Zoom F8 - a band (not mine!) practice recording

Anything related to music, recording, gear, or this forum. Friendly chat welcome. NO politics or religion please, there are plenty of other forums for both topics. Anything else is fine.
Forum rules
Be nice.
still_fiddlin

Zoom F8 - a band (not mine!) practice recording

Post by still_fiddlin » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:29 pm

This is one song (of 10 - more at the SC account this is located at) of 10 full and some partials I recorded a couple weeks back.

It's a 4 piece (Houston based) band with no bass (on their short list). All originals. I met one of the members doing a solo thing at an acoustic open mic I was recording and he asked me to come down and capture their practice. This was the first song they did that I captured in full (they started before I had everything hooked up.)

Graveyard Shift by The Half Truths (SoundCloud link)

All 8 channels were used - 2 vocal (SM58), 1 electric guitar (SM57), one a/e guitar (Taylor via DI), keyboard (Casio via DI), 3 drum mics (1 D112, 2 Beta57a). Mixed in Logic Pro X.

I like my F8 so much I bought a second (F8n).
1 x

Beatnick
dues paid
dues paid

Re: Zoom F8 - a band (not mine!) practice recording

Post by Beatnick » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:40 pm

I like it. You should have posted this in the New Songs section.
1 x
My YouTube channel
Beatnick's Odyssey on Bandcamp
Beatnick's Odyssey on SoundCloud

Zoom equipment I currently own
G3n, G3, R8, G1, PS-04, 508, 505 II

It's only music, don't take it so seriously

still_fiddlin

Post by still_fiddlin » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:54 am

Beatnick wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:40 pm
I like it. You should have posted this in the New Songs section.
Thanks. I didn't put it there because it's not me in the recording nor is it my song.

I'm more of a shill for the Zoom F8 :). (Their field recorders are not devices tracked/used much in this forum, it seems.)
0 x

Beatnick
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Beatnick » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:35 am

I understand and I figured that's why you did not put it there. My personal opinion is as long as Zoom was used to record it and the original artist doesn't mind you posting on their behalf it would be fine to post there.

I do not know much about the F8, but the recording is good.
0 x
My YouTube channel
Beatnick's Odyssey on Bandcamp
Beatnick's Odyssey on SoundCloud

Zoom equipment I currently own
G3n, G3, R8, G1, PS-04, 508, 505 II

It's only music, don't take it so seriously

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Jim_Fogle » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:48 pm

Nice sounding tracks. The dynamic range is broad. What type of facility do they practice in, I didn't hear much background noise or natural reverb even on the drums so really nice job capturing the sound.
1 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

still_fiddlin

Post by still_fiddlin » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:27 pm

It's a "band room" in a place in a strip center that has small rooms for lessons and a couple large-ish rooms (I'd guess *maybe* 15' x 25' if I had to but I didn't pace it off). They rent one of those for a couple hours a couple Sundays every month. Not soundproof by any means and with a big plexiglas window. The guy that came in to turn on their PA looked at me setting up to record and said something about the drums next door were going to be loud and the band members all nodded their heads. But, maybe the drum lessons guy didn't show or the band was loud enough I didn't notice...

So, big enough to practice in though there were the two guitars/singers on one long end and the drummer and keyboard on the other and they were facing each other. Ok for practice but not a good video opportunity.

Vocals were pretty tight on the mics so minimal bleed, same with the little electric guitar amp. The drummer was tucked back towards a corner and the Beta57s' back sides pointed up so they didn't capture any outside noises to speak of. I did trigger a sample on the kick and snare just to play with it but it's only a bit more in the mix than the original track. I had cautioned the drummer about overbanging the cymbals since I only had the 2 mics kind of overhead - he took it a little too liberally so cymbals are a little light - if I do this again and they want to pay extra I'll take the 2nd F8n and put more mics on the drums, though TBH they didn't complain!

The F8s are the bees knees as far as for what I do. The sound is studio-like with even the most basic of decent mics.

P.S. They only had vocals going through the PA - I use splitters to capture those before they get there. Keyboard and guitars all go to small amps, but I used a DI for the keyboard and acoustic(/electric) guitar so didn't worry about their amped sound - it was loud in that room, but like I said, the s/n of vocals and drums keep bleed concerns to a minimum.
1 x