Mr Magic/Cover/UX2/My Hero

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
surfercook
The Force
The Force

Mr Magic/Cover/UX2/My Hero

Post by surfercook » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:36 am

Grover Washington,Jr. is a standard name in any smooth jazz catalogue. He was one of my first heroes back in the 70s. His untimely death in the early 90s was a low blow to the world. I was lucky enough to have seen him live once in the late 80s in Philadelphia. He performed Mr Magic for like 10 mins. They jammed! And then this past summer I attended a tribute concert in Phil w/his old band members in a reunion. It was a full house of smooth jazz artists. I felt so fortunate and even became a bit emotional for a moment it was so beautiful. So I learned Mr Magic quite slowly. It eluded me for some time and I finally put the melody in some sort of organized flow. The turnaround is not quite w/me on this first take which took me about 6 hrs to piece together. Will try to tighten up l8r hopefully w/another take. :guitar: :drum: :type:
Guitar- ES 135 + Gtr Rig5
Bass- Fender Jazz + Gtr Rig5
Keys- FM8 Electric Piano w/YouRockGtr
Drums- EZ Funk Kit and grooves
UX2 into REAPER
Thank you ZOOMERS who still hang!
Mr Magic
Last edited by surfercook on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Les Paul Studio, ES 135, Guild G37, Wechter Pathmaker, Fender GN-45SCE Classical, YouRockGuitar, Fender Jazz Bass, Ovation Celebrity, Oscar Schmidt OU6LCE Ukulele, Gibson F4 Mandolin, Yamaha PSR-225GM, Line 6 UX2 & FX100, DOD FET preamp, MC10O Condensor Mic, Dynamic Unidirectional Mic, MRS-8, Samplitude, REAPER, Mixcraft, EZ Drummer/Mix, Steven Slate Drums, POD Farm, Guitar Rig, FENDER Deluxe Silverface, Roland CUBE-60, Jazz Real Books by Sher Music
PC=quad core I5,7200 1TB SATA HD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Graphics card, RAIDMAX|HELIOS Tower, 8GB RAM, 1TB ExtHD
Soundclick Soundcloud Reverbnation YouTube

Omegaman
The Force
The Force

Re: Mr Magic/Cover/UX2/My Hero

Post by Omegaman » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:13 pm

One of my faves.... I got to see him once at Club Bene in Sayreville.
1 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:25 pm

Nice and smooth just as advertised. Good recording too. I don't know the original so I have nothing to compare this to. But I know when something sounds good. :music:
1 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:36 pm

Grover was a hero of mine too. I especially loved "Next Exit" (album & song). I never had the privilege of seeing him live but saw him on concerts on PBS and videos of the Playboy Jazz Fest. He definitely died too young and always will be missed. :(

Your version of Mr Magic is well played but it sounds like you could use the benefit of some quantization as the rhythms are all over the place. But having said that, you're probably no worse than I would be in that department if I didn't use the quantization feature. ;)

:^:
1 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Sonar X3 Studio, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings & Vintage Organs, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Omegaman
The Force
The Force

Post by Omegaman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:17 am

I do this in my solo show, I have been planning on recording, so guess I will get on that. ;) Life has gotten in the way recently (and death) so I haven't had much time with the horn, but that is changing.
1 x

elmerlang

Post by elmerlang » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:48 pm

O very nice and very happy to hear. Good stuff. Ahhhhhh, the black soul—what a great boon for the world!
1 x