Windows 10. Anybody Try it Yet?

Anything related to music, recording, gear, or this forum. Friendly chat welcome. NO politics or religion please, there are plenty of other forums for both topics. Anything else is fine.
Forum rules
Be nice.
guitar fan
Yoda
Yoda

Re: Windows 10. Anybody Try it Yet?

Post by guitar fan » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:20 pm

And... how long does it take?
0 x
Guy

AlexeiY
been here a while
been here a while

Post by AlexeiY » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:57 pm

My son did it because the new Win10 install slowed down his laptop, as noted in this thread. The reinstall took only about an hour, possibly less as I recall.
edit....You should Google the uninstall procedure before proceeding. My son's uninstall (or reinstall of Win7) went smoothly and his laptop ran at full speed again. I suspect that part of the slowdown with Win10 is that it was not installed onto the SSD portion of his hybrid HD.
My other son upgraded to Win10 smoothly (no hybrid SSD) and we had only a few problems getting the Canon scanner and printer to communicate properly.
My laptop with dual HD's would not upgrade fully, so I'm still using Win7 which is fine with me, especially as CuBase was initially having problems with Win10 and I use Cubase 7.5 a lot. I tried upgrading tfrom Win7 twice, but to no avail and each time the system smoothly reverted to Win7.
hth,
Alex
0 x

guitar fan
Yoda
Yoda

Post by guitar fan » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:44 am

Thanks a lot Alex.

Done.It took 15 minutes.
0 x
Guy

AlexeiY
been here a while
been here a while

Post by AlexeiY » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:50 am

You're welcome Guy...glad it worked! Thanks for the time info as well, much appreciated.
I've tried Win10 on my son's desktop computer and it seemed ok, save the hassles of getting our printer and scanner to communicate. There are the usual problems of finding the various control panel apps, but my son (17 yrs old) likes the new system. He thinks that the wireless connectivity is more robust.
Me, I'm happy with Win7 and will only upgrade when I get a new computer.
cheers,
Alex
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:13 pm

I think Microsoft's days are numbered. The future has left them behind it seems to me.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

greenA2
dues paid
dues paid

Post by greenA2 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:03 pm

I've finally moved to 10, the OS itself is an improvement compared to windows 8 but cubase is asking for the license details again, giving it the code doesn't seem to be working. I barely used cubase that came with H5 but I thought it was good to have, hopefully I can fix this soon. Ableton live survived the transition unharmed, as did all the other software on the computer.
0 x
Zoom A2, H5, YouRock Guitar

minerman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by minerman » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:19 pm

I had the chance to upgrade about 2 weeks ago, since my old, trusty AMD quad core finally bit the dust (power supply failed & took out the motherboard AFAIK....replaced the power supply, but no luck...thankfully both my hdd's were ok...)...I bought a new pc, basically the one I wanted 6 years ago, but couldn't afford at the time...

Myself, I'm skeptical of Windows 10 (I've read good & bad things about it), & will avoid it until I absolutely have no other choice. Windows 7 just works for me, & I see no reason to fix something that ain't broke...
0 x
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Oscar Schmidt, Carlo Robelli
EVH LBX 15w, EVH 4x12, Marshall 1960A
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro 'phones
NI Komplete Audio 6, Alesis Q25, M-Audio BX8
Shure, Sennheiser, Audix, Samson, Behringer & Carvin mics
Dell Desktop: Intel Quad Core i7-4790, 16GB RAM, Windows 7

My Music

@ Soundclick
@ Reverbnation
@ Bandcamp

AlexeiY
been here a while
been here a while

Post by AlexeiY » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:06 am

My laptop just died - I believe that the motherboard is toast, so I upgraded to a desktop running Windows 10. I was using Windows 7 on my laptop. I had no trouble reinstalling CuBase 7.5 and IKM, Voxengo and Eventide plugins with their licencing requirements, fortunately.
Early days, but I like Win10. I'm still getting used to the new layout, but I find it robust. I particularly like it's File Backup utility.
0 x

Rocles
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Rocles » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:19 am

To completely stop Win 10 downloading and / or Upgrading, run the excellent GWX Control Panel. It removes the downloaded upgrade files and blocks any further messages or attempts to force the upgrade. Get it here http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/
0 x

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:16 pm

I avoided the upgrade from 8.1 to 10 for as long as I could, clicking the later link on a daily basis. Finally gave in on both my laptop and desktop pcs a few months ago. It's def a more modern OS and I think Microsoft might have lost some of the charm they had w/7 and even 8.1. 10 seems so sterile and cold. It took a while to get my Line 6 X2 up and running but after a few tries on the driver install it was gtg.
0 x
Les Paul Studio, ES 135, Guild G37, Wechter Pathmaker, Fender GN-45SCE Classical, YouRockGuitar, Fender Jazz Bass, Ovation Celebrity, Oscar Schmidt OU6LCE Ukulele, Gibson F4 Mandolin, Yamaha PSR-225GM, Line 6 UX2 & FX100, DOD FET preamp, MC10O Condensor Mic, Dynamic Unidirectional Mic, MRS-8, Samplitude, REAPER, Mixcraft, EZ Drummer/Mix, Steven Slate Drums, POD Farm, Guitar Rig, FENDER Deluxe Silverface, Roland CUBE-60, Jazz Real Books by Sher Music
PC=quad core I5,7200 1TB SATA HD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Graphics card, RAIDMAX|HELIOS Tower, 8GB RAM, 1TB ExtHD
Soundclick Soundcloud Reverbnation YouTube

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:00 am

Not sure what Microsoft has been thinking since Windows 7. Dumb it down and more clicks for those of us who tinker.
8, 9 (8.1) and 10 show they still don't get it. Win 7 is the best selling OS since XP.
Oh well, maybe 11? I kinda doubt it.
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.