Black Diamond Strings - Focusrite Saffire/Mac Mini/Logic Pro - Guy Clark cover

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
still_fiddlin
member in good standing
member in good standing

Black Diamond Strings - Focusrite Saffire/Mac Mini/Logic Pro - Guy Clark cover

Post by still_fiddlin » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:45 pm

This one didn't involve any Zoom equipment but it's truly a home recording, done in my little music room. Scratch tracks (guitar+vocal) started things, then over the course of about a month the other musicians came over and added their tracks. I redid my vocal and doubled the guitar yesterday. This song is from the late, great Guy Clark, and I shamelessly copied the arrangement pretty much straight from the YouTube video of him & Emmylou Harris.

Black Diamond Strings (SoundCloud link)
0 x

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Black Diamond Strings - Focusrite Saffire/Mac Mini/Logic Pro - Guy Clark cover

Post by Lungfruit » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:04 pm

Keith,
I enjoyed this tonight as I was having a beer and tinkering around in my studio. It sounds good on my speakers, but in headphones the vocals (both you and Marie) sound a little boomy. Maybe that's just the difference in acoustics. I wish the mandolin was a bit higher in the mix. I don't know the song, but I enjoyed listening to your version! Glenn
1 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

still_fiddlin
member in good standing
member in good standing

Re: Black Diamond Strings - Focusrite Saffire/Mac Mini/Logic Pro - Guy Clark cover

Post by still_fiddlin » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:02 am

Thanks for the listen. I'm going to go back and do a little tweaking tonight or tomorrow, probably tackle the vocal tracks a little, but more in the "mastering" EQ. The mandolin I can go see if there's more there that I can bring up in a few places. (He is literally learning - the first 2 takes he was playing in the wrong key ;))
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:38 am

Wonderful recording. So smooth. All of the instruments and vocals sound perfectly mixed. I've never heard the song before but I've heard of Guy Clark, that's for sure.
1 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:13 am

I don't know the song so I won't be making a comparison.

It sounds like it was recorded live which gives it a nice ambience.

Cheers

Dick
1 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

still_fiddlin
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by still_fiddlin » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:51 am

dickl wrote: ↑
Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:13 am
I don't know the song so I won't be making a comparison.

It sounds like it was recorded live which gives it a nice ambience.
Well, the performers were (and still are, today at least!) alive, so... :D But, yes, I tend toward that "back porch" sound because that's more or less what it is, even if we didn't record it that way!
1 x

greenA2
dues paid
dues paid

Post by greenA2 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:12 am

Very nice sound and playing, well done everyone!
0 x
Zoom A2, H5, YouRock Guitar