myspace vs. soundclick

Anything related to music, recording, gear, or this forum. Friendly chat welcome. NO politics or religion please, there are plenty of other forums for both topics. Anything else is fine.
Forum rules
Be nice.

What site is more beneficial for a musician's exposure?

myspace
71%
soundclick
14%
other (must be a website)?
14%

Total votes: 7

Lee
The Force
The Force

myspace vs. soundclick

Post by Lee » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:43 pm

When I say “musician” I simply mean someone who makes music. It’s not indicative of style or skill level. Also, apples and oranges in many ways... I realize.

Grant it, so soundclick is a great free site for hosting mp3s, but isn’t it (along with all its charts) really just a music sharing portal for other musicians?

MySpace totally stinks as far as the limited number of song uploads and the stream quality, BUT it is truly an environment that reaches non-musicians so that it has the potential for building a fan base. The evidence for this are the number of signed acts that actively engage their base in this manner as well as the success stories that are out there.

Is there one such story for soundclick?

SOUND OFF!!! :^:
0 x
"At one point, Lee made a surprisingly intelligent comment" - ferret
rock project (sc) | country stuff (sc)

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:19 pm

I have heard about bands using myspace to build a following (or reach an existing one). Not so with Soundclick. Soundclick is easy to use, but for networking I don't think it has much value. MySpace sucks, but it sure has a lot of people using it.

I guess it depends on what your goals are.
0 x

Lee
The Force
The Force

Post by Lee » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:21 pm

Zoetrope wrote:I have heard about bands using myspace to build a following (or reach an existing one). Not so with Soundclick. Soundclick is easy to use, but for networking I don't think it has much value. MySpace sucks, but it sure has a lot of people using it.

I guess it depends on what your goals are.
Zo, I'm halfed bummed that I didn't see an "other" vote from you for the http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs :!:

Btw, what is the 2090.org? I honestly don't understand the story behind it. Is there an FAQ I could read?
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:59 pm

Lee wrote:Btw, what is the 2090.org? I honestly don't understand the story behind it. Is there an FAQ I could read?
It's a long and boring story. My brother and I were working on a top secret project to be titled 2090, so I registered the website. Then I had to move the forum, and I already had the domain name, soooooo.

I know, it still doesn't make sense. And that was the short version. :roll:
0 x

Riffmaster
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Riffmaster » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:03 pm

Myspace does suck and stays broken half the time, but you can reach many more people IMO. If only you could combine the best of both...
0 x

Omegaman
The Force
The Force

Post by Omegaman » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:03 pm

jsut heard that Myspace is going to allow artists to sell their music, set up a shop, and, this is the cool part, your myspace friends can have your shop on their myspace site. Myspace will take a still to be determined cut of the sales, but talk about a "street team" for artrists... if anyone wants to pay.
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:23 pm

Myspace clearly the best.

What's a mystery to me is how there are currently 5 posters in this thread and only 2 votes. :D
0 x

chf
Yoda
Yoda

Post by chf » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:50 pm

Bloody hell...I can't understand why Lee is asking the question. It's like saying do you like meat or do you like vegetables? They are utterly different.

Soundclick is a free convenient place to nail your songs to a tree in the hope that some of your friends may come and listen. And there is the amusing but absurd chart system which we have all agreed is...absurd. Alternatively youhave MySpace which as far as I can gather is a free convemient place to nail your personality to a tree in the hope that some of your friends may come and interact with you.

The difference between Soundclick and MySpace is that to exist at Soundclick you must have, or think you have, an ability to create something that passes for music. At MySpace as far as I can gather, the qualification for membership is having access to a computer. This may explain wht there are something like 100 million people inolved in MySpace and why...surprise surprise...it's become something I'm sure it didn't set out to become.

That's evolution at 160gbph.

I should imagine that people who put their music on MySpace are hoping (however realistically...and in some cases it isn't a forlorn hope) that a significant audience may be built up. But I would suggest that any of us hobbyists who enjoy writing and creating music for ourselves can look at what goes on in MySpace through narrow eyes and pursed lips. I described it as "wanky" earlier on today. I stand by that if you're over 30!

I vote kill.

Chas
Last edited by chf on Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Riffmaster
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Riffmaster » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:54 pm

You still didn't vote Chas :lol:
0 x

chf
Yoda
Yoda

Post by chf » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:55 pm

...and to answer Tony's anomaly...I imagine that if you got lucky, MySpace is the better place to hawk one's wares but that doesn't mean I'm going to vote for it.

Perhaps we should forward this thread to Robin Trower and ask him why he uses MySpace only to be upstaged by a (non) DNA lab rat with a guitar :D

Chas
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:35 pm

Zoetrope wrote:I have heard about bands using myspace to build a following (or reach an existing one). Not so with Soundclick. Soundclick is easy to use, but for networking I don't think it has much value. MySpace sucks, but it sure has a lot of people using it.
I can only repeat this. Soundclick is my favorite, but that doesn't mean it's the best for exposure. Not that myspace helps with exposure either, since there are like 10,000,000,000,000,000 music sites on it.

The best thing that has helped me personally is being on neilyoung.com. I've had several plays a day of "Mary..." and several people requesting to be friends. I'm sure "Bitter Season" gets similar results. (In fact, I should have voted for "other" in the poll. :? )
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:48 pm

Chas, Consider that Lee is over 30 and developed a fan network of 15,000 friends with requests for live dates and CD's without even really trying.
0 x

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:51 pm

tonyoci wrote:.. with requests for live dates and CD's without even really trying.
Much better than dead dates.........hey Lee, can I have a CD? A blank CD-R would suffice..... :shock:
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

Omegaman
The Force
The Force

Post by Omegaman » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:53 pm

oh, I voted Myspace, because I'm not sure how many non musicians go to soundclick, therefore, there is a bigger pool at Myspace (totally unknown if true or untrue, just my off teh cuff remaek, feel free to tell me to go clip some reeds or something!) :lol:
0 x

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:54 pm

Hey, O-Man, go clip some reeds!.......... :P
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

Lee
The Force
The Force

Post by Lee » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:41 pm

chf wrote:Bloody hell...I can't understand why Lee is asking the question. It's like saying do you like meat or do you like vegetables?
Chas, myspace has band profiles for the sole reason of promoting your music to the non-band people. I see soundclick as a great repository, but it also has a huge advantage if you want to sell your music. The main reason I went to soundclick was in the hopes of selling stuff in the near future (does anyone remember those threads?), but like Bill said myspace is going that route too so I’ll probably hold off until then. Having both isn’t a bad option either as Riff already mentioned.

(Cue the exciting advertisement music) How much longer do want to wait around for your friends to come by and listen to your songs? Let’s be honest, we’re each others biggest fans and especially in the context of soundclick. There’s nothing wrong with that and it will probably always be true, but….

…don’t you want to be heard? Sure, there may be a billion band profiles out there but YOU are at the helm in myspace and can “target” specific demographics which may be deemed more appreciative to your music. In other words, you don't have to wait for friends or strangers to come by to listen to your stuff.

I knew the question would stir some folks and I’m hoping that it will result in taking the plunge in that direction. There are plenty of resources for customizing the pages and for filtering the jerks that are out there to some degree. You don’t have to become an extrovert for it to work AND you don’t actually have to interact if you don’t want to. I'd be happy to help folks once things settle down again.
0 x

Riffmaster
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Riffmaster » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:48 pm

I've actually had quite a few folks from myspace ask "do you have any more of that awesome music" and i happily give them my soundclick link. Heck i even had one girl go to the trouble of msg'ing me just to say "you suck". I was honored to delete her :lol:
0 x