Sad news about guitarfan

Anything related to music, recording, gear, or this forum. Friendly chat welcome. NO politics or religion please, there are plenty of other forums for both topics. Anything else is fine.
Forum rules
Be nice.
Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sad news about guitarfan

Post by Zoetrope » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:50 am

Sungodv wrote:I was just thinking, one cannot see this sub-forum without logging in.
Good point. I just flipped the switch so that this sub-forum is publicly view-able.
2 x

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:04 pm

Thanks Marc. I don't know if she will look but at least she can.
1 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

storpotaten
Yoda
Yoda

Post by storpotaten » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:15 pm

That is very sad news. Guy always impressed with his musicianship and his friendly posts.

Thanks Dick for letting us know.
1 x

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Lungfruit » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:45 am

My condolences to Guy's family.
1 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:36 am

WOW! I'm just floored to read this! I just can't believe what I'm seeing here! I haven't been on forum in months and was reviewing all the old members jams and could only find Guy's most recent thing on that old Korg unit. Sad news indeed. He was always and will still be one of my favorite members. He was always so kind to me and one of my biggest inspirations to keep playing and recording. I studied quite a few of his compositions.
sad sad sad sad. :( :( :( :( :(
Here's one of our collabs from was back for old times sake. I played my ES135 and also the Fender Jazz. He is the heart of this song. 2 guitrs, drum programming, sound effects, composition are all him. I just added one guitar and one bass track to it. I'll never forget him! He was truly a musical genuis.

Jungle Fever
2 x
Les Paul Studio, ES 135, Guild G37, Wechter Pathmaker, Fender GN-45SCE Classical, YouRockGuitar, Fender Jazz Bass, Ovation Celebrity, Oscar Schmidt OU6LCE Ukulele, Gibson F4 Mandolin, Yamaha PSR-225GM, Line 6 UX2 & FX100, DOD FET preamp, MC10O Condensor Mic, Dynamic Unidirectional Mic, MRS-8, Samplitude, REAPER, Mixcraft, EZ Drummer/Mix, Steven Slate Drums, POD Farm, Guitar Rig, FENDER Deluxe Silverface, Roland CUBE-60, Jazz Real Books by Sher Music
PC=quad core I5,7200 1TB SATA HD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Graphics card, RAIDMAX|HELIOS Tower, 8GB RAM, 1TB ExtHD
Soundclick Soundcloud Reverbnation YouTube

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:29 pm

I opened up my 4Shared account from WAY back and found an old study I did of one of Guy's tunes. I worked HARD on this piece. As soon as I saw the old song I was like "Yes, GuyD"! He was a strong influence on me. I wish I'd had kept in touch better.
Both the jam track AND the final track w/lead added glued together here. I tried to upload it to SoundClick but it failed miserably like 5x on my desktop and twice on my lappy. Guess it'll hafta reside in it's tomb on 4Shared!
Long Live Guy's memory. I for one, will never forget him!

Now I'm off to try and find his original ver. If I can't find it here it might be on my desktop or external drive.
I found it! The original post from Guy was still in cyberspace! But the link to his version was a dead end! Sad! He was stoked for surfers! That is cool.
Also residing in the original post is a link to a vid I did at the height of the study playing along to Guy's original song! He had THE most unique style.
Surfer's Dream Video

Link to Guy's original post for "Surfers Dream"

Surfer's Dream
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:25 pm

I always still think about GuyD/guitarfan! :( :shock: He inspired me so much. I remember when he sent me this jam and I played along to it for like a week. Finally hit REC adding my acoustic guitar, electric bass, and a tabla vsti to his amazing guitar playing and brilliant song writing. We ended up w/this mellowest of mellow acoustic jams.
His palette was a large one to draw from.
Offshore Mornings
0 x
Les Paul Studio, ES 135, Guild G37, Wechter Pathmaker, Fender GN-45SCE Classical, YouRockGuitar, Fender Jazz Bass, Ovation Celebrity, Oscar Schmidt OU6LCE Ukulele, Gibson F4 Mandolin, Yamaha PSR-225GM, Line 6 UX2 & FX100, DOD FET preamp, MC10O Condensor Mic, Dynamic Unidirectional Mic, MRS-8, Samplitude, REAPER, Mixcraft, EZ Drummer/Mix, Steven Slate Drums, POD Farm, Guitar Rig, FENDER Deluxe Silverface, Roland CUBE-60, Jazz Real Books by Sher Music
PC=quad core I5,7200 1TB SATA HD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Graphics card, RAIDMAX|HELIOS Tower, 8GB RAM, 1TB ExtHD

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:47 pm

surfercook wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:25 pm
I always still think about GuyD/guitarfan! :( :shock:
I know. I think of Guy all the time. It's amazing how the music connects us all. I've never met Guy once in my life but I miss him much.

