Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd) cover - MRS-8

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
Jimmyosram
new to this board
new to this board

Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd) cover - MRS-8

Post by Jimmyosram » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:40 pm

Hello people

I've mustered up the courage to post my efforts for you all to rip into. As the title says its a cover of Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd. I'm doing all covers at the moment so I can fully understand how to use the MRS-8 properly.

I'll get to posting the link in a mo, but first I thought I would share my experience with you. This is my 4th recording to date, and for the first time I used the card manager and Audacity, rather than do it all on the MRS-8. How fab are they?? "Well sweet" as my son would say.

Ok, be gentle or it'll go on eBay .... 8-)

http://www.toon-army.com/wish%20you%20were%20here.mp3

Cheers

Paul

PS: Off to review the other posts on here as instructed.
0 x

minerman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Re: Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd) cover - MRS-8

Post by minerman » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:58 pm

Good job on this, although you've picked a very hard band to cover, it sounds pretty good. Keep at it!!!
0 x

Gu Djin
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Gu Djin » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:03 pm

Nice effort. Good toy the MRS8 isn't it.

Sounds as though you're an acomplished player and if you're looking for recording help, you're in the right place as there are plenty of people who can advise and be generally helpful. And they're not all old grouches like me.

Regards Leigh
0 x
1964 Guild Starfire 5, MiM Fender Telecaster, MiM Stratocaster, K Yairi and other various acoustic guitars and music making boxes - including mandolin, bouzouki and 5 string banjo, uke and Dean acoustic bass - And M-Audio Keyboards - DAW LogicPro X

chf
Yoda
Yoda

Post by chf » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:16 pm

I'm going to rip right in and say how much I liked it.

I don't know what is more important to you, the performance or the recording. I'm going to put my money on it being an dead heat but, or should I say and, because this is your 4th attempt, only, you are playing catch-up on the technical stuff.

Well, let me give you some good news. One is more or less stuck with one's talent but the technical side of things is a veritable cliff face and the only way is up.

I can guarantee that within 6 months you will be amazing yourself with what you can do and we will be all the richer for it.

So, how did you get that transistor radio effect? :D

Listen to some of the other MRS produced songs and compare the width, the space, the depth and the richness. All of the texture you want can be achieved.

Guitar good. Vocals, really good. I envy you that voice.

If you ever get to use VSTs, there's a killer free VST called Crazy Diamonds. Right up your street, I should imagine.

Nice one

Chas
0 x

Jimmyosram
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Jimmyosram » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:42 pm

Thank you all for your prompt replies.

I know I have soooo far to go with the deapth clarity etc. of my recordings - its something I'm going to work hard on and I'm so pleased I found this site. Seems as if there are a ton of quality brains to tap into - fantasic.

A bit about the instruments used for this recording might be of interest.

Starting with the guitar - well the struming and the body of the song is created with my trusty Simon and Patrick 6 string. One track through it's electro acoustic gubbins, and a second using a mic - then blended together.
The solo's, both acoustic and electric are performed on my keyboard - a Yamaha ES90 S
Other sounds, such as the horn bit are also from this keyboard.
Drums are for now going to be, and are, from my Yamaha PSR 3000 - that is until I work out how the MRS-8 drum doo-dah works.
The vocals are put through the "Duet 2" effect built into the MRS-8 - although I wish it had a simple reverb - which I can't seem to find on it.

Again, thanks for the comments and I look forward to driving you mad with many asinine questions in the near future.

Paul
0 x

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:04 pm

Jimmyosram
Let me welcome you to ZOOMLAND. I'm pretty new here but have been made to feel more than welcome. It's a great place to let others interested in home recording hear and critique your music.
You sound awesome. Very good recording. Sounds perf. Good overall balance/tone/mixing. As far as reverb. I usuall go in dry and add reverb via VSTs. There's like a million freebies available and if a newbie like me(new at PC mixdown using DAWs) can do it-anyone can. I see you are using Audacity. Check out KAE(Kristal Audio Engine). It's a freeware mixing board and is really easy to use. I recently upgraded from a PS-02 to an MRS-8 and what a dif! Way more versatile. I had the 02 for almost 10yrs and man was it outdated! Still useful but not nearly as efficient. I am a huge Floyd fan and was soooo relieved to hear someone else doing covers. That's like all I do. I'm really into jazz and as you may or may not know- Jazz musicians STEAL! Now that doesn't mean you should check your wallet. Just check to see if any jazz plyers have done any of your material.
0 x
Les Paul Studio, ES 135, Guild G37, Wechter Pathmaker, Fender GN-45SCE Classical, YouRockGuitar, Fender Jazz Bass, Ovation Celebrity, Oscar Schmidt OU6LCE Ukulele, Gibson F4 Mandolin, Yamaha PSR-225GM, Line 6 UX2 & FX100, DOD FET preamp, MC10O Condensor Mic, Dynamic Unidirectional Mic, MRS-8, Samplitude, REAPER, Mixcraft, EZ Drummer/Mix, Steven Slate Drums, POD Farm, Guitar Rig, FENDER Deluxe Silverface, Roland CUBE-60, Jazz Real Books by Sher Music
Soundclick Soundcloud Reverbnation YouTube

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:08 am

Welcome to the board :)

I'm not a great fan of covers but you've done a good job.

