This forum is Coming up on 15 years

Anything related to music, recording, gear, or this forum. Friendly chat welcome. NO politics or religion please, there are plenty of other forums for both topics. Anything else is fine.
Forum rules
Be nice.
The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Re: This forum is Coming up on 15 years

Post by The Cracks » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:03 pm

Hope you are feeling better soon, James. I'm sorry you had medical problems. I hope it all turns out good for you.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Lee
The Force
The Force

To 2090 and Beyond

Post by Lee » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:34 am

Congrats Zoe on the upcoming milestone! :applause: It’s hard to believe it’ll be 15 years in June.

While it’s true that the forum is not static (people and technologies coming and going, etc.), it has been like an old reliable friend to me -- more of a constant than life and circumstances can ever be. I know I’m not alone in that sentiment.

It’ll be 11 years ago that I joined here on May 15th but I lurked for a few years before joining -- trying to glean tips for making the most of the PS02 and then the PS04. However, it wasn’t until I got the MRS8 and began posting in the new songs section that my sense of this community really took shape. There have been really awesome times, funny, sad, and occasionally, embarrassing. This forum represents many of the most meaningful online experiences I’ve ever had, and for that, I’ll always be grateful.

I’ve been hoping to return in earnest for years but… I'm back to lurking 8)
2 x
"At one point, Lee made a surprisingly intelligent comment" - ferret
rock project (sc) | country stuff (sc)

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:15 am

I'm essentially lurking too. ;)
0 x

squatch57
new to this board
new to this board

Post by squatch57 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:27 am

I'm a new member 'cos I recently bought an HD16 and I think it's great
It's just a shame Zoom are getting out of the multitracker market
I don't get why they didn't just update the nicely built HD series and make an HD8+, HD16+ and HD24
When you're already tooled up to make most of the product already
Sorta like what Korg used to do with their synths, constantly make new models when people hadn't learnt the earlier version
I suppose that's the way it goes in the electronics biz
1 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:59 am

I would imagine it's a tough market to be in, a small and demanding niche group of customers. They've made some cool gear along the way that helped me on my home recording journey, so hat's off to them.
1 x

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Sat May 07, 2016 11:55 pm

I was overjoyed when I stumbled on the ZOOM forum February, 2009. It was amazing to find so many people using ZOOM RECers. I'm grateful to have experienced that energy the forum had back then. When I jumped onboard zoom forum was steaming full speed ahead. It was an exhilarating time. :D

sidenote- So sorry to hear of your health failure, minerman! :( You were a great help to me back then, James! I can't even imagine how many emails I sent you asking advice in REAPER!
0 x
Les Paul Studio, ES 135, Guild G37, Wechter Pathmaker, Fender GN-45SCE Classical, YouRockGuitar, Fender Jazz Bass, Ovation Celebrity, Oscar Schmidt OU6LCE Ukulele, Gibson F4 Mandolin, Yamaha PSR-225GM, Line 6 UX2 & FX100, DOD FET preamp, MC10O Condensor Mic, Dynamic Unidirectional Mic, MRS-8, Samplitude, REAPER, Mixcraft, EZ Drummer/Mix, Steven Slate Drums, POD Farm, Guitar Rig, FENDER Deluxe Silverface, Roland CUBE-60, Jazz Real Books by Sher Music
PC=quad core I5,7200 1TB SATA HD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Graphics card, RAIDMAX|HELIOS Tower, 8GB RAM, 1TB ExtHD
Soundclick Soundcloud Reverbnation YouTube

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Thu May 26, 2016 9:27 am

Well here I am. I look at the forum about once a year these days but I wanted to pop in to try to get Zoedope to stop spamming me on on Twitter.

I learned to play the guitar (to some degree) in 2004, joined here Dec 2004 and then wrote over 100 songs over the next few years. Then the inspiration just went, I started focusing on the work parts of the recording process and I didn't enjoy them. I did record 4 or 5 songs about 2 years ago and planned a "comeback" album but I never finished it. These days I play a lot of acoustic at home and could be considered to write a lot of songs that I never record in that way. I also set up a band as a "club" here at my work and we play for fun once a week and do a show twice a year. Cover band with me as the singer :). I find a I get a strangely odd experience from listening to my old songs, I think that some of them are really pretty good and that actually stops me recording these days because I don't think I can do that anymore. If you consider that most major bands do not record 100 songs in their career and I did it in 5 years or so probably explains it.
1 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Fri May 27, 2016 9:59 am

The problem is, we all have lives. Probably for the best as the life of a rock star is nothing but wine women and song.

