How do you write down your music?

Anything related to music, recording, gear, or this forum. Friendly chat welcome. NO politics or religion please, there are plenty of other forums for both topics. Anything else is fine.
Forum rules
Be nice.

How do you write down your music, most of the time?

I record. I don't write.
20%
MIDI is the only writing I do.
No votes
I write lyrics. No music.
27%
I write lyrics with chords/tabs. I can remember the melody.
47%
I write the score for the melody plus chords/tabs and lyrics.
7%
I write the score for all voices, using a quill on handmade paper.
No votes

Total votes: 15

storpotaten
Yoda
Yoda

How do you write down your music?

Post by storpotaten » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:41 am

Just curious of how others do it! Myself, I write lyrics and chords. Sometimes just the lyrics.
0 x

Riffmaster
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Riffmaster » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:14 pm

Lyrics only. Too lazy to write chords or anything else. And i usually sing it no more than 30 minutes after writing the lyrics :shock:
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:14 pm

I brought this up the other day. It's a mistake but I don't have the lyrics or chords to ANY of my songs written down, I could not go back and play almost any of them which to me is embarrassing and would be a problem if I needed them for some reason.

When I am writing a new song I usually write out the lyrics. I sometimes note down the chords but sometimes not.
0 x

Lee
The Force
The Force

Post by Lee » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:15 pm

tonyoci wrote:I brought this up the other day. It's a mistake but I don't have the lyrics or chords to ANY of my songs written down, I could not go back and play almost any of them which to me is embarrassing and would be a problem if I needed them for some reason.

When I am writing a new song I usually write out the lyrics. I sometimes note down the chords but sometimes not.
Don't feel bad Tony. I've never written down the chord changes to any song ever that I wrote (in my life... that I can recall), and I can't play the last song I recorded on command unless I think about it first and figure it out (takes about a few seconds or a minute or two tops... most would think I had it memorized because it doesn't take long). It's exactly as if I'm playing somebody else's song though. No big deal because that's how I write it in the first place: figuring it out from the song in memory. For me it's the easiest thing to treat all music the same way because that's how I learned, figuring out what I was listening to by ear.
0 x
"At one point, Lee made a surprisingly intelligent comment" - ferret
rock project (sc) | country stuff (sc)

Howard
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Howard » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:32 pm

Stor,

I do as you do. I write down the lyrics with chord names over the words where the changes happen. Sometimes, I have forgotten the melody or the timing, so when I have my act together, I also record whatever I have on a small tape recorder.

Howard
0 x

daren_woodall
dues paid
dues paid

Post by daren_woodall » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:51 pm

I sometimes write down the input levels, but that's it. ;)

Daren
0 x
PC/MBox 2 Mini/Pro Tools LE/Amplitube 2
ZOOM MRS-1608CD (discontinued as of 12/20/2006)
ZOOM MRS-8 (just purchased 5/19/2007)
http://www.darenwoodall.com
http://www.myspace.com/darenwoodall

nicka
Yoda
Yoda

Post by nicka » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:22 pm

Each time i record a song i plan to write down all the details of the recording tecnique as well as the lyrics and chords but all i have so far is a book full of lyrics as i never get around to the rest of it.

I am also like you Tony that i wouldn't know how to play my last recorded song.
0 x

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:07 pm

Sheesh, what I do isn't listed on your poll......
In the past, I wrote down chords for the songs I wrote via the piano but, after a while forgot how the song actually went...... :shock:
Now I record basic scratch tracks of my songs to remember them.....or scratch tracks of improv sessions that may later turn into songs....
The only thing I commit to paper anymore is the words/lyrics and these are written way after the fact....
Last edited by Sungodv on Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

Tonto2
The Force
The Force

Post by Tonto2 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:22 pm

I'm pretty much a blend of both Howard's and Lee's styles. My daughter seems to be taking after my way of doing things (not that it is the best way though), but as a musical partner... she is actually impacting how I do things. I write down the chord changes, because it helps us, as a team, to know exactly where to make voice/harmony changes, etc... as we create, modify, play, sing and record.
Howard wrote:.....I write down the lyrics with chord names over the words where the changes happen. Sometimes, I have forgotten the melody or the timing, so when I have my act together, I also record whatever I have on a small tape recorder. ...
Lee wrote:...I think about it first and figure it out (takes about a few seconds or a minute or two tops... most would think I had it memorized because it doesn't take long)........ figuring out what I was listening to by ear....
Now... having said that... I'm at my best (as a solo song writer) when I just pick up my 12 string... play a few chords... get into a creative mode... and just let the sounds, feelings and lyrics follow. If I'm lucky enough to have a recorder with me... I'll remember the result. Often I find that... my best creative works are lost via that process, as I tend not to have the recorder around when the inspiration strikes.

