To give "it" or not to give "it"

Anything related to music, recording, gear, or this forum. Friendly chat welcome. NO politics or religion please, there are plenty of other forums for both topics. Anything else is fine.
Forum rules
Be nice.

Give my nephew the PS04?

Yes. No strings attached. Music is freedom.
22%
Yes. Make him pay a token fee to appreciate it.
11%
Yes. For free, but insist he use it or it will be reclaimed.
56%
Yes. Other... (explain)
11%
No. Tell him and/or my brother-in-law to go buy it for him.
No votes
No. Other...(explain)
No votes

Total votes: 9

Lee
The Force
The Force

To give "it" or not to give "it"

Post by Lee » Wed May 31, 2006 2:39 pm

This might be a case of life imitating fart… I mean art. The "it" is my Zoom PS04.

I’ve mentioned before that I gave my PS02 to my nephew (JDK) some time ago with the stipulation of sending me some songs once he got them laid down. Well it’s been about two years now and nothing. Zilch!

Another nephew (JB), who lives much closer, and these are real life people and not made up characters, has just expressed a lot of interest in recording and asked me about a tape based four tracker. Of course, I quickly recommended the PS04 and also hinted that I might consider giving mine to him because I have all but exclusively used the MRS8 so I won’t miss it… I think.

My question is should I give it to him? If so, should there be strings attached as incentive for usage? The first nephew now lives out of state so I couldn’t really follow through on my initial request for him to produce or else, but this one can’t escape! Muah ha ha ha!!!

PS
It gets stranger. I also told him about the forum (no URL yet) and now I’m afraid that he’ll join (if he gets the PS04) and I’ll no longer get away with being a butthead without my whole extended family hearing about it! Oh, how I’ll miss that!! :lol: For example, my wife is the only one that knows about the crude rap song. Yes, I live my life an open book but that doesn’t mean I read it to everyone I know or meet.

It’s bad enough that so many of my family members are up on the MySpace site now (all my sisters and many nieces and nephews including JDK and JB), but this might mean loosing my only internet watering hole! I find the timing of this extremely ironic given what’s been going on and my accusations of pseudo-members and all.
0 x
"At one point, Lee made a surprisingly intelligent comment" - ferret
rock project (sc) | country stuff (sc)

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Wed May 31, 2006 2:49 pm

Well I voted Yes-Other

Lend it him, semi permanent, but reserve the right to ask for it back, you don't want him selling it for drugs or something :D If he uses it he can keep it, if not then you can get it back and "lend" it to someone else.

On your "family" subject, god I know what you mean. I think I sometimes reveal parts of myself (?) here that I don't reveal at home, some geniune, some a persona. I realized when I started the HMHS that some of my workmates might start coming here and reading, it's quite terrifying. I used to encourage my wife to join some TV show forums I used to use but when she did I found I had to stop saying what I wanted.

Quite terrifying. BTW: This is really me not someone impersonating me (but then that's what they would say)
0 x

Lee
The Force
The Force

Post by Lee » Wed May 31, 2006 3:08 pm

I realize yours is the first reply, but I think I may very well go that route. I’ve always frowned on long-term lends and people who take things back (happened so much as a kid, right), but this one seems to make sense.

As far as the forum, I’ve hinted that I see an impending slump coming my way out of necessity (the ever changing demands of life, etc), but just what I have said already is enough to implicate me for months at family gatherings. Lol

I do care, and I don't. It's not like I go out of my way to hide things from anyone. Heck, maybe we/I should!
0 x

Macca
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Macca » Wed May 31, 2006 3:18 pm

I'd make him pay something for it, you know so it doesn't go to waste.
Even if its only a couple a bucks a week or something, in which case just rent it out to him!
0 x
\m/

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Wed May 31, 2006 3:53 pm

Well I'm glad I'm not related to you :o
0 x

Macca
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Macca » Wed May 31, 2006 4:11 pm

hahahaha, thats the scottish part of me... :lol:
0 x
\m/

Riffmaster
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Riffmaster » Wed May 31, 2006 5:03 pm

I voted #3 cause if you give it to hin he should use it :shock:
0 x

ianmackay
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ianmackay » Wed May 31, 2006 5:52 pm

I say give it to him, but when you see him maybe put down some stuff on it together - that way it's not like homework that he has to give you stuff and risk you judging his work - some people aren't ready for that - but it'll make it fun for him to use and appreciate what you do more...