Wait . . . that sounds pretty good. :)
1 x

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Fri May 27, 2016 1:25 pm

The weird thing for me is that when I joined in July of 2006 all I had was an MRS802 and a Yamaha PSR 295 keyboard. I remember my first post was about backing up projects (or something like that) and Mike Wich helped me. From then, it just grew. Mr. Wich also helped me go to the second wrung in my development, turning me on to moving my audio tracks out from the 802 to my PC and mixing in Kristal Audio. That was a big improvement. And then, it was MIDI and working with plugins and internet collaborating with others and now I'm where I wanted to be 10 years ago, which is a room in my home dedicated to recording and I've added more useful gear and room treatment. I could go on and on, but the main thing is I really couldn't have come this far without the help of this forum. I mean, yeah, the dedicated room wasn't directly because of the forum advise, but some of you guys still inspired me towards that concept and idea because of how you set up your gear in your homes. I was so influenced by guys like Mike Wich and minerman and Sungodv (just to name a few) with the concept of, if not a whole room, at least a dedicated space and how to treat it. It's sad that there isn't as many here anymore to share my accomplishments, but it doesn't take 50 people to give encouragement. There are only a handful of people here who listen to my stuff anymore, but that's OK. Most are still my old friends from 10 years ago and a few new dudes who share the love of music making. This has been a magical place for me for the past 9 years and 10 months. Even though it slowed up considerably, I hope it stays around at least another 10 years.

:D
2 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Sonar X3 Studio, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings & Vintage Organs, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Jim_Fogle
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Jim_Fogle » Fri May 27, 2016 1:46 pm

John,

You have a way with words. The forum members have made this a Wonder place to learn, grow and share. I'm late to the show but still immensely enjoy the forum.
0 x
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
2017 Band-in-a-Box, Music Creator 6, Audacity, Chord Pulse
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB HD
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums

Polly
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Polly » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:21 am

Happy birthday to you1

Minerman, I hope you keep your fitness up and enjoy life.

I stopped playing the guitar so much, and song writing/recording about four years ago, but I plan to get back into it. I do play very occasionally in a band at work and that has been fun. I am going to play solo live soon, just a couple of songs for old times sake. I'm going to join a choir with my wife too.

I think I stopped because I started writing a novel. It took me three years and its finished and Amazon Kindle right now. In fact it's on sale for the next few days! Very inexpensive.

https://www.amazon.com/Luck-Crane-John- ... +the+crane

UK shoppers: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Luck-Crane-Joh ... B0178SLU2I

I've sent it to a few agents in London, awaiting replies. :roll:

All the best Zoomers xxx
1 x
Song writing is its own reward

Jim_Fogle
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Jim_Fogle » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:50 am

June 04 has passed; no celebration, no parties. (SIGH ... ) :roll:

July 04 is coming up. Let the fireworks begin!!! :D

Three cheers for the big year 15 celebration! RAH! RAH! RAH! :wiggle:
0 x
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
2017 Band-in-a-Box, Music Creator 6, Audacity, Chord Pulse
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB HD
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:30 am

Haha, no need for a big celebration, it's just a cool thing. Not much on the internet was here 15 years ago.

And yeah, I hope everyone who celebrates July 4th had a great one.
1 x

TarquinMcLusky
new to this board
new to this board

Post by TarquinMcLusky » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:49 pm

I have a PS-04 and need to purchase a smartcard that fits so I can use it does anyone know where I can buy one/what i should search for or any EASY work arounds,barring in mind i have posted this on here because i am so technologically inept i have no earthly idea how to create a new subject.
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:59 am

Go here viewforum.php?f=2 and hit New Topic
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:29 am

tonyoci wrote:If you consider that most major bands do not record 100 songs in their career and I did it in 5 years or so probably explains it.
That's my sentiments exactly. While I certainly never wrote a hit or sold out Shea Stadium, I recorded and played live for about as long as The Beatles did and even they wore out even though they had so much more at stake.

I broke out the piano again and I've actually recorded some pieces but no real songs. I'm still working on my Maryland state song project for coming 2017 Maryland General Assembly so that takes most of my hobby/craft/art time. We'll see.

Update: Actually I just listened to one of my piano pieces and I might slap some lyrics on it and post it sooner or later.

Update: In fact I've just posted a new song. :nuts:
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

storpotaten
Yoda
Yoda

Post by storpotaten » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:07 am

Late congratulations... Thanks Zoe for keeping it up and running and relevant all these years! :yes:

Haven't written a song or even a line of lyrics in years. Have been working on recording a few songs but haven't finished anything... in years. But I still consider it a hobby for some reason. Contrary to what Tony said, I'm convinced that I could do better than my old songs. :P
1 x