My Bonnie org/Trad/Big Baby Taylor guitar/SP1 mic/Cl1 interface/Mixcraft 5

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
The Cracks
The Force
The Force

My Bonnie org/Trad/Big Baby Taylor guitar/SP1 mic/Cl1 interface/Mixcraft 5

Post by The Cracks » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:56 pm

This is another song from the vault. I've been circling this guitar track for a few weeks wanting to do something with it but a little afraid I might ruin it with crappy lyrics. I recorded the music track maybe a year ago and never did anything with it but I knew it created a pretty atmosphere. It struck today that the words "Bonnie lies o're the ocean..." would fit. So I wrote the lyrics up and recorded them this afternoon.

This is one guitar track supped up a little with some reverb and compression. I then added a main vocal track and three background (mostly humming) tracks. They are very low in the mix for the most part. And none of them have any Fx on them (no reverb, compression, etc.). Jim said I should do a song without any Fx on my vocals so I thought this one might has well be that experiment. I'm rather pleased with the recording.

The "My Bonnie" is from an old song but I figured Dylan and many others used old folk songs and incorporated them into modern works, so I could too.

I used a Big Baby Taylor acoustic guitar into Mixcraft 5, via an SP1 mic, through the Cl1 interface. Vocals were recorded into Mixcraft 5, via an SP1 mic, through the Cl1 interface. Everything mixed in Mixcraft 5.

Thanks for any listens and comments.

My Bonnie
Last edited by The Cracks on Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Re: My Bonnie org/Big Baby Taylor guitar/SP1 mic/Cl1 interface/Mixcraft 5

Post by Jim_Fogle » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:59 pm

That's a pretty unique version of "My Bonnie Lies Over The Ocean". The guitar track, sparse arrangement and your vocal delivery makes the song sound much more folksy than it otherwise would sound. I wish I had your musical sense to arrange as good as you.

I think the less effects you place on your vocal, the better your vocal sounds. In my opinion your style of singing lends itself to having a natural sound.

The humming background tracks are a good arrangement choice. I would lower their volume level some while you're singing because there are some frequency clashes between the vocal and background vocals. If you want to keep their relative volume level throughout the song another choice would be to thin the frequency range of the hum tracks by filtering out much of the lower frequencies as it sounds like most of the clashing is in the lower frequencies.
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:44 pm

It's an interesting take on on the song and the verses you've added (and the ones left out) work really well.

You've made a rather downbeat version which is very effective.

I'm not sure about the guitar as it feels a little hesitant and I think this might work with a piano.

Cheers

Dick
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:44 pm

Thanks for listen and comments Jim and Dick. I appreciate it.

Jim, yes, I think I could lower some of the humming. I'm not sure when I can do it but maybe one day... :rock:

Dick, yes, I tighten up when recording myself playing guitar. I am really smooth when I am practicing. :guitar:
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Lungfruit » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:49 pm

Sean,
It's a sweet piece of music. I like covers this way - a reinterpetation. The richness of your voice sits nicely on top of the melody. In my headphones I do hear some hiss, especially in the beginning. I can't tell if it's the guitar mic or something else. It's a minor thing.

Glenn
0 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Re: My Bonnie org/Trad/Big Baby Taylor guitar/SP1 mic/Cl1 interface/Mixcraft 5

Post by The Cracks » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:04 pm

Thanks for listen and comments Glenn. I appreciate it.

I think the hiss may be the humming issue on the low end that Jim talked about, or, it could be poor equipment. It also could be I-95. I remember a while back, Sungodv said he could hear a hiss (or words similar to that) in the background of my recordings. I couldn't hear it myself and I couldn't figure out what he heard. It dawned on me one night while lying in bed while listening to the hiss of I-95 that that's what Sungodv must have heard in my recordings. I live very close to the busiest highway in America and I'm so used to hearing it that I can't even hear it anymore. :music:
1 x
My albums

My songs

My website

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Re: My Bonnie org/Trad/Big Baby Taylor guitar/SP1 mic/Cl1 interface/Mixcraft 5

Post by The Cracks » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:23 am

Yes, I agree. Thanks. :clap:
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website