Lonely Moon................MRS8/Orig/Desire and Despair

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks

Should I Scrap this song?

No, ya nut, it is fine- keep it....
86%
Yeah, ya nut, this bites... toss herto the curb....
No votes
another option not listed and explained in my post, ya nut....
14%

Total votes: 7

maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by maceman » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:41 am

Guys,

I really appreciate all the feedback!!! Truly.

I can see exactly which comments are repetitive for emphasis, which is what i wanted to find out. If i could summarize:

1. Fix the mix, add low end and lower the middle.

2. Maybe redo the acoustics where they go off here and there

3. Add something in the thinner parts

4. Package her up to go!!!

Ok, check! I am giving this a whirl ovewr the next couple of days. Glad noone said redo the vocals- phweeew. That is the hard part :lol:

maceman
0 x

Tonto2
The Force
The Force

Post by Tonto2 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:59 am

Matt...
Just my goofy way of making a suggestion:

Maybe do a minor repair on the front door (or add a new one... like
some kind of little intro) so the entry doorway is free-n-clear... then as
far as I'm concerned... it's a keeper!
A very good... keeper too! :^:
0 x
. .

Tonto2
Father/Daughter Team
_________________________________________________________________________________
. Homemade music made around the campfire, at the beach, or just about anywhere!
Our SoundClick Site ? Our 1st Forum Post ? Our Portable Recording Gear ? Our Favorite Keyboard Artist

Unstablxxx
The Force
The Force

Post by Unstablxxx » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:39 pm

Cool song, Mace... I like the acoustic a lot. Very well played and recorded. Your vox sounds suspiciously like Sunny V on this one... maybe it's your shared Beatles influences.

I like the funky guitar thing going on on the left side.

Nice job. I like the meloncholy ending as well.
0 x
Mike
-
-
Rocketing towards 5000 posts without a care in the world!
-
-
My solo music | My Eljam music | My Studio Tour | Vocal Effect Demo | Kristal Tutorial

Roy-Al
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Roy-Al » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:04 pm

Why were you thinking of scrapping this again? I love this mellow kind of thing you put forth in this song. Don't touch it. For the techy stuff, yeah, what they said. Very good!
0 x
Roy-Al

famico
Jedi
Jedi

Post by famico » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:13 pm

nice close recording this mace. how could you ever think about scrapping anything? i really liked the backing vox and the chord prog was particularly good.

liked it alot man, leave that dustbin empty this time eh?
0 x
be cheerful, strive to be happy.
famico

Betty sings about starlight and champagne. I sing about dead rabbits and blow jobs. When I say music is violence, she says it's love; when I say it's math, she says it's tap dancing. -Kristin Hersh

http://www.myspace.com/trevorsbargainbasement
http://www.soundclick.com/jungchoi
http://www.soundclick.com/thequietblackcat
http://trevorsbargainbasement.bandcamp.com

maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by maceman » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:52 pm

hey guys, thanx again for your comments.. I appreciate it and am thankful that you dug the tune...

I am going to honestly take all the feedback into consideration. Haven't done much last 2 days- we got a major heatwave that came through, and well, with all the storms, and heat, who can record :lol:
Will do it soon though and fix this puppy up!!!

maceman

ps... @Mike "Your vox sounds suspiciously like Sunny V"

Yeah, he keeps copying me :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x

monty
Yoda
Yoda

Post by monty » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:30 pm

Shoot,I should have read the thread first becaused I see Sun found it already,would have saved me the search.
I almost called you out for stealing this song,because I knew it well,just couldnt remember who the poster was-ends up it was you.
Take is as a compliment,I listened to this a ton when you first put it up.
My review from then stands :lol:
0 x
NEW REVIEWING TERMS-
If you reviewed my last song,I'll review your next one.Sorry,no exceptions.

Cracks wrote-"The thing to remember about this board is that most people here write songs too. We are not a passive listening audience who have bought tickets to be entertained.

