Musical Preference: Lyrical vs Instrumental

Anything related to music, recording, gear, or this forum. Friendly chat welcome. NO politics or religion please, there are plenty of other forums for both topics. Anything else is fine.
Forum rules
Be nice.

Musical Preference: Lyrical Music vs Instrumental Music

I have a clear preference for: Lyrical creations.
56%
I have a clear preference for: Instrumental creations.
44%

Total votes: 9

Tonto2
The Force
The Force

Musical Preference: Lyrical vs Instrumental

Post by Tonto2 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:58 pm

I have long been intriqued by the wide range of musical preferences that are expressed on this forum (and throughout the world for that matter).

Recently... my daughter and I found ourselves in a rather "deep" discussion involving the perceived "values" that comprise (or are potentially interwoven into) various forms of composed music.

We delved into so much stuff that eventually we had to limit the discussion to only two of the many possible ways we thought of to group music. We used the many categories found on the SoundClick site... until the huge list was narrowed to just music with lyrics and those without lyrics.

We are also very aware of how difficult it is to make a "hard pick" in polls like these, but we thought (for gradeschool polling purposes) we'd be wise not to offer poll participants an option such as: "I like both", or "no preference". We are not trying to be difficult... and hope nobody is offended by the question:

Is your musical preference one for Lyrical Music, or Instrumental Music?

PS: Cracks... we already know how you'll answer this question ( :lol: :lol: ), but we'd like you to participate if you'd like!!! :wink: :wink:

It's just for fun!

8) & 8)
0 x
. .

Tonto2
Father/Daughter Team
_________________________________________________________________________________
. Homemade music made around the campfire, at the beach, or just about anywhere!
Our SoundClick Site ? Our 1st Forum Post ? Our Portable Recording Gear ? Our Favorite Keyboard Artist

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:40 pm

Not hard for me. I find instrumentals, on the whole, extremely boring. Many show outstanding musical skill but it doesn't make me want to go farther than the first 30 seconds.
0 x

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:32 pm

.....I like instrumentals.....as a whole......as well as ones with lyrics...
If I have to state a preference I guess I would have to go with with singing......but, I would rather say I lean toward them, not that they are my clear preference.......so I'm a non-voter..... :?
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

Riffmaster
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Riffmaster » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:08 am

I like instrumentals and listen to a good bit of them, but i do prefer music with lyrics.
0 x

Lee
The Force
The Force

Post by Lee » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:10 am

I’m sure the human voice was the first instrument ever used and perhaps the earlier “compositions” (wink wink) were instrumentals. Lol! Think about it…

If music is communication, soulical, passionate, sometimes illogical but always artistic communication, in that it is meant to touch/connect/affect, then words become the easiest and often the most powerful way to deliver an aural blow on this level and especially in a short time. I love Mozart, Bella Flek, and the Steve Vai’s as much as the next guy, but maybe my attention is also such that a quick lyrical fix is really what I’m after. The pop package, a short song with a predictable format, is really quite satisfying to me even after all these years and countless listens. However, there’s nothing quite like Mozart’s Requiem. Then again, it has lyrics… but I can’t understand them so to me it’s an instrumental! :lol:
0 x
"At one point, Lee made a surprisingly intelligent comment" - ferret
rock project (sc) | country stuff (sc)

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:08 am

Tonto 2 (both of you), I'd have to say that for rock and roll I think lyrics are needed on 99.9% of songs. There is the occassional instrumental that works (Edgar Winter's "Frankenstein" comes to mind), but, in general, lyrics are required to hold the three-minute pop formula together. I tend to drift off during instrumentals. But this lyrics vs non-lyrics only applies to mainly modern popular music. Classical music might be destroyed with lyrics.

This is not to say that instrumentalists on this board are not talented songwriters. I've heard some great instrumental stuff on this board. I just think that most of the songs would work better with lyrics. Even something as basic as "I, I feel free" (remember that one?) would add some meat to the bones.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Unstablxxx
The Force
The Force

Post by Unstablxxx » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:32 am

I fall on the instrumental side for two reasons:

1) I rarely care what most vocalists have to say about how miserable their lives are... :lol:

2) Doing instrumentals in a live setting requires one less ego. :twisted:

There are many excellent songs with lyrics.... poets like Dylan, Simon, Joel, Taupin just to name a few. But, for the most part, as Frank Zappa was fond of saying, "Shut up and play yer guitar!"
0 x
Mike
-
-
Rocketing towards 5000 posts without a care in the world!
-
-
My solo music | My Eljam music | My Studio Tour | Vocal Effect Demo | Kristal Tutorial

Howard
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Howard » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:31 am

Tonto2,

Being forced into a binary response, I had to choose lyrical, and I was surprised with myself.

It used to be instrumentals, but now it's vocals. This is based on more than a gut reaction:

- I play in two vocal and one instrumental groups - that's a 2 to 1 preference.

- 3/4 of my cd's are vocal not instrumental - that's a 3 to 1 preference.

- The instrumental cd's have dust on them - oops!

- I agree with Mike at not wanting to listen to someone's whining about their life gone wrong - although it's mostly a problem when I listen to country music.

- My songs sound better to me before I add the vocal tracks - nothing to do about that but take voice lessons.

So this scientific poll has caused me to re-evaluate my preferences. Thanks Tonto2.

Howard
0 x

Tonto2
The Force
The Force

Post by Tonto2 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:51 am

Hi Folks...

I'm at work right now, so I don't want to comment on any posts until a time when I can be with my daughter.
This is a "team project" so I don't want to leave her out of the process we've started here.

Very interesting comments so far! I love the range of thoughts!
Thanks for taking the time! It is appreciated... and kinda fun too!

You guys are great!:^:
0 x
. .

Tonto2
Father/Daughter Team
_________________________________________________________________________________
. Homemade music made around the campfire, at the beach, or just about anywhere!
Our SoundClick Site ? Our 1st Forum Post ? Our Portable Recording Gear ? Our Favorite Keyboard Artist

Omegaman
The Force
The Force

Post by Omegaman » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:35 pm

One look at my listening habits says it all, Red Prysock King Curtis, Sam the man Taylor, Illinois Jacquet, arnett Cobb, these men sing thru their horns. yes i love old springsteen, southside Johnny, and I love to sing as well, but I can listen over and over to an instrumental and get something new out of it each time. Listening to some psuedo angst ridden 15 year old for more than 30 seconds and I hit the switch.ZZZZZZZZZZZAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!
Last edited by Omegaman on Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:41 pm

Once again I'd swear I am the only "young" person on a forum of old "farts" :D 8)

:shock: :o :( :) :P :x <-------- see them
0 x

monty
Yoda
Yoda

Post by monty » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:16 pm

I dont mind instrumentals,but far prefer tunes with vocals.
0 x
NEW REVIEWING TERMS-
If you reviewed my last song,I'll review your next one.Sorry,no exceptions.

Cracks wrote-"The thing to remember about this board is that most people here write songs too. We are not a passive listening audience who have bought tickets to be entertained.

Soundclick name:Angel White
http://www.soundclick.com/pro/view/03/d ... tent=music

http://www.myspace.com/angelwhitemusic

M.T.Pilot
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by M.T.Pilot » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:20 pm

with vocals. It usually catches my attention better.
0 x