We're moving to Facebook

Anything related to music, recording, gear, or this forum. Friendly chat welcome. NO politics or religion please, there are plenty of other forums for both topics. Anything else is fine.
Forum rules
Be nice.
Beatnick
dues paid
dues paid

Re: We're moving to Facebook

Post by Beatnick » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:39 am

I take it you already deleted some of the sections here. I don't see much anymore.
0 x
My YouTube channel
Beatnick's Odyssey on Bandcamp
Beatnick's Odyssey on SoundCloud

Zoom equipment I currently own
G3n, G3, R8, G1, PS-04, 508, 505 II

It's only music, don't take it so seriously

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:27 am

Oh dear lord, please don't quote Thatcher. Even in jest.
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:28 am

Beatnick wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:39 am
I take it you already deleted some of the sections here. I don't see much anymore.
Not deleted. Just moved. I'm cleaning up the old place in hopes it moves people to the new place.
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:13 pm

I found another songwriter forum. It looks busy and active. I don't know if I'm going to post as I am not sure I want to get back into the listen to three and post one. There is a good chance nobody will listen to mine as I'm not part of the in-crowd and I don't feel like digging my way into the system over there. This forum was a special place for me and I don't know if I can duplicate it or even if I want to. I might join that forum and listen to a few and then post one and then not give a damn if anyone responds to it or not. I might start posting on Band-in-a-Box forum as I use their drums and bass guitars so I'd qualify. I might just record and not post the songs anywhere. I just don't know. But, as Sir Dick said many years ago, I do have to keep writing and playing. It's part of me. It's who I am.

Here is that website:

http://www.thesongwritersforum.com/forum/

The Songwriters Forum

p.s. I went over the forum and joined up. It seems like a fairly active group. They seem more focused on songwriting rather than musicianship and home recording techniques, which, I must admit, is right up my alley. I'll give the place a try.
1 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:03 pm

Sorry to see this end but it's become somewhat of a ghost town of late. I've been a member since 2006 and it was a blast about 12 years ago. Great interactions, tonyoci and the "Home Made Hit Show" among other things. We were community of music makers.

People I will always remember-Zoetrope, tonyoci, dickl, Cracks, Unstablixx, SungodV, Omegaman, Lucas, Tonto2, Petedeuxwheels, GuitarFan, Freighttrain Jones, Surfercook, TracyLeu and many more I can't remember offhand. It's been a blast. Learned a lot too.

Thanks so much, Marc, for giving this present to the music makers that have come through here.

:D John B
1 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Vintage Organs & Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

fotoralf

Post by fotoralf » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:17 am

Zoetrope wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:27 am
Oh dear lord, please don't quote Thatcher. Even in jest.
So, stop this Fakebook nonsense or I'll have her recite the whole dead parrot scene...

On a more serious note, all this is a late vengeance for the fact that we let go of Usenet, the only user-administered discussion medium that ever was. Ever since, we've been at the mercy of moderators, list owners and admins able to close down popular forums on a whim.

Ralf
0 x
surround audio and panoramic photography in western europe
audio examples: http://aporee.org/maps/projects/fotoralf
blog (German): http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com/

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:09 am

The Cracks wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:13 pm
I found another songwriter forum. It looks busy and active. I don't know if I'm going to post as I am not sure I want to get back into the listen to three and post one. There is a good chance nobody will listen to mine as I'm not part of the in-crowd and I don't feel like digging my way into the system over there. This forum was a special place for me and I don't know if I can duplicate it or even if I want to. I might join that forum and listen to a few and then post one and then not give a damn if anyone responds to it or not. I might start posting on Band-in-a-Box forum as I use their drums and bass guitars so I'd qualify. I might just record and not post the songs anywhere. I just don't know. But, as Sir Dick said many years ago, I do have to keep writing and playing. It's part of me. It's who I am.

Here is that website:

The Songwriters Forum

p.s. I went over the forum and joined up. It seems like a fairly active group. They seem more focused on songwriting rather than musicianship and home recording techniques, which, I must admit, is right up my alley. I'll give the place a try.
Sean, I joined that forum about 9 years ago and at the time it was pretty active, but I gave up on it in recent years because the activity was falling off. But looking at it now, I do see quite a few recent posts. Guess it picked up a bit.

