This Empire's State - orig Logic X

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
dickl
The Force
The Force

This Empire's State - orig Logic X

Post by dickl » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:58 am

My apologies to anyone who tries to listen as Soundclick has deleted my page for Brexit songs :evil: because of some previously unknown policy about 1 artist 1 page. It allowed me to set the page up 6 months ago then sent me a message yesterday morning saying I had to move the songs then deleted them anyway. I have sent some stiff emails!

Now posted on Soundcloud!!

One thing about this Brexit nonsense is that it's given me a few new songs.

There’s a nasty undercurrent of racism and intolerance that’s been released by this damn vote.

A while back I saw a video of a right-wing thug abusing a group of peaceful protesters. The level of hate and vitriol in his voice was frightening. What are they so scared of?

He was sweating profusely and I had an image of his tattoo of The Queen looking like she was crying.

A bit more raw than usual.

Music and lyrics by me and Richard.

Guitars : Richard and me
Drums: Anders (a drummer in Logic – the first time I’ve tried using one)
Everything else : me

This Empire's State© 2017 Langford/Marris

He's angry when he wakes up and goes to bed the same 
Doesn't want to understand, just wants someone to blame
Doesn't like to think too much and believes just what he's told
It's easier that way he's found to buy whatever's sold

Sweat drips down his tattooed queen is crying
Intimidation, he's not even even trying
Learned to hate at his father's knee
Only one way he was ever going to be

He's heavy with the weight of expectation
Of twisted hopes from previous generations
Who thought that they were going to save our nation
But from who?

It's quite a trek to Tipperary and he doesn't know the way
But just a short step to the Old Kent Road, that's where he wants to stay
Let's all do the Lambeth Walk, it's what made our Empire great 
Let's not look too closely at this Empire's state

He's used by the rich to blame it on the poor
He knows what he's against but what's he in it for?
Learned to hate at his father's knee
Only one way he was ever going to be
Last edited by dickl on Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: This Empire's State - orig Logic X

Post by Lungfruit » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:56 pm

Dick~
I really dig the groove. The melody and your voice brings to mind The Kinks! I like the mix. The bass line sticks with me. I don't know all the references in the song - but I enjoyed it. You got a winner here! Glenn
0 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:15 pm

Thanks Glenn :) Ray Davies is one of my favourite writers so that'll do me.

References are allusions to songs from when the British Empire was at it's peak and where some of those who voted to leave the EU would like to take us back to.

It's a Long Way to Tipperary was a famous WW1 song that the troops would cheerfully sing as they marched to the slaughter.

The Lambeth Walk was from the 30s and when I went to find a version of it I found this from 1940

Thanks for the listen and comments Glenn, much appreciated :)

Cheers

Dick
1 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:09 pm

I love the mix on this one Dick. At first blush I thought the guitars where too low but I was soon struck by the expertise of it. I love the guitars being pushed back in the mix like that. It had a very 60s feel (Kinks, etc.).

I agree, great melody and vocals. I like the story the lyrics tell too.

I don't know about the drum program but they were fine.

Good job to Richard too.

I like it.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:37 am

Thanks Sean.

Do you remember the days when we had to respond to half a dozen people at once ? ;)

I have to say I struggled a bit setting the guitars right. There were no nonsense up front and trying to get them balanced took a while.

The story, as with many of my songs these days, is depressing and sadly seems to be becoming universal.

I appreciate the listen and comments.

Cheers

Dick
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:20 pm

dickl wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:37 am
Thanks Sean.

Do you remember the days when we had to respond to half a dozen people at once ? ;)
:( I do remember.

Your struggle was worth it. The guitars are well done.
1 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:32 pm

Don't want to get too political in my comment. Another great song by you and your co writer. It is a bit more "raw" than your usual, but you do it well. So much tremendous talent in your songs, Dick.

:D
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Sonar X3 Studio, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings & Vintage Organs, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Jim_Fogle
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Jim_Fogle » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:23 pm

Thanks for sharing the song. It made me think and that is what good songs do. I liked your arrangement and production. The guitars sound NICE!
0 x
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
2017 Band-in-a-Box, Music Creator 6, Audacity, Chord Pulse
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB HD
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums

Wolfini
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Wolfini » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:03 pm

Hey Dick!

Sorry, I am a little late... ;-)

This has your trademark great production, vocals and lyrics, but in a more restrained style. Or should I say resigned?

Not sure that I am ready to release those people from their responsibility of their actions, but the line about being used is very fitting for sure.

I see that you have recorded or are recording a whole Europe album, that is a great idea for a project. :)

Bye Wolfi
0 x

elmerlang

Post by elmerlang » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:23 pm

Nice sound to instruments. Drum sound has edge. The Chorus kinda drills in to you, excellent. Very BEatles on the go-out. I liked.
0 x

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:51 am

Thanks chaps. Nice to see a few faces back :)

John: thanks. Yes it was a little raw. I thought it needed to be "in yer face" given the subject matter.

Jim: if it made you think then that's great. Thanks for the listen and comment

Wolf: resigned and a bit worn out by the whole process. I'm not prepared to absolve them from their actions either but no one is born racist. It has to be learned and unfortunately that's what happens. It's a sad state we're all in these days but it's always been the same just a little less in the open. The Songs for Europe project is progressing and I have at least 2 more songs I'm working on. Thanks for your thoughts.

Elmer: thanks for stopping by and taking the time to listen and comment.

Cheers

Dick
0 x

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:45 am

I tried to listen but you're under review by SoundClick, Can't say that's ever happened to me! And I do have two accounts/pages on SC.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
Les Paul Studio, ES 135, Guild G37, Wechter Pathmaker, Fender GN-45SCE Classical, YouRockGuitar, Fender Jazz Bass, Ovation Celebrity, Oscar Schmidt OU6LCE Ukulele, Gibson F4 Mandolin, Yamaha PSR-225GM, Line 6 UX2 & FX100, DOD FET preamp, MC10O Condensor Mic, Dynamic Unidirectional Mic, MRS-8, Samplitude, REAPER, Mixcraft, EZ Drummer/Mix, Steven Slate Drums, POD Farm, Guitar Rig, FENDER Deluxe Silverface, Roland CUBE-60, Jazz Real Books by Sher Music
PC=quad core I5,7200 1TB SATA HD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Graphics card, RAIDMAX|HELIOS Tower, 8GB RAM, 1TB ExtHD
Soundclick Soundcloud Reverbnation YouTube

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:23 pm

Yes, you've seen my post on the main board :evil: I will repost a new link when I can.

Soundclick still haven't got back to me.......

Soundcloud link This Empire's State
1 x