This is good, Marc. I have one that Guy and I did together. I have to write some lyrics to it and record them. I just don't want to half-ass it though and I'm not really up for a full production. It's a rocker and I just don't feel like I can generate that much energy right now.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:49 pm

The Cracks wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:47 pm
I have one that Guy and I did together. I have to write some lyrics to it and record them. I just don't want to half-ass it though and I'm not really up for a full production. It's a rocker and I just don't feel like I can generate that much energy right now.
Send it to me please. I'd love to study a gitfan freshie! :type: :guitar:
0 x

M.T.Pilot
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by M.T.Pilot » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:58 pm

Ah man.. I didn't know about this, I only just read it... :(
0 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Jim_Fogle » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:52 pm

Still bums me out. Guy D is the only person I ever collaborated with successfully. I haven't even enjoyed working with my brother. I miss him a lot.
1 x
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
2017 Band-in-a-Box, Music Creator 6, Audacity, Chord Pulse
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB HD
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:34 am

I received this work from Guy DeBreilly in January 2015. He sent it to me as a collaboration project. I was always urging him to record himself playing electric guitar. I knew he'd sound great and he did. I was to write lyrics and record them over the music. While I began my work on the song I never completed it before Guy passed away. I don't feel like I should complete the project now. I don't think I should submit to the world a collaboration between us that he doesn't get a say in. I decided to post his original work, without any edits from me. I don't think he would mind his work being posted as he always put stuff up. But if any of his old friends think this is out of line just let me know and I'll consider it. I feel like he put me in care of this piece so I don't want to be negligent in my duties. I had to put it on my main soundclick page as they removed my collaboration page and now my rough draft page ("The Crack Pot" ) is under review and surely will be coming down. I didn't want to hold onto Guy's recording any longer for I'm sure it would have been lost to time sooner or later.

Here is Guy playing eclectic guitar:

Guy DeBreilly electric guitar jam.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:46 pm

That is sooo cool to hear a new piece from the Gitfan himself. Sooo stoked you posted this, Sean. He surely would approve, although Guy always underestimated his talent and knowledge for music. What always amazed me about his RECs was the versatility. He could play everything. Classical, contemporary, jazz, and rock....apparently REALLY good. This jam is fueled w/some high octane punch! :metal: Sounds like U2 but better! That bass line is sweeet. I def wanna do a new study. Learning his pieces was always a welcome challenge. This one sounds pretty intricate. Hope I can get inside it.
I don't know about learning that break w/the effect near the end though. That was way cool....like the ending! :clap:
(too bad your SC page(s) are gettin schmooted. This REC woulda been better off over there. But if you add something you should def put it on your page. We should both do it for guitarfan! He woulda wanted that.)
0 x

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:40 am

The Cracks wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:34 am
I received this work from Guy DeBreilly in January 2015. He sent it to me as a collaboration project. I was always urging him to record himself playing electric guitar. I knew he'd sound great and he did. I was to write lyrics and record them over the music. While I began my work on the song I never completed it before Guy passed away. I don't feel like I should complete the project now. I don't think I should submit to the world a collaboration between us that he doesn't get a say in. I decided to post his original work, without any edits from me. I don't think he would mind his work being posted as he always put stuff up. But if any of his old friends think this is out of line just let me know and I'll consider it. I feel like he put me in care of this piece so I don't want to be negligent in my duties. I had to put it on my main soundclick page as they removed my collaboration page and now my rough draft page ("The Crack Pot" ) is under review and surely will be coming down. I didn't want to hold onto Guy's recording any longer for I'm sure it would have been lost to time sooner or later.

Here is Guy playing eclectic guitar:

Guy DeBreilly electric guitar jam.
This sounds familiar. I think Guy might've sent me the same piece of music to collab on but like you, Sean, I never got around to doing anything with it.

Thank you for posting this. I agree it should be posted as it is to further demonstrate Guy's incredible talent and versatility.

:D
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Sonar X3 Studio (RIP), Reason 7,
NI Session Strings & Vintage Organs, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:48 am

I had edited the work down to a 2:30 song some time ago. I have gibberish lyrics recorded over it. I just needed to write final lyrics. I think I'll be able to write the final lyrics today and record them. I'll upload what I have and if people think it is worthy of Guy's work then they can add stuff to it too. I'll let you know how I'm progressing. Of course you are free to create a collaboration from the work on your own if you wish. I don't think Guy would mind Zoomers working with this draft material. That's why he sent it out to us.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:13 pm

Here is what I came up with today. The original edit was done at about the time Guy sent me the material but I never got his okay on the way I cut the song up. I was going to present him with a final version but things got in the way (the State Song thing, etc.). I almost immediately heard the music singing the phrase "Dreamcatcher" to me. So I wrote the lyrics today built around that title and recorded them. I'm not sure of the quality of my recording so if you think the lyrics fit the song okay maybe I can rerecord the lyrics or tweak them. If anyone wants to record these lyrics or write new ones just let me know and I'll send you my edited version of Guy's material. And if you think this recording is okay but want to add your own stuff to it, feel free. I'm sure Guy would like a Zoom collaboration project initiated by him.

Note: Marc, I saw your PM to me after I uploaded this. Yes, Guy's work is very good and I don't won't to sully it with anything I do. That's one reason I didn't post anything using his work before once I heard he passed away. I know this work doesn't reach the level of Guy's recording but it's a sample of what could be done with the song. I think the edited song structure and lyrics are okay but my vocal recording...not sure.

Here is my edited version called Dreamcatcher.

Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher, Dreamcatcher
Show me a sign
I'm over here just wasting time
Won't you come and lift me up high?

Fly me away
I'm not sure if I can stay
Take me to a much better place

Circles of life

Weave me a web
I'm sleepwalking on the ledge
I can't stand the madness in my head

Circles of life

Circles of life

Circles of life
1 x
My albums

My songs

My website

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:24 pm

Thanks for posting this Sean.

Guy was a very good guitarist. Often understated but he had wealth of talent.

We intended at some point to actually play together but the only time we met we spent the afternoon and evening eating, drinking red wine and talking and we never did pick up the guitars. We thought there would always be another time.

Carpe diem folks.

I like the idea of an open collab although I'm not sure whether I will be able to offer anything.
1 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here