Soundclick name:Angel White
http://www.soundclick.com/pro/view/03/d ... tent=music

http://www.myspace.com/angelwhitemusic

maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by maceman » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:35 pm

monty wrote:Shoot,I should have read the thread first becaused I see Sun found it already,would have saved me the search.
I almost called you out for stealing this song,because I knew it well,just couldnt remember who the poster was-ends up it was you.
Take is as a compliment,I listened to this a ton when you first put it up.
My review from then stands :lol:
Het Monty,

That is too funny man... Yeah, that is a compliment that you almost called me out on it.... Thanx for the post- made me laugh!
0 x

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:48 pm

Jimmy Ryce is right. DON'T scrap it!! I personally don't believe in scrapping something you put so much time and creative energy into. There are always ways you can improve on something like this!!

I don't think it's bad at all just as it is. I like the retro quality on the vocals, and the harmony is beautiful! This reminds me so much of The Byrds from the 60s. "Mr. Tambourine Man" comes immediately to mind!

Great work, Mace. One of your best yet!!

John B.
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Vintage Organs & Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by maceman » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:24 am

Hey,

Thanx JB. Much appreciated!

It was really the first version I was thinking of scrapping (until Steve and others said they liked it better)... and by scrapping, I really meant to say 'doesn't make the album cut'. I have 13 songs on the album now(with this one included) and I was prepared to keep it at an even 12 if needed, but this has grown on me... so I guess I can shoot for lucky 13 afterall!!

Thanx again everyone for listening and commenting.

maceman
0 x

MatBio
Yoda
Yoda

Post by MatBio » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:55 am

Very nice. I dind't like chorus (or flange) guitar effect. The song is good, no question about it. The vocal work is very good. The bass is a bit hot in the mix and it stumbles with the tempo. Not entirely sure I like the mix approach.

I would have done wide and in your face acoustic rhythm guitar (no chorus FX). The vocals are fine. The drums are too far back, they hardly establish a solid foundation. Careful with some of the lead work, when bending notes, they have to reach, if not it sounds pretty bad, I know bending acoustic strings is hard, but possible.
0 x
Tomas/Blues Tom/Matbio
MySpace

maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by maceman » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:17 pm

thanx tomas... i know exactly what you are saying- I had some issues with the same things you have pointed out and hopefully can get a better remix.....

About the string bending...tell me about it- that is one thing i desperately despise about my guitar setup. I have tried different string guages to try to get more of an electric bendable feel, but then i have action issues and buzzing.... I have tried other acoustics that bend great and easy to hit notes, but for some reason, this taylor guitar makes my fingers bleed!!!
I need a solution!!!

maceman
0 x

MatBio
Yoda
Yoda

Post by MatBio » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:25 pm

Just do fast legato notes. leave bends for half or less than half a note bend (the kind that is used for quick transitions to a note)
0 x
Tomas/Blues Tom/Matbio
MySpace

ferret
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by ferret » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:59 pm

TAIL (Typing As I Look) - great images on your page. They are becoming the equivalent of album covers, these little squares of pixels. I think they are important, because they convey something visual about the emotional content or the message of the song.
TAIL (...listen)
Wow. This is several levels higher than I expected, but I have not listened to your music for a while. Fantastic vocals and harmonies - kind of Paul Simon. Great lyrics:
Still the Moon, it laughs at me
And the Sun, it yells defeat.

5-star lyrics.
Great instruments, lovely bass and guitar; great structure and arrangement. Wonderful sound, too. And a nice ending.
Amazing how the standard of work on this site is getting so much higher. And I just KNOW we'll still be saying the same thing in a year's time.
Best,
Ferret
0 x
I am not mad. Just differently sane.

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:02 am

Everything sounds good to me except too much high end. (Too much distracting "tssssing tsssing" kind of sounds.) I'd boost the mid range and roll off the highs. Otherwise a nice job.
0 x

maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by maceman » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:25 am

Ferret and Zoe,

Thanx for the comments!!! I agree with the highend comment and thanx for that... every observation is always taken into account!

I agree that this site has done wonders to raise the bar for us all, and I have enjoyed the journey immensely- waych out for the next song coming soon, mostly likely to the hmhs first as i promised tony the next song would go there... but i am so excited to share it, i can't wait!!!!

cheers,

maceman
0 x