Podcasts we've been on and other successes

Anything related to music, recording, gear, or this forum. Friendly chat welcome. NO politics or religion please, there are plenty of other forums for both topics. Anything else is fine.
Forum rules
Be nice.
The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Re: Podcasts we've been on and other successes

Post by The Cracks » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:10 am

A minor success. I wrote new lyrics to my state's state song "Maryland, My Maryland" .

A short history: The poem "Maryland, My Maryland" was written at the beginning of the U. S. Civil War, in like 1861 or something. It was written by a guy who wanted Maryland to secede from the Union and join the Confederacy. (Slavery was still legal in Maryland at the time of the Civil War.) Maryland didn't leave the Union, but the poem, which was put to the music of "O Tannennbaum" ("Oh, Christmas Tree") became a very popular song in the south during the war and was later adopted as the Maryland state song in the 1930s (because people like the refrain "Maryland, my Maryland").

Many people have found the lyrics rather appalling, considering what they represent. They aren't even historically accurate as Maryland didn't leave the Union. They've done studies and what people like about the song is the refrain of "Maryland, my Maryland". There have been many efforts to change the lyrics but none succeeded.

With the recent racial issues in the United States and South Carolina removing the Confederate battle flag from their capitol building's grounds, a new effort is under way in Maryland to change our lyrics. A state delegate is going to submit a bill to have the lyrics changed to an 1890's version of the song, written by John T. White (which, I must say, have some rather weak lyrics). But White was from the area she represents and it's the only other version of the song people sing these days.

So I thought I'd give my hand at some new lyrics. I wrote what I believe are pretty strong lyrics. They include many aspects of our geography, many state symbols and even our state motto. I made a pretty bad recording of the song using a instrumental track played by the U. S. Marine Band that I found on the Internet. I made a video and submitted my version of the song to some state delegates for consideration. (I thought about posting the video on the new songs forum but I think I'll just wait to see what happens. You can find it by typing in "Maryland, My Maryland Sean Tully in the Youtube search space. I did the formal, Marine Band version, to show it could be sung that way, and a casual, acapella version, to show the song could be sung by anyone.)

I've had a few nice responses so far. But the "success" is that the delegate who is submitting the bill to have the song changed to White's version said she would change her bill to read that the delegates can change the lyrics to White's version or, if they don't like that one, they should consider other versions, and she'll include my lyrics as an example of other lyrics.

I'll keep you posted on the progress. :yes:
2 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:03 pm

Cool :)
0 x

Wolfini
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Wolfini » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:17 pm

I Did Not Know Oh Tannenbaum Was In The Pubic Domain.... Lol

ok, Just A Typo, But A Funny One I Think. ;)

I Liked the Verses Best Where You Mention Local Stuff. good Luck!

Bye Wolfi
0 x