Advise On Microphone Purchase

Anything related to music, recording, gear, or this forum. Friendly chat welcome. NO politics or religion please, there are plenty of other forums for both topics. Anything else is fine.
Forum rules
Be nice.
voclizr
The Force
The Force

Advise On Microphone Purchase

Post by voclizr » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:50 pm

Hi

I've been a Sonar X3 user for a year and a half. I've been using my trusty Peavey PVM 38 dynamic microphone for over 20 years of home recording. All the way back to my 4 track cassette days up until my present Sonar days. It still works fine but I'm thinking about upgrading to a more professional mic. I'm considering this.

My Peavey still works fine, but what I'm looking for in a better mic would be a cleaner sound with less tendency to clip on louder passages on vocals. Last year I bought a cheapo Apex condenser mic (going by recommendations that condenser mics are ALWAYS better for recording) but it SUCKS!! The dynamic sounds better. I paid less than $100.00 for it, but I don't want to take a chance of throwing $500.00 away on this mic if it is not going to give me a noticeable difference in the sound. Many retailers will not take back microphones after purchase, so I need to make sure it will meet my needs. Another thing I'm wondering is if the mic would be too "professional" for the DAW I'm using. I only paid $200.00 for Sonar X3 Studio and this mic is $500.00. It seems a bit off balance that the mic would be the most expensive part of my studio and that I only do this as a hobby. Has anybody ever used this kind of mic? Your thoughts?

Thanks
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Vintage Organs & Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Re: Advise On Microphone Purchase

Post by lucas » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:34 am

What you've linked to is a tube condenser mic.
Unless you have some way to test it first and make sure it's what you want, I suggest you not spend the money on that mic, at least not at this point.
There are several condenser mic alternatives that will probably satisfy you for half the cost or less.

Condenser mics tend to have more detail because they are more sensitive, this means that while they may have more clarity than a dynamic, they will clip or overload sooner than a dynamic mic.
Condenser mics also require better mic technique and some compression on the signal before it goes into your computer's audio interface.

A dynamic mic is usually the most resisitant to clipping, so if that's what you are going for, it's probably best to just stick with a dynamic.
If the Peavey is lacking something, try a Shure SM58 or SM57 or one of the many knockoffs of those 2 models from other mic manufacturers.
If you have a local P.A. rental company, you can probably rent an SM58/57 to test at home and perhaps other mics as well.

Also, be sure to check the frequency range graph, some mics tend to spike or dip more in one frequency area than other mics.
This can usually be rectified with an EQ cut to compensate if needed, but sometimes the boost or cut can be beneficial.
Check the frequency graph for your Peavey, you might just need to adjust the EQ to get it to do what you want.

From your home studio post, I see you have a Line 6 UX2 interface.
The POD Farm software/plugin has several vocal presets that may satisfy your needs using your current mic.
0 x

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Re: Advise On Microphone Purchase

Post by voclizr » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:00 am

Thanks Lucas.

After being assured by Sweetwater that I could return the mic for a refund within 30 days of purchase, I went ahead and tried it, thinking I would probably send it back. Well that's not going to happen because I love it! It sounds much better than my dynamic or the Apex condenser I have. I'm afraid that my trusty old Peavey dynamic is going to be retired. This pretty little mic sounds a beautiful as it looks and is a welcome addition. Maybe it's the 9 polar patterns it offers or the roll off settings on the mic itself, but it sounds great and I'm very happy with it. I DO plan on taking Luca's advise (and others on this forum) and getting some sound reinforcement (which will mean some of the posters will have to go or at least be re-positioned). This little room is going to continue to be a work in progress.

:D
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Vintage Organs & Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp