"Pro?" Have you sold your music?

Anything related to music, recording, gear, or this forum. Friendly chat welcome. NO politics or religion please, there are plenty of other forums for both topics. Anything else is fine.
Forum rules
Be nice.

Have you ever sold your recorded music?

Yes
42%
No
58%

Total votes: 12

Lee
The Force
The Force

"Pro?" Have you sold your music?

Post by Lee » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:59 pm

Okay, something that I'm just really curious about. Daren mentioned something that made me wonder again: how many of us here have actually sold their music? I don't mean being paid to play a show, I mean has anyone ever bought a CD, tape, or MP3 of your music?

I know MatBio/Tomas has. I suspect Howard has sold a few by now. Who else? Who are the pros in our midst? (I use the term very loosely.) If you're really daring, do tell how much $$$$ you've made. I suspect that figure to be less than fifty bucks for most. Lol

PS
For the record, I haven't sold a single thing and partly why I want to is to say I did! :lol: Pathetic, I know.
0 x
"At one point, Lee made a surprisingly intelligent comment" - ferret
rock project (sc) | country stuff (sc)

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Re: "Pro?" Have you sold your music?

Post by voclizr » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:53 am

Lee wrote: I suspect that figure to be less than fifty bucks for most. Lol
Man, You don't have much faith in us, Do ya?
:D JB
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Vintage Organs & Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:21 am

Many of you know I played in a band called TUT for a number of years. We made 4 CDs that we financed from our gig earnings and a bank loan. We sold the CDs at gigs then later on the internet. I would guess that we sold around 2000 CDs in all and I get orders from CDABY even now.

Never made any money out of it though and I'm still suffering from the last loan I took out to complete the last CD ;)

Cheers

Dick
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

Lee
The Force
The Force

Re: "Pro?" Have you sold your music?

Post by Lee » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:45 am

voclizr wrote:
Lee wrote: I suspect that figure to be less than fifty bucks for most. Lol
Man, You don't have much faith in us, Do ya?
:D JB
Lol! I didn't mean it that way! :lol: It's "the system" I don't have faith in. It has so little to do with just having raw talent (as far as making money goes).

Hey Dick, I wasn't so much asking about profits. You most definitely qualify as having sold music for sure. Those are actually rather impressive numbers, and to still have requests... that's pretty cool. That, I would think, is something to be proud about.

The thought of someone laying down even a few bucks of their hard earned pay to hear you make sound is rather flattering I would think. Perhaps taking the time to listen for free is valuable, and it is, but to actually pay for it says much more. I suppose in the mainstream, or "the system", it means they either really like what they hear or they're easily suckered by the radio and television to buy the latest "blah" so as to feel connected to a part of the culture (past or present) they want to be identified with or wish to emulate. Ramble on…
0 x

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:58 am

Fifty dollars? I wish :)

We never even covered costs. I set up a company to handle the recording and sales. It made a loss year on year. I reckon that in the end I was probably down around £4000 (most of that accountants fees :roll: ) before I finally accepted we weren't going to suddenly have a big run on the CDs and push us into the black.

The internet has been both a boon and a curse to unsigned bands. Initially we sold quite a few but then we found our stuff appearing on free mp3 download sites in Russia and China and gradually the orders really slowed down.

There is so music out there now that it's getting more and more difficult to get it heard and I reckon the marketing men have moved in to cleverly push myspace artists and create an artificial buzz.

Talent won't always win through unfortunately and a deeply unfashionable 53 year old left wing agitprop muso won't get a look in no matter how clever he is ;)

Cheers

Dick
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

Unstablxxx
The Force
The Force

Post by Unstablxxx » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:57 am

Vic McGhee has been selling our Eljam CD at craft fairs in Phoenix... one lady even paid $35.00 for three copies... :shock: Mustn't have a lot of musical taste out there in the Wild, Wild West. :lol:
0 x
Mike
-
-
Rocketing towards 5000 posts without a care in the world!
-
-
My solo music | My Eljam music | My Studio Tour | Vocal Effect Demo | Kristal Tutorial

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:43 am

All I got was a rock. (Charlie Brown)
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

strat581
Jedi
Jedi

Post by strat581 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:13 am

My wife played in an all girl rock band. I used to write the music
and tracked all the bass parts for their CD. When they played live
the keyboardist would play the bass parts.They sold over 500 cd's via CD baby and live shows. My wife and I got the whole CD sale becuase
we funded the band. So yes I have got payed for my music. :D
Mike M
0 x

Howard
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Howard » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:26 am

Pretty much like you thought. Playing live makes me more than selling the CD's.

I know a guy here locally who does solo stuff. Promoted the heck out of himself, played everywhere, often for no pay. Made a CD, couldn't keep up with orders burning them at home, but his is a niche market. Finally, it was too much time and he quit, went back to being a clerk.

So far as I know, he only sold his CD's locally, at gigs and in stores. The promotion and playing out several times a week, plus being a in a niche market did the trick.
0 x

Riffmaster
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Riffmaster » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:24 pm

No, but i've never tried and probably wont.
0 x

Lee
The Force
The Force

Post by Lee » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:35 pm

Riffmaster wrote:No, but i've never tried and probably wont.
Too bad. I already told you that if you had an album full of "Roll the Wheels" and that Frog song, I'd buy it! Believe me when I tell you there are other people who would jump at the "Roll the Wheel" type music. It's extremely Skynyrd, and the music world still has a void for hard souther rock with cool dude-in-bar style vox.
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:42 pm

So Lee, just because people would jump at it and really like it - why does that mean it has to be sold ??? A genuine question. If you're doing it for fun then why not just give it away 8)
0 x

Lee
The Force
The Force

Post by Lee » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:06 pm

tonyoci wrote:So Lee, just because people would jump at it and really like it - why does that mean it has to be sold ??? A genuine question. If you're doing it for fun then why not just give it away 8)
Tony, it all goes back to what I said up there (I'm looking up at the first post). Time to listen is one thing, money out the pocket is another. He doesn't have to sell it, but my saying I would pay for it is a genuine compliment.

Oh no, I think I started a "if I'm not willing to pay for your music you're a looser" thread. :lol:

If one of our many members could actually break out of the 9-5 and make a living doing what brings them the most joy, I'd support them if I believed they actually could. The believing part doesn't have to do with the tons of talent here as much as a potential demographic that could be tapped. Riff might not get Rich, but I'd encourage him to put together a band and play out to see what happens (I'm assuming you're a single dude man... could be way off).

PS
One cockamamie idea I had was (and I typed it up months ago but didn't post it) that we as a forum select the *ONE person that is realistically most likely to succeed AND is willing to pursue a music career (they may have to submit their name as a candidate) that we on the site give as much help as possible in making them a name. Many of the soundclick and myspace tricks would come into play, but so also would collaborative efforts both recording and producing their stuff. Also, word of mouth (online and in person) and documentation (namely, putting together a press kit for them to put together a real band, etc).

The trouble with that idea is how many of us would do all that work and sacrifice the time needed so as to help someone else achieve what many of us wish for? I'm into the concept – big time, but I'm not sure I could dedicate that much time anyway. I like lofty ideas.

* Or at least one at a time (over months).
0 x

monty
Yoda
Yoda

Post by monty » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:25 pm

Yes,have sold music(with the band).
As Dickl said,all the cash gets funneled back into the band.
The old Canuck joke:
How does a Canadian band get a million dollars?
:tears: :hilarious:
You give them 2 mil and have them tour across Canada.
Still a blast though.
0 x
NEW REVIEWING TERMS-
If you reviewed my last song,I'll review your next one.Sorry,no exceptions.

Cracks wrote-"The thing to remember about this board is that most people here write songs too. We are not a passive listening audience who have bought tickets to be entertained.

Soundclick name:Angel White
http://www.soundclick.com/pro/view/03/d ... tent=music

http://www.myspace.com/angelwhitemusic

Riffmaster
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Riffmaster » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:39 pm

Lee, i do love the "idea" of putting together a band and playing my stuff out live. My problem is i live in a town where there aren't any bands..i am playing in a cover band now, and i don't want to sound obnoxious but these guys i'm playing with aren't very talented or original. In order to do this i would have to move, find anew job in a town where i know nobody and start over. I am single..but that's in serious jeopardy now :shock: . In other words, the stuff would have to come to me first and we know that ain't happenin, so i'll just be happy hanging on to single life by a thread and making some music when i can. Maybe i'll make you a cd and sell it to you for $1,000,000 :lol: then i can retire.
0 x

Richie aoa
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Richie aoa » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:39 am

My (on hiatus) band The Capones had a couple of demo cd's which we muct have sold a hundred or so of in the end. I think I've sold 22 of the demo CD I just put together (the one that was supposed to be free, but then I spent £80 on a printer to do the cover and £more on the cd's etcetera) for £1 each.
The Capones were supposed to have a split EP out on a tiny label here in the UK of which 200 faulty copies were printed. The label then decided they couldn't afford to re-print; I've no idea if any copies were sold and kept: I know a few were sold and then retrurned!
Hopefully my album will sell a few copies at gigs when I finally finish the artwork. So have I made any money? No. I think the band officially still have a hundred quid or so in our bank account though from live gigs and t shirt sales.
0 x

Jeffster
The Force
The Force

Post by Jeffster » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:37 pm

Someone reminded me a while ago that the term "starving artist" has a lot of validity to it.
0 x
The more things change, the more they stay the same.