The "BEST" Music decade?

Anything related to music, recording, gear, or this forum. Friendly chat welcome. NO politics or religion please, there are plenty of other forums for both topics. Anything else is fine.
Forum rules
Be nice.

What's your favorite music decade?

Current
20%
90s
10%
80s
30%
70s
20%
60s
20%
50s
No votes

Total votes: 10

shaft
dues paid
dues paid

Post by shaft » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:56 pm

its easier to find old music thats good because the good music lives on and the bad music is forgotten
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:44 pm

shaft wrote:its easier to find old music thats good because the good music lives on and the bad music is forgotten
Shaft you've got it. I guarantee the 60's and 70's shelves were full of total crap (disco anyone) and I know the 80's were from my own experience. But we don't remember all that, we just remember the stuff that lasted. Truth is we probably liked and bought some of that crap even though we forget that now :D
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:44 pm

Unfortunately, I tend to remember the crap too. Somebody, please get Disco Duck out of my head. :shock:
0 x

Lee
The Force
The Force

Post by Lee » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:54 pm

Rick Dees did that one, right? I can understand why my daughter likes it but that’s where it stops – a horrible song indeed. At least the “Pac Man Fever” song from the early eighties had real arcade sound effects and all. Rick's hack job had him doing a garbled impression of Donald Duck and holding notes with vibrato, etc. :lol:

That song actually makes me feel violent… like I want to hurt someone, like I want to hurt Rick Dees! Hey, maybe that makes it a good workout song? :shock:

Maybe we should start a “worse (popular) song of all time” thread? It would be hard to whittle it down to one choice!

[EDIT]
I should probably add that there are many disco songs that I honestly like. I'm hoping that I'll be able to cover some of them and share the wealth on the forum! :)

Also, some of the Stones', Rod Stewart, and Fleetwood Mac's best stuff was an intentional disco rock hybrid. Blondie and even the Eagles come to mind as well (the latter was more of a Bee Gees vocal homage in "One of These Nights"... the others were typically the beat and bass).
Last edited by Lee on Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"At one point, Lee made a surprisingly intelligent comment" - ferret
rock project (sc) | country stuff (sc)

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:00 pm

I liked some disco too like I like some emo stuff, but there's a hell of a lot of crap out there in relation to the good stuff.
0 x

Lee
The Force
The Force

Post by Lee » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:08 pm

I put the Bee Gees up on my top ten or fifteen list of main influences. Why else do you think I use the falsettos so much? :lol:
...a lot of really great songs that came from the Gibb family.

I'm listening to Rush as I type... (Limelight)
0 x

Rick Jones
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Rick Jones » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:14 pm

Did you know to get that massive echo on Limelight's solo they opened up the studio door and recorded the echoes of the guitar amp bouncing back off the mountains?
0 x
Music's never been a hobby to me- it's a pure joy.

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:33 pm

The Brothers Gibb were never disco (IMHO) they were 100% pop. Even songs like Night Fever don't really sound like Disco songs if you can remove yourself from the natural frame of reference.

Tony
0 x

StingerT125
Jedi
Jedi

Post by StingerT125 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:56 pm

Lee - good topic for sparking some discussion.

I couldn't vote because I could never decide.

The music of the late sixties early seventies is the music I was playing when I first starting learning to play, so that holds a special place. But I am always being turned on to new and old music that I haven't heard before from all these eras and each is a good as the rest.
0 x

Lee
The Force
The Force

Post by Lee » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:06 am

tonyoci wrote:The Brothers Gibb were never disco (IMHO) they were 100% pop. Even songs like Night Fever don't really sound like Disco songs if you can remove yourself from the natural frame of reference.
I couldn't agree more. It just so happens that I listened to "Night Fever" this morning and thought the exact same thing. Great writing is great writing and Barry nailed it many times over. "I "Want to Be Your Everything", that Andy did, is one of his/"their" writing peaks in my opinion. Their collabs had some great stuff too like "Islands in The Stream" with Dolly Parton.
0 x