Considering Selling My Avantone

Anything related to music, recording, gear, or this forum. Friendly chat welcome. NO politics or religion please, there are plenty of other forums for both topics. Anything else is fine.
Forum rules
Be nice.
voclizr
The Force
The Force

Considering Selling My Avantone

Post by voclizr » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:14 am

In late 2015 I bought an Avantone CV-12 tube condenser mic. @ $500.00, it was a considerable investment. I posted my intention to buy it on this forum and Lucas advised me to do some room treatment before making my purchase. Well, I didn't do the room treatment before I bought the mic, but a few months after, I submitted a room diagram for an analysis to Auralex and purchased a kit for another $500.00 for room treatment and installed the pads as per Auralex's instructions (sacrificing my beloved wall posters to do so :evil: ). I also, at the advise of some "pros" (nobody associated with this board) traded my Line 6 UX2 for a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 interface. After all these changes and purchases I found myself disappointed with my vocal sound. A few months ago, I created a project in Sonar where I did a comparison of the 3 mics I own: The CV-12, an Apex 450 condenser and my long trusted Peavey Dynamic PVM 38. The results turned out that the Apex condenser (which I bought at a local music store for less than $100.00) sounded best! The Avantone ($500.00) sounded the worst. I really think at this point that I would've been better off spending that total $1200.00 on effect or instrument plug ins than on three things that did absolutely nothing to better my acoustic elements. Now I'm considering selling my Avantone. I did use it on 10 projects which I really had to work hard on the mix to get the vocal tracks to a moderately satisfactory level. I'm going to do the next few projects with the Apex to see how it works "out in the field". From now on, I won't let myself be dazzled by the price tag to determine how great a product is. My question here is, how much do you think I should be able to get for it as it's only a bit more than a year old and still in excellent condition. I'm not putting a "For Sale" sign on it just yet, but do you think I could expect at least $450.00?

Thanks for your input.

:D
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Sonar X3 Studio, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Re: Considering Selling My Avantone

Post by Sungodv » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:42 pm

Funny to hear this....but I think I like my $50 SP-1 by MXL the best....and maybe the other MXL I have.
That said, I haven't used any of it in years. :noway:
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

Jim_Fogle
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Jim_Fogle » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:35 pm

eBay is showing new Avantone CV-12 tube condenser mics through Sam Ash for about $410, factory repack with full factory warranty for about $350 and used for about $150. The price for a used unit has dropped about $100 per year over the last 3 years.

Used on Amazon looks a lot better for the sellers with a low of $400 (plus shipping) and high of $480 (plus shipping). Big difference is the used ones on Amazon are sold by music stores instead of individuals on eBay.

Two used ones on my local Craiglist are each listed for $150.
0 x
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
2017 Band-in-a-Box, Music Creator 6, Audacity, Chord Pulse
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB HD
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:11 am

Sungodv wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:42 pm
Funny to hear this....but I think I like my $50 SP-1 by MXL the best....and maybe the other MXL I have.
That said, I haven't used any of it in years. :noway:
It doesn't make sense to me either. A mic you pay $500.00 for should offer you more than one you pay $88.00 for. Also, there is much accolade for the CV-12 among the online home recording community (as well as the pros). But maybe it's my ears. When I bought the Apex a few years ago I wasn't too thrilled with it so I kept on using my Peavey Dynamic, but when I did the comparison test the Apex stood out sounding clearer, I was recently in contact with a tech support rep from Avantone. I sent him some audio samples and he told me that it sounds that the mic is performing the way it should. He also suggested I turn down the input volume and get closer to the mic (3-4 inches as opposed to my 6-8 inches). He said that would clean up the signal. I don't have the Avantone set up right now. It's a minor project to set it up and I've been using the Apex lately, but I'll try his suggestions when I set it back up.

Jim-Thanks for the research and info on the online used market. :D
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Sonar X3 Studio, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:30 pm

You could have let us hear and tell you what we thought, but I guess tech support is gonna know it's product
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.