The Band WerePlaying Ukuleles : Logic X

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
dickl
The Force
The Force

The Band WerePlaying Ukuleles : Logic X

Post by dickl » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:10 am

Our glorious Prime Minister recently announced plans for, what has been dubbed, a Brexit Festival.

I was quite pleased as some while ago I started writing a song about promises made and the likely reality.

Lyrics: me and Richard Marris (and our virtual band The Phobias)

Music: me - various guitars and a ukulele (of course)

Lyrics are on the band camp site

Starts quiet and gets messy.

The Band Were Playing Ukuleles © Langford/Marris 2018
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

Beatnick
been here a while
been here a while

Re: The Band WerePlaying Ukuleles : Logic X

Post by Beatnick » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:58 am

I love the way this songs builds up throughout the song. Very good.
0 x
Beatnick's personal YouTube channel

Beatnick's Odyssey can be found on
CDBaby YouTube Spotify Amazon Apple Music Google SoundCloud
Feel free to search your favorite streaming site if it's not listed. I do not know all the ones I was put on.

Zoom equipment I currently own
G3n, G3, R8, PS-04, 508, 505 II

It's only music, don't take it so seriously

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:14 pm

Outstanding! :metal:

Very cleaver lyrics, tying the Brexit problems into a crappy party. A+ work on that throughout. And I absolutely loved that you ended with the quote from Johnny Rotten (who, by the way, said those words in San Francisco after a tour which went much like the party in your song).

The music was superb. I love that opening slide guitar. The uke is well played too. Great drums. The horns are not only nicely done but sound real. And the way it builds up through the song is very good. The entire song is well arranged. Good vocals too.

The best part is not only how it all mixes together but how clear it is. A very professional sounded recording, Dick. A top notch job. I'm very impressed. You still have the magic touch.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:16 am

Nick: Thanks, much appreciated :)

Sean: High praise :) Thanks. We thought about including another politician's promises to make everything great again but decide it might get too complicated. I haven't played the use for some while so it was good to get it out again. The song didn't work out how I thought it might but in the end I think it was OK.

I'm pleased you got the Johnny Rotten reference ;)

The horns are some new instruments Logic introduced on the last release and I was really pleased about they sounded.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Dick
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Lungfruit » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:49 pm

Interesting lyrics Dick. I liked the slow build up as well. The tune kind of rambles along and then the guitars kick in! Nice! Glenn
0 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:57 am

Thanks for the listen and comments Glenn :) The first version was even more rambling ;)
0 x

Beatnick
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Beatnick » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:40 am

I agree with lungfruit, I was enjoying the song at the beginning, but it was when the guitar kicked in that I was really hooked.
0 x
Beatnick's personal YouTube channel

Beatnick's Odyssey can be found on
CDBaby YouTube Spotify Amazon Apple Music Google SoundCloud
Feel free to search your favorite streaming site if it's not listed. I do not know all the ones I was put on.

Zoom equipment I currently own
G3n, G3, R8, PS-04, 508, 505 II

It's only music, don't take it so seriously

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Jim_Fogle » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:57 am

I'm learning to not make assumptions on what I will hear before I listen to one of your songs. Each one is VERY different from the other. The mixing is professional sounding. The instruments sound good. The vocal is perfect for this song. But I'm most impressed by the arrangement. How weird, how strange but it matches the song and is oh so catchy. My imagination doesn't ever go in the directions your songs flow but it was bobbing throughout the song.

Over on this side of the pond I'm starting to get the feeling your negotiators are feeling wind gusts at their back while peering over the edge of a cliff. The two sides aren't able to see a middle, let alone meet in the middle.
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:13 am

Thanks Nick! The guitar was a late addition so I'm pleased it worked.

Thanks Jim. TBH I never know how a song will turn out. What I hear in my head never seems to end up like that "on the page".

In terms of the changes I have to thank Paul Simon! Many years ago I heard an interview where he talked about how he wrote songs. He said he tried to make each verse different. He said he might change the rhyming structure or the cadence or the arrangement etc. It was something I'd not really thought too much about but started to apply it to my own songs where I could. It's not always a success but it makes me think and hopefully also gives the listener something a little different. This song was particularly extreme though!

I think your analysis of what's happening is pretty near the truth. No-one knows what's going to happen. Watch this space.

Thanks for the listen and comments Jim :)
1 x

mcdaggett
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by mcdaggett » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:43 am

Awesome. Love the song, hate Baileys. Now, that wasn't very constructive, I guess. So much going on, I especially like those synth sounds starting at 02:55 and really coming into focus a little bit later. I have a good friend in Birmingham waiting in agony how it'll all turn out...
0 x

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:42 am

Thanks. I hate Bailey's as well. My parents would bring out the bottle every Christmas. One person would try it and say "never again". I swear that bottle lasted 40 years.

Thanks for the listen and comments. It was fun putting it all together. I had no idea when I started what it was going to end up like.

A lot of us are worried about the future but not a lot we can do. Write protest songs and march on the streets but although it might make us feel a little bit better I'm not sure it will achieve very much. We'll see.

Cheers

Dick
0 x