Yesterdays pride to tomorrows tears - ux2 original

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
Gu Djin
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Yesterdays pride to tomorrows tears - ux2 original

Post by Gu Djin » Thu May 28, 2009 5:30 pm

Started off as the accompaniment for some words I had written, however the words ended up in a different song. Now here it is - a wordless song.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7643568

Telecaster lead - 1 track Fender amp simulation
Acoustic bass - 1 track doubled
Telecaster rythmn - 1 track
Yamaha keys for percussion and pads - 7 tracks

Comments and advice welcomed.
0 x
1964 Guild Starfire 5, MiM Fender Telecaster, MiM Stratocaster, K Yairi and other various acoustic guitars and music making boxes - including mandolin, bouzouki and 5 string banjo, uke and Dean acoustic bass - And M-Audio Keyboards - DAW LogicPro X

gwood
Yoda
Yoda

Re: Yesterdays pride to tomorrows tears - ux2 original

Post by gwood » Thu May 28, 2009 5:39 pm

Master volume seems very low. I'd put the lead guitar in the center, and turn it down just a bit. And pump up the bass. And slap those words on there, go on, you know you want to! :)
0 x
Music by G. Wood/Undercover Bonobos (me!):
Bandcamp: http://oneoffrekerdz.bandcamp.com/

Gu Djin
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Gu Djin » Thu May 28, 2009 5:51 pm

Hi Gwood - try it now. The words are in another recording now, but I'm away for a few days so may write some new words for this. :)
0 x
1964 Guild Starfire 5, MiM Fender Telecaster, MiM Stratocaster, K Yairi and other various acoustic guitars and music making boxes - including mandolin, bouzouki and 5 string banjo, uke and Dean acoustic bass - And M-Audio Keyboards - DAW LogicPro X

gwood
Yoda
Yoda

Post by gwood » Thu May 28, 2009 6:29 pm

That's better! You've got the bass over to the left? I know people do that, but I've always been a bass in the center guy. But hey, put it where you want to, don't mind me.
0 x
Music by G. Wood/Undercover Bonobos (me!):
Bandcamp: http://oneoffrekerdz.bandcamp.com/

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Thu May 28, 2009 7:20 pm

This song has a def 60's rock vibe to it.Pretty tripped out. Kinda reminds me of "House Of The Rising Sun". Once again I'm flashin back man! Good sounds GD.
0 x
Les Paul Studio, ES 135, Guild G37, Wechter Pathmaker, Fender GN-45SCE Classical, YouRockGuitar, Fender Jazz Bass, Ovation Celebrity, Oscar Schmidt OU6LCE Ukulele, Gibson F4 Mandolin, Yamaha PSR-225GM, Line 6 UX2 & FX100, DOD FET preamp, MC10O Condensor Mic, Dynamic Unidirectional Mic, MRS-8, Samplitude, REAPER, Mixcraft, EZ Drummer/Mix, Steven Slate Drums, POD Farm, Guitar Rig, FENDER Deluxe Silverface, Roland CUBE-60, Jazz Real Books by Sher Music
Soundclick Soundcloud Reverbnation YouTube

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Thu May 28, 2009 9:11 pm

Yea, I was thinking early 60's too. Cool guitar work.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

minerman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by minerman » Fri May 29, 2009 2:18 am

Hey Leigh,
Reminds me of a soundtrack to a spy film, I can see him driving in his car chasing a villan & this music playing as he catches up with the bad guys!!! I'd like to hear the vocals on this, but it's fine as-is!!! Have to agree it's a pretty trippy tune!Good job!!
0 x
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Oscar Schmidt, Carlo Robelli
EVH LBX 15w, EVH 4x12, Marshall 1960A
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro 'phones
NI Komplete Audio 6, Alesis Q25, M-Audio BX8
Shure, Sennheiser, Audix, Samson, Behringer & Carvin mics
Dell Desktop: Intel Quad Core i7-4790, 16GB RAM, Windows 7

My Music

@ Soundclick
@ Reverbnation
@ Bandcamp

Omegaman
The Force
The Force

Post by Omegaman » Fri May 29, 2009 8:46 am

has a Johnny Rivers Secret Agent man vibe to it.do I hear steel drum in there?
0 x

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sat May 30, 2009 12:21 am

Leigh;
While I think your playing on this is very skillfull and imaginative, I really do hope you put words to this. The reason it doesn't work for me is the chord progression is so over-worked and old. If you've listened to pop music for any length of time, you've heard it in umpteen thousand songs over the years. While I realize that chord progs cannot be monopolzed or even copyrighted, I believe that you are a talented enough guy to come up with something better. So, Not your best tune, but still showcases your playing talent nonetheless.

