to this page on the Brother support website?

what model is your Brother printer?
0 x

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:06 pm

I wish just once they could just UPGRADE an operating system instead of changing everything around on it!
You get used to the functionality after a while, then they go and create a new OS and completely change how things are done. I can see how they have to make some changes for increased functionality and more power, but to just redo everything I don't see the necessity in it. It turns long time users off because they have to re-learn everything they knew before and sometimes they even take functions away. Sometimes I'm tempted to try a Mac next time. :roll:
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Sonar X3 Studio, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings & Vintage Organs, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:35 pm

Microsoft was trying to unify Windows across all platforms, so that the experience you have on a tablet, desktop or phone would be similar.
I wish just once they could just UPGRADE an operating system instead of changing everything around on it!
The good news then is that this is what they are planning going forward.
Win 10 is supposed to be their last major change. Going forward they will update this platform instead of creating an entirely new system.
It will be similar to what Apple has done with OS/X.

... that's the plan, anyway, whether it actually works that way remains to be seen.
Last edited by lucas on Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:44 pm

guitar fan wrote:I got a pop up every day on my PC ..."Win 10 ready for you"...I press "later".
Sorry, I missed this earlier. Here are some instructions on how to stop it.
0 x

greenA2
dues paid
dues paid

Post by greenA2 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:50 pm

lucas wrote:Microsoft was trying to unify Windows across all platforms, so that the experience on you have on a tablet, desktop or phone would be similar.
That was the one thing that annoyed me with Windows 8. What's the point of having a tablet operating system on a desktop, with no touchscreen and very different specs? They did restore some desktop functionality in 8.1, I hope 10 is less influenced by tablets, though I bet it's optimised for the MS surface. Windows 7 on the other hand was not too bad, they had to do a decent version so that they could pull the plug on XP that was still used by all the business users.
0 x
Zoom A2, H5, YouRock Guitar

guitar fan
Yoda
Yoda

Post by guitar fan » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:54 pm

Unfortunately....my wife pressed "upgrade to 10".
You are right John, they changed everything.
Everything takes time now, a nighmare!

WE are the customers, WE PAY! I don't understand why we can't choose our system.
XP pro was the best.No more interest now.
0 x
Guy

AlexeiY
been here a while
been here a while

Post by AlexeiY » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:41 pm

You do know that you can uninstall Win10 and return to your previous configuration?
cheers,
Alex
0 x