How old is he anyway?

Ian
0 x
_____

This space for rent - reasonable rates. Serious callers only. No Iconists. No Child-burning Religious fanatics.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=546108

Jeffster
The Force
The Force

Post by Jeffster » Wed May 31, 2006 9:08 pm

I voted 3, sort of puts the soft kick to his butt, I mean, explain to him that it was expensive, but rather then try to sell it, you'd rather give it to him to use to improve his music making abilities. But, if you find out he isn't using it, then you'll want it back to sell it.
0 x
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Wed May 31, 2006 9:18 pm

Hey Jeff, you usin' that software yet :D :shock:
0 x

Unstablxxx
The Force
The Force

Post by Unstablxxx » Wed May 31, 2006 9:32 pm

I say, "No Strings"... Once you've given it to him, it becomes part of your history. If you lend it to him, you are forced to 'track' it, taking time out of your life. Instead, let it go. Remember it fondly. But don't ever expcet anything else from it.

Now I'll take my philosophers robe off and head to bed. :lol:
0 x
Mike
-
-
Rocketing towards 5000 posts without a care in the world!
-
-
My solo music | My Eljam music | My Studio Tour | Vocal Effect Demo | Kristal Tutorial

Jeffster
The Force
The Force

Post by Jeffster » Wed May 31, 2006 9:35 pm

Yes I'm using the software, not well thank you, but I can invoke it! :gosh:
0 x
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by maceman » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:20 am

I think music is hereditary. If you won't miss it, I'd give it to him and sit back and see what happens. You could mention that when he finds he doesn't use it anymore, then you'd like it back.

I did this with my cousin scott..... He recorded on it more than I ever did, so that was a good thing...

Let's sit back and see a new star born :lol:

maceman
0 x

Lee
The Force
The Force

Post by Lee » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:17 am

Okay, the people have spoken. There’s only one little twist now. He just told me yesterday, via an e-mail, that he’s going to ask for it for his birthday. I’ll talk to his dad and find out if they’re going to buy it. That may actually be the best route because he’ll definitely esteem it more if his parents buy it for him and if he has to wait a little bit for it.

Should I introduce him to the forum before then in order to wet his appetite? Hey wait, then he’s going to read this and find out he could have gotten it for free…darn. Jeff, if you’re reading this, perhaps some time in the future, just know that I have your best interests in mind their buddy boy.

I should also add that he’s a really good kid. He’s not a smart mouth like Sambo :lol: so don’t go being a bad influence on him! ;) He’s primarily a drummer who is only recently learning to play the guitar. I’ve showed him a number of things, but he approaches it as more of a percussive instrument with a lot of emphasis on the right hand/strumming; definitely more of a rhythm player in the making if he continues practicing.
0 x

sambo
Jedi
Jedi

Post by sambo » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:21 am

:lol: :twisted:

should be cool... another guy my age on here (hopefully)... who knows what havoc we could wreak together!!! My 'smart-mouthing', his er... er... RHYTHM!!! we would be UNSTOPPABLE!!!

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
0 x
Zoetrope wrote: "Sambo sneaks back in, and no one notices"

Lee
The Force
The Force

Post by Lee » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:39 pm

sambo wrote::lol: :twisted:

should be cool... another guy my age on here (hopefully)... who knows what havoc we could wreak together!!! My 'smart-mouthing', his er... er... RHYTHM!!! we would be UNSTOPPABLE!!!

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Hey Sam,

Have you checked out Andy? He's been around here for some time and he really kicks butt on the guitar. Check out his site (he's on the left, duh): http://www.sonicharmonic.net/
0 x

sambo
Jedi
Jedi

Post by sambo » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:43 pm

oh i did see this AGES ago... never really listened to it at all though dont think... or gave it much thought...

just listening: coooooool... nice one... thanks for the tip-off lee.
0 x
Zoetrope wrote: "Sambo sneaks back in, and no one notices"