Sad news about guitarfan

Anything related to music, recording, gear, or this forum. Friendly chat welcome. NO politics or religion please, there are plenty of other forums for both topics. Anything else is fine.
Forum rules
Be nice.
dickl
The Force
The Force

Sad news about guitarfan

Post by dickl » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:16 am

Some of you may remember Guy (guitarfan) and I'm sad to say I've just received an email from his wife saying he died of a heart attack on April 27th. He leaves a wife and daughter who are understandably finding life very hard at the moment.

I don't know anymore than that I'm afraid. She said she found my email address and thought I ought to know. I stayed with them in Paris a few years ago and they were perfect hosts. Guy was a lovely unassuming man and a very good (and understated) guitarist. I was hoping to see him last year but plans were changed at the last minute and I never got to Paris.

I checked Guy's posts and the last post he made was 12 days before he died acknowledging minerman's (James) health issues (rather spookily another heart attack). I have no idea whether Guy was aware of his own problems.

Sad times.

Take care all.

Dick
Last edited by dickl on Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

Lee
The Force
The Force

Re: Sad news about guitarfan

Post by Lee » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:01 am

Very sad to read this. He always made valuable musical contributions here and seemed like a very nice person.

I wish his wife, family and friends peace, comfort, and strength.

Thank you for letting us know Dick.
0 x
"At one point, Lee made a surprisingly intelligent comment" - ferret
rock project (sc) | country stuff (sc)

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:46 pm

Sad news indeed.
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

greenA2
dues paid
dues paid

Post by greenA2 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:06 am

I'll miss his forum contributions, my condolences to his family.
0 x
Zoom A2, H5, YouRock Guitar

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:47 am

Thanks chaps. I'll pass on the messages to his wife. I think she'll appreciate other people remembering him.
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

minerman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by minerman » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:34 pm

Wow, no words can really express how sad I am to hear this...Please do pass our condolences to his family Dick...I really have no words that would help ease the grief...I suppose this is kind of what I went through when my Dad passed away (I still struggle with this at times btw), one never really gets over something like this, you just learn to accept it over time...

It extremely sad & strange his last post was to me, with him giving me encouragement about my health issues...I'm not sure about Guy, but I had no idea about my health problems until it jumped up & bit me...

Dick, please do forward this to his family, & please do tell them I'm very, very sorry for their loss...
0 x
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Oscar Schmidt, Carlo Robelli
EVH LBX 15w, EVH 4x12, Marshall 1960A
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro 'phones
NI Komplete Audio 6, Alesis Q25, M-Audio BX8
Shure, Sennheiser, Audix, Samson, Behringer & Carvin mics
Dell Desktop: Intel Quad Core i7-4790, 16GB RAM, Windows 7

My Music

@ Soundclick
@ Reverbnation
@ Bandcamp

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:26 pm

So sad to hear this. :( Guy was a great person and musician. I had a lot of fun collaborating with him on some songs a few years back. Dick, please convey my sincerest condolences to his family as well.

:( :(
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Sonar X3 Studio, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:56 pm

Tell her he really was a great finger stylist and was an integral part of the Zoom glory years...

He could play both guitar and keys very well:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21288
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:58 pm

Very sad to hear this. And yet another reminder to enjoy ourselves, family and friends, and our music while we're here.
0 x

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:33 am

Thanks again :(
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:55 pm

I am absolutely shocked. I have no words to express how I feel right now. While I never met Guy or even spoke with him, he seemed to have a direct line from his guitar strings (and other instruments) directly into the heart of many of my songs. Some of the songs I consider my best are my best because Guy contributed to them. I am very saddened by this news. I feel like I've lost more than just a friend. I've lost a partner in many ways. I've certainly lost a dear collaborator.

Guy would send me PM's from time to time. The last one I received was in April 16, 2016.

Dick, please pass on my condolences to his family for me.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:00 pm

I was also shocked Sean. Guy was one of life's genuine people.

I think it would be easier to pass the link to this thread to his wife so she can see how much he was liked and respected.

Thanks.
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:09 pm

Thanks Dick.

To Guy's family (if you read this thread), here are a few songs that Guy and I worked on together. It was his contributions that brought these songs alive and make them very special to me.

Summer Will Never Last

About the song: Words and music and rhythm guitar Tully. Guy DeBreilly lead guitar and remastered this song. French cricket by Guy DeBreilly.

A Good Year

About the song: Words and music Tully. Guitars played by Guy DeBreilly. Recording mixed by Guy DeBreilly. Thanks a million Guy DeBreilly!

When You Smile (Featuring BB on vocals)

About the song: Words and music Tully. Guitars played by Guy DeBreilly. Vocals featuring "BB" and Tully. Recording mixed by Guy DeBreilly. Thanks a million Guy DeBreilly!

Think of Nothing

About the song: Words and music Tully-Guy DeBreilly-Anonymous. Piano Tully. Guitar and anything not the main piano, DeBreilly. Lyrics Anonymous. Vocals Anonymous and Tully. Mixed by DeBreilly.

Thank you Guy for making these songs very special to me. I appreciate it.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Jim_Fogle
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Jim_Fogle » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:12 pm

Very sad to read this. I had the pleasure of working with Guy on one song and greatly enjoyed the collaboration. My most sincere condolences to Guy's family. Please know my thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time.

Jim Fogle
0 x
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
2017 Band-in-a-Box, Music Creator 6, Audacity, Chord Pulse
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB HD
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:40 pm

I was just thinking, one cannot see this sub-forum without logging in.
0 x
My Songs

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:43 am

Sungodv wrote:I was just thinking, one cannot see this sub-forum without logging in.

Good point!
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Sonar X3 Studio, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:38 pm

Hmm... I can only hope that if she does decide to check the link then Guy's sign-on will still be there.

If she comes back to me and can't access it I'll take some screen grabs.
0 x