Lately... my wife and daughter have started turning on the PS-04 and just setting it nearby... to record the basic concepts and lyrics... and that is very helpful, because usually when I try to do that myself (stop and restart)... I tend to lose the whole "power-of-the-moment" kind of thing and the creative process gets thrown off-track.

:)
0 x
. .

Tonto2
Father/Daughter Team
_________________________________________________________________________________
. Homemade music made around the campfire, at the beach, or just about anywhere!
Our SoundClick Site ? Our 1st Forum Post ? Our Portable Recording Gear ? Our Favorite Keyboard Artist

monty
Yoda
Yoda

Post by monty » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:30 pm

I dont know the names of alot of the chords I use,and the reverse chord finder someone posted isnt working for me so I wont be anytime soon,so I only write down words.
0 x
NEW REVIEWING TERMS-
If you reviewed my last song,I'll review your next one.Sorry,no exceptions.

Cracks wrote-"The thing to remember about this board is that most people here write songs too. We are not a passive listening audience who have bought tickets to be entertained.

Soundclick name:Angel White
http://www.soundclick.com/pro/view/03/d ... tent=music

http://www.myspace.com/angelwhitemusic

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:34 pm

Currently I don't do sh**! I can't get a good sound out of my electric and I can't afford any new equipment at this time (toneport, etc). So I'm stuck in f**king acoustic land.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:00 am

I'm actually of mixture of them all.

On songs that use midi I'll attempt to score out what I'm doing before I start.

Sometimes if I'm out and have an idea for a melody I'll jot it down on a piece of paper. I invariably get it wrong but the shape of the notes acts a reminder to what I intended.

Sometimes I just go straight in and play it

Sometimes I write down lyrics and chords

Sometimes I just write down lyrics

The only constant factor is the lyrics. If there are lyrics they get written down otherwise there is no way I'd remember them to sing.

I have loads of notebooks and bits of paper with lyrics/chords/music and ideas e.g. "make this bit like George Formby ;) "

The music tends to get junked as soon as it's recorded as I normally change it during the recording process as I realise it's not going to work in the way I expected but the lyrics and chords litter my "studio".

Cheers

Dick
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

manzana
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by manzana » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:44 pm

don't know what to choose in the poll. I think its a mix of all.

sometimes midi is enough, sometimes i write some lyrics then the chords, sometimes i just record. but i never wrote a melody.

... and since 2006 i store each song project with every single track on DVD.
0 x

Boswelltb
member in good standing
member in good standing

Abelton live 5

Post by Boswelltb » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:40 pm

I have used almost every audio app that has ever hit the market. But i now use a couple more than any other. I now use Abelton live 5 for demos and Cubase for complete songs. I can reccomend Ableton for writing, it is so easy to get something down in no time at all. With the use of loops, onboard midi instruments and VST plugins plus your own recorded audio. The effects section is also a breeze to use its all drag and drop. it comes with loads of presets for everything.

I am running all this on a dell 3.4Gb PC with win XP pro 250Gb hard drive with 2Gb ram. I use a Soundcraft 10/2 mixer. I use an AKG C535 mic. I have selection of guitars and a Roland SPD 11 Drum Pad. I access midi with a midi controler keyboard just cheep.
0 x

Unstablxxx
The Force
The Force

Post by Unstablxxx » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:15 pm

I'm a lyrics and chords guy when I'm writing a 'Wordstrumental' (c) 2006 Tonto2...
When I'm doing an instrumental, it all comes from memory as I'm playing it.

When I was using my 802 for mixing, I kept pretty extensive notes so I could fine tune the mix/mastering. But now that I do that on my PC, it's as easy as saving multiple projects, so I don't really take notes anymore (except v-takes).
0 x
Mike
-
-
Rocketing towards 5000 posts without a care in the world!
-
-
My solo music | My Eljam music | My Studio Tour | Vocal Effect Demo | Kristal Tutorial

Tonto2
The Force
The Force

Post by Tonto2 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:55 pm

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________ :wav:
Unstablxxx wrote:I'm a lyrics and chords guy when I'm writing a 'Wordstrumental' (c) 2006 Tonto2... ......
lol... Hey Mike... You really know how to make us smile and laugh!! :shock:

:lol: & :D
0 x
. .

Tonto2
Father/Daughter Team
_________________________________________________________________________________
. Homemade music made around the campfire, at the beach, or just about anywhere!
Our SoundClick Site ? Our 1st Forum Post ? Our Portable Recording Gear ? Our Favorite Keyboard Artist

vmcghee

Post by vmcghee » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:00 am

Old habits die hard I'd say. I still jot out the chords sometimes separately from the sheet I did the lyrics on which always annoys me years later when I forget which goes with which.

Nowadays, the lyrics are done in notepad, and I sometimes add the chords there too. Maybe I'm just anal, but I tend to keep hardcopy backups too.

Now that I'm getting the hang of things, I'll be saving more "takes" in addition.
0 x