:D
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Vintage Organs & Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:11 am

fotoralf wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:17 am
On a more serious note, all this is a late vengeance for the fact that we let go of Usenet, the only user-administered discussion medium that ever was. Ever since, we've been at the mercy of moderators, list owners and admins able to close down popular forums on a whim.

Ralf
I would hardly call this a whim. I've been planning to close down the forum for years. I waited until new registrations and posts had dropped significantly enough. All that time I've been paying out of pocket to keep things running, and using my time to sort out the spammers from the real humanoids. Now Facebook can foot the bill and sort the spammers.

I do agree about Usenet however. Actually, that's how I felt about Gopher.
0 x

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:01 am

Despite my reluctance to rejoin FB I have just followed Zoom Forum on Twitter :D (although it doesn't look very busy either ;) )
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

Beatnick
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Beatnick » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:29 am

I still think more people would be willing to go to Mewe instead of Facebook. Mewe is really growing and a Facebook alternative pretty geared toward people who don't like other social media platforms. That's just how I feel about it.
0 x
My YouTube channel

Beatnick
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Beatnick » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:09 am

The Cracks wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:13 pm

Here is that website:

The Songwriters Forum

That does look interesting. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be geared toward people on phones so it's a little hard to navigate, but I will look at it more when I'm home on my laptop. I am definitely more interested in the songwriting side of things too.
0 x
My YouTube channel

M.T.Pilot
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by M.T.Pilot » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:43 pm

Most music fora have decreased enormously in activity since the rise of social media such as facebook. However, facebook and the likes have far from replaced these fora, since their functionality is such that e.g. facebook is far from ideal to be used as an alternative for fora.

I have not found a single facebook group that is as effective and functional in getting comments on your songs as were this forum and other music fora. In other words, something was basically lost when facebook and other social media drained the music fora from members and activity.

Anyway, I have enjoyed being part of the zoom-forum (999 posts so far) and want to thank Zoetrope (and all members [current and past]) for it. :^:
1 x

fotoralf

Post by fotoralf » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:48 pm

All the Facebook this and Facebook that reminds me of the times when you had to be a member of The Party in order to get a job or decent housing. Now, The Party has been replaced by Facebook.

As it happens, I'm having a problem with my H3-VR's Mac software and no-one to discuss it with. Pity, really.

So long, all. And thanks for the company.

Ralf
0 x
surround audio and panoramic photography in western europe
audio examples: http://aporee.org/maps/projects/fotoralf
blog (German): http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com/

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:39 pm

M.T.Pilot wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:43 pm
Most music fora have decreased enormously in activity since the rise of social media such as facebook. However, facebook and the likes have far from replaced these fora, since their functionality is such that e.g. facebook is far from ideal to be used as an alternative for fora.

I have not found a single facebook group that is as effective and functional in getting comments on your songs as were this forum and other music fora. In other words, something was basically lost when facebook and other social media drained the music fora from members and activity.

Anyway, I have enjoyed being part of the zoom-forum (999 posts so far) and want to thank Zoetrope (and all members [current and past]) for it. :^:
Agreed, another music forum I have used set up a FB group and although it was a useful platform to exchange pleasantries it never became a place to post new music and get feedback.

I have joined another forum which may be of interest: Indie Music. I haven't posted anything yet but I know a few people there from Macjams.
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

Billy900
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Billy900 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:54 am

What a shame. I'm a new member here, but I also won't be using Facebook. Sorry to hear you are moving the forum there and surprised anyone would consider it given the recent issues.
Will the current content on this forum be lost entirely?
0 x
Cheers, Billy900

Zoom R8, MS-50G

NucleusX
dues paid
dues paid

Post by NucleusX » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:21 am

Damn, that's some sad news for me considering i'm also anti-facebook.

@Zoetrope.

So much knowledge has accumulated here over the years. Do you plan to retain it, or will it all be discarded ?
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:03 am

Anyone who wants to make a copy of the forum should do it soon. It will likely be gone by the end of the year. This software looks like it would do the job: https://sourceforge.net/projects/forumdownloader/
For those who don't want to join Facebook, I understand your issues with it, but that's where this forum is going. Feel free to start your own forum on Mewe or host your own forum. I'll miss those who don't make the jump, but I will not miss the constant management headaches and cost of managing this forum. After 18 years of it, I'm giving myself a break.
0 x