Can Anybody Help Me With Guitar Hum Issue?

Anything related to music, recording, gear, or this forum. Friendly chat welcome. NO politics or religion please, there are plenty of other forums for both topics. Anything else is fine.
Forum rules
Be nice.
voclizr
The Force
The Force

Can Anybody Help Me With Guitar Hum Issue?

Post by voclizr » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:06 am

Hi!

I plugged my Squier Strat yesterday into my new Focusrite 6i6 interface. The damned electrical humm was ridiculous!
And it got worse when I launched Reason. I have two guitar cords and tried both of them with the same result. I checked to make sure the lead wasn't coming into contact with any of the (many) other power cables in the area. It was completely free and untangled from anything else. Also, I didn't have this issue with my old Pod Studio UX2. My mic is nice and quiet with the Focusrite though. Only buzz with guitar. I know there are a lot of dudes on this forum who are guitar players so I'm counting on a wealth of experience here. Any ideas how I can quiet things down here?

Thanks!

:D
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Vintage Organs & Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

AlexeiY
been here a while
been here a while

Re: Can Anybody Help Me With Guitar Hum Issue?

Post by AlexeiY » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:02 pm

Is the Focusrite higher gain than your Pod studio? I'm wondering about the single coil hum from your Squier Strat. If you put the 5 way switch on your strat into the 2 or 4 position, does the hum decrease?
It sounds like a shielding issue...
0 x

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:06 pm

AlexeiY wrote:Is the Focusrite higher gain than your Pod studio?
I'm not really sure. How could I find out?
AlexeiY wrote: I'm wondering about the single coil hum from your Squier Strat. If you put the 5 way switch on your strat into the 2 or 4 position, does the hum decrease?
The hum changes, but is still there no matter where that switch is.
AlexeiY wrote: It sounds like a shielding issue...
As in "shielded cable"? Are you saying that perhaps if I used a shielded cable the hum would go away?

Thanks!
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
NI Session Strings, Vintage Organs & Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

AlexeiY
been here a while
been here a while

Post by AlexeiY » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:49 pm

The hum changes, but is still there no matter where that switch is.
The hum should decrease in positions 2&4 as you are combining 2 pickups in a humbucking mode.
As in "shielded cable"? Are you saying that perhaps if I used a shielded cable the hum would go away?
The guitar cable should already be shielded, I was thinking more about improving the shielding in your strat.
http://joegiampaoli.blogspot.ca/2011/06 ... e-hum.html
or....http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/setup ... d-a-guitar
Hum is difficult to get rid of and single coil pickups are very susceptible to picking up 60Hz electrical noise (hum). The articles I referenced above talk a bit about causes of electrical noise.
Another thing to try is a noise gate if you have one. It can be set to block the guitar signal when it falls below a certain (changeable) level. You usually don't notice the hum when you are playing, only in the quiet bits where you aren't. The R16 and R24 (R8?) have the ZNR control in effects. This is a noise gate; it's on p119 in the R24 manual
Can you reverse the ground of the focusrite - turn the plug around and see if it's any better?
Running out of ideas here!!!!
I have both a tele and a gretsch - the tele is single coil and the Gretsch is humbuckers. I get more noise with the tele, but it depends on the gain that I'm using. I record either via the line outs from my amp into the R24 or directly into the R24 and haven't noticed any hum issues.
Good Luck,
Alex
0 x

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:02 am

Thanks AlexeiY!

I guess it must have something to do with the guitars circuitry. I tried everything but that. The 6i6 is an interface that you plug into AC and I tried "reversing" it by unplugging the adapter from the one side of the strip and moving it to the other. I also tried plugging it into an entire outlet by itself and the humm persisted. So it must be the guitars internal wiring. Squiers are "cheapos" in the guitar world, so it wouldn't surprise me. I cannot and will not record with such noise, so until I can figure out a solution I guess the Squier won't be an active part of my arsenal.

0 x
John B

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

AlexeiY
been here a while
been here a while

Post by AlexeiY » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:12 am

For recording, could you run the Squier through your Pod Studio UX2 and your microphones through the Focusrite? You said that the Pod didn't cause a hum when recording.

Does the hum decrease if you touch the pickguard or bridge of the strat with your hand? If so, some have reported hum reduction success by wiping the pickguard with an antistatic wipe - the kind that you chuck in the drier to reduce static cling....scented or unscented - your choice!

It certainly sounds - no pun intended - like the Focusrite is adding extra gain such that the Squier's single coil hum is noticeable. It could still be a grounding issue.
To reverse the ground, you have to unplug the unit and rotate the plug by 180 degrees and plug it back in. This is not always possible.
So frustrating, I know....
Best,
Alex
0 x

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:29 am

AlexeiY wrote:For recording, could you run the Squier through your Pod Studio UX2 and your microphones through the Focusrite? You said that the Pod didn't cause a hum when recording.
I don't know. I removed the Pod Studios drivers and software before i installed the Scarlett. I was considering the possibility of having both on the system. The Pod Studio still works fine, but I'm wondering if that would cause memory issues. Does anybody else have multiple interfaces on their systems?
AlexeiY wrote: Does the hum decrease if you touch the pickguard or bridge of the strat with your hand? If so, some have reported hum reduction success by wiping the pickguard with an antistatic wipe - the kind that you chuck in the drier to reduce static cling....scented or unscented - your choice!
The humm is the same no matter where I touch the instrument.

I appreciate your help in this matter.

0 x
John B

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:23 am

Try moving away from the PC and turning your back.

Single coils are notorious for noise but physically moving the guitar can help.
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Tue May 03, 2016 10:28 am

My guitar used to hum until I taught it the lyrics.

;)

If my Toneport is sitting on my computer I get a bad hum, so I suspect Dickl is on to something. Get away from the computer.
1 x

AlexeiY
been here a while
been here a while

Post by AlexeiY » Tue May 03, 2016 12:40 pm

Zoetrope wrote:My guitar used to hum until I taught it the lyrics.;)
And who said Vaudeville was dead :lol:
Good one!
Getting away from the computer is a good idea, as well as any un or poorly shielded power cables you have near the guitar lead and focusrite interface.
0 x

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Tue May 03, 2016 3:57 pm

Thanks Dick, Zo & Alex. I'll try it but I wish there was a different way. It would be more difficult controlling the PC (software) if I move too far away from it.

0 x
John B

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Tue May 03, 2016 5:46 pm

voclizr wrote:Thanks Dick, Zo & Alex. I'll try it but I wish there was a different way. It would be more difficult controlling the PC (software) if I move too far away from it.

If moving away does help just work out the optimum position then set up the track so there are a few seconds before you need to start playing so you have time to press record and move away (that's what I do!)
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here