Vocals are excellent and my only nit on the recording is that the first "solo" is a touch too loud and needs to be taken down a bit.

Other than that, this isn't at all bad .. Nice one :)

Cheers

Dick
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

nicka
Yoda
Yoda

Post by nicka » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:32 am

I really enjoyed this, one of my fav songs and i also recorded a cover of this when i first got my PS04 and my performance was no where near the quality of playing and closeness to the original that u could achieve.

Good Work
0 x

stvincnt
been here a while
been here a while

Post by stvincnt » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:49 am

Jimmyosram wrote:Hello people

I've mustered up the courage to post my efforts for you all to rip into. As the title says its a cover of Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd. I'm doing all covers at the moment so I can fully understand how to use the MRS-8 properly.

I'll get to posting the link in a mo, but first I thought I would share my experience with you. This is my 4th recording to date, and for the first time I used the card manager and Audacity, rather than do it all on the MRS-8. How fab are they?? "Well sweet" as my son would say.

Ok, be gentle or it'll go on eBay .... 8-)

http://www.toon-army.com/wish%20you%20were%20here.mp3

Cheers

Paul

PS: Off to review the other posts on here as instructed.
Nice job Paul, I own the older MR-8 (the red one). I've since retired it, you achevied great results. You should just dive in and start recording originals, or if the learning curve is a factor maybe re-record and older original, maybe breathe some new life into an old song, This has always been my writers block cure, works like a chrarm!!
Keep up the fine work
-Steven Vincent
0 x

ferret
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by ferret » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:12 pm

I NEVER EVER listen to covers, except when I rarely do....and in this case, I'm glad I did. You have grasped and captured the essence of one of my favourite songs.
The vocal is too low in the mix. That's my only nit.
This is an outstanding cover. I hope you'll share some original stuff in time, but if you just keep on churning out Pink Floyd covers of this quality, I'll settle for that!
Cheers,
Ferret
0 x
I am not mad. Just differently sane.

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:41 pm

Nice cover of a great song. I've heard this song covered a lot and this is as good or better than most.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

stevo
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by stevo » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:55 am

Welcome Paul!

I rarely review covers, even though I posted one here myself when I first joined... :shock:

But, this song takes me back, I used to do this one in my acoustic set when I gigged, like many here, its an old favourite.
You carry it off very well & for the first attempt with new gear its very accomplished. Though my only nits are that first solo is too high in the mix & your vocal needs to come up a bit.
I like what you've done & you will learn more on here, I certainly have.

Give us a couple of originals to chew over & we'll help you get the best from your new toys.

Nice work fella
0 x
The highest branch on the Apple tree, was my favourite place to be...

keyshardy
Jedi
Jedi

Post by keyshardy » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:38 pm

This is one of my fav Floyed numbers. I can safely say that you did it justice. Great recording and your voice is well suited to it too!.Nice one.

Keep up the good work.

Keys 8)
0 x

gwood
Yoda
Yoda

Post by gwood » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:49 pm

Yeah, nice, but like someone said, that first guitar overdub comes in way too loud, made me jump a little. Watch the popping P's in the vocal, heard one, kind of a pet peeve of mine, since I did it so much myself. Nice vocal harmony, good playing.
0 x
Music by G. Wood/Undercover Bonobos (me!):
Bandcamp: http://oneoffrekerdz.bandcamp.com/

Sav
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Sav » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:28 pm

Hi mate
I thought it was bloomin great, a great song performed well. I think if you're going to do a cover it's got to be very close to the original or completely different. Yours is very close and I enjoyed it. I too am new to this lark (this is my first post). My missus got me the MRS8 for Christmas and I love it. As you can imagine, I'm still learning how to use it but I'm getting there slowly, (isn't the instruction manual rubbish??) I haven't been brave enough to put anything of my own on here yet, listening to some of the stuff on here makes anything I've done sound very amateurish.
Keep up the good work, like someone has already said, it can only get better

Andy
0 x

rayg1952
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by rayg1952 » Sun May 31, 2009 2:51 pm

Hey Jimmyosram.

When I download the file and press the play button I get a small window that come's up and it's said Requested file not find. The link you followed may be outdated or inaccurate.
0 x

manzana
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by manzana » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:12 pm

good song, good cover. the first solo sounds a bit strange. vocals could come up a bit.
0 x