Honesty or Encouragement?

Anything related to music, recording, gear, or this forum. Friendly chat welcome. NO politics or religion please, there are plenty of other forums for both topics. Anything else is fine.
Forum rules
Be nice.

Would you rather have honest criticism or optimistic encouragement?

Honesty
63%
Encouragement
38%

Total votes: 8

Omegaman
The Force
The Force

Post by Omegaman » Thu May 25, 2006 10:03 am

Being an insecure artist, though, makes me believe that Ian was talking about me when he wrote 'some of it should be left on the cutting room floor'. Of course, it was me he was talking about... it couldn't have been anyone else... now what am I going to do? Woe is me! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mike, in my business, some of the best stuff is found on teh cutting room floor, otherwise where would all those blooper shows get their fodder? ;-) or loops? :lol:
Last edited by Omegaman on Thu May 25, 2006 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Tonto2
The Force
The Force

Re: Honesty or Encouragement?

Post by Tonto2 » Thu May 25, 2006 10:17 am

ianmackay wrote: in http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/viewtopic. ... ght=#43243 the following:

Thanks for the feedback Tonto - I've listened to your recordings too - it's addictive huh! but great that you can do something so fun with your daughter...

I wish I'd gotten into music earlier - I guess I started fairly early - I was 13 when I first picked up my Mum's battered old classical guitar, some 15 years ago now, but if I'd started earlier I think I'd have learnt much better technique - kids pick things up so fast!

The drum track I have is actually the most simple thing - FAST programming... loop 12, multiply by 80! So there shouldn't really be any errors... The off notes are a result of a poor mp3 converting... shame, but I promise when I've remastered it I'll make a proper one!

By the way, what's the difference between a drum machine and a drummer?

You only have to beat the information into a drum machine once...

Good luck on your new hobby, I wait with baited breath your next creation!

Ian
Hey Ian...

It's no biggie, but your previous post got me wondering if I had mixed you up with another member (like I did with the blues work by Matbio...) anyway... I searched around and eventually found the nice things you said to us. They had a positive impact on me and especially my daughter.

Again... don't worry... I know I've been guilty of errors on this forum (probably more than I'm aware of... anyway I've noticed that like me.... you seem to be a "night owl"... staying up well past the hours we ought to have gone to sleep. Tired eyes and fingers (for typing) are normal symptoms of a mind that needs a good rest.

We look forward to more of your music, reviews and posts in general.

And.... as I think... I said to you once earlier... I'm glad we've got you here in this group! I'm guessing I make a few less errors during the day... after I've slept a good 8 hours. <==Unfortunately, that's not when I'm here the most!

:) & 8)
0 x
. .

Tonto2
Father/Daughter Team
_________________________________________________________________________________
. Homemade music made around the campfire, at the beach, or just about anywhere!
Our SoundClick Site ? Our 1st Forum Post ? Our Portable Recording Gear ? Our Favorite Keyboard Artist

Stu
dues paid
dues paid

honesty

Post by Stu » Thu May 25, 2006 1:28 pm

well because im new at all of this, i really like people to hear my stuff. Generally i know the recording and vocals suck. For me i want honest criticism and some hints on how to improve things. But hey if it is shit please tell me lol.
0 x

Lee
The Force
The Force

Post by Lee » Thu May 25, 2006 2:30 pm

Riffmaster wrote:I would have to say honest encouragement. Lots of things to factor in when reviewing.
Someone mentioned repetition in the posts so I'll propose Dishonest Discouragement as a fourth option. This is how it works... (and it's fun)

Riff - you stink at playing the guitar. Your voice sounds like a choir boy and your songs have no hooks. You should go techno or quit altogether with all that Froggy southern/classic rock rubbish.

KeyOfZ - you're the sloppiest guitar player up here, and did I mention slow?

Howard - the death metal is getting tiresome and why do you insist on NC17 lyrics?

Tony - you're very talented and I love all your music!!!

Rick - you're a very normal person.

See there? That was fun and easy! The best of both worlds. You get to be mean and nice - honest and dishonest all at once!
0 x
"At one point, Lee made a surprisingly intelligent comment" - ferret
rock project (sc) | country stuff (sc)

Omegaman
The Force
The Force

Post by Omegaman » Thu May 25, 2006 2:46 pm

oh, and Lee, that shaved head look just ain't workin for ya dude! :shock:
0 x

Unstablxxx
The Force
The Force

Post by Unstablxxx » Thu May 25, 2006 3:19 pm

Lee wrote:

Priceless.... :lol:
0 x
Mike
-
-
Rocketing towards 5000 posts without a care in the world!
-
-
My solo music | My Eljam music | My Studio Tour | Vocal Effect Demo | Kristal Tutorial

Rick Jones
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Rick Jones » Thu May 25, 2006 5:38 pm

Lee wrote:Rick - you're a very normal person.
That's more true than you realize.
0 x
Music's never been a hobby to me- it's a pure joy.

Lee
The Force
The Force

Post by Lee » Thu May 25, 2006 10:12 pm

Unstablxxx wrote:
Lee wrote:

Yeah, I saved the meanest ones for Rick and Tony. :)
0 x
"At one point, Lee made a surprisingly intelligent comment" - ferret
rock project (sc) | country stuff (sc)

Rick Jones
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Rick Jones » Thu May 25, 2006 10:50 pm

Lee wrote:
Unstablxxx wrote:
Lee wrote:

Yeah, I saved the meanest ones for Rick and Tony. :)

Someday, when you least expect it.....Chas' butt will get you.
0 x
Music's never been a hobby to me- it's a pure joy.