Sorry to be so mean, ol' buddy. ;) Just my opinion. ;)

:D
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Vintage Organs & Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Sat May 30, 2009 9:10 am

Gave it a couple of listens over a day or so.....seems like the perc is out of sync with the rest. Maybe because it's so quiet, it's hard to keep time?
Dunno. Yeah, not the most orig chord prog.....rode hard and put away wet.
It would really be cool to have you give us the most pro sounding track that you could. I know you got it in ya.
Something that took a few weeks to cook up.
Anyway, this sounds like a rough demo a famous band member from da 60's brought to his group to turn into a hit in the studio.
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

Tonto2
The Force
The Force

Post by Tonto2 » Sat May 30, 2009 10:12 am

Hi Leigh,
I think your guitars sound really good.
The music feels like drifting on the ocean.
:D
Kelsey
0 x
. .

Tonto2
Father/Daughter Team
_________________________________________________________________________________
. Homemade music made around the campfire, at the beach, or just about anywhere!
Our SoundClick Site ? Our 1st Forum Post ? Our Portable Recording Gear ? Our Favorite Keyboard Artist

Tracey Leu
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Tracey Leu » Sat May 30, 2009 8:06 pm

Hi Leigh,

I hope "Yesterdays tears" will be "Tomorrows pride"...& I'm sticking to it!!! :lol:

Really cool vibe going on here! 8)
Sungodv wrote:this sounds like a rough demo a famous band member from da 60's brought to his group to turn into a hit in the studio.
Good point!

The Drums/Perc. need to be fixed for sure...but I like the steel drums in there, keep 'em!
Really dreamy/moody Guitar!
Well done you...Luv Trace. x
0 x
Trace.The.Bass

Gu Djin
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Gu Djin » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:26 pm

Thanks for the comments Gang they're all very much appreciated.

Marc: When I listened to this after your comments and reviewed the chords I felt it more like "Sunny" than "House of the Rising Sun", but at least we agree with decade. :D

Cracks: Thanks for the listen and comment John. Yes it is very 60's, which was part of the reason I didn't use this for the lyrics I'd written, as I was after a more 50's feel with the Tele twang taking centre stage. :)

Minerman: The spy car-chase is a cool idea, I wish I'd thought of that when I was putting it together. :D

Omegaman: Nice to hear from you Bill, and yes my Yamaha keyboard does a not bad impression of steel drums. No midi. :)

Vocalizer: Can't get it right all the time and I'm just going through a phase of performance at the minute, though I can't get where your coming from regarding the chord prog as wasn't anything in particular but the effects overrode my carefully crafted m7's and augment(b70)s. :lol: Not doing much at the microphone at the moment as the neighbors are going through a phase of reconstruction and it's seldom quiet enough to record. :)

Sungodv: Thanks for the listens and comment Steve. :) I'm pretty crap at putting in drums freehand on the keyboard, so I've taken out the hi-hat tap and the snare and it has improved it a bit, but I want to keep the bass and kettle drums in and I'm working on that. :D Love your other comments, I needed a laugh :lol: .

Kelsey: Nice to hear from you. Thanks for the comments. :D Funnily enough I have a long term project which based on a "sailing the ocean" theme. I may get it finished one of these days. ;)

Tracey: Glad you liked my offering. Hope to hear more of your stuff soon.

Regards to all
0 x

stevo
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by stevo » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:36 am

Tarantino could use this... I'm reminded of Kill Bill while listening.
It has that unfinished feel to it that I believe is becoming a bit of a trademark.

Its very quirky, whether a simple chord prog or not, it kind of works. Definitely more soundtrack than song.

Found it very enjoyable in a dreamlike way...
0 x
The highest branch on the Apple tree, was my favourite place to be...

James Ryce
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by James Ryce » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:31 am

I enjoyed that and was wondering for just a few seconds "is that a steel drum I hear?" Good thinking to put that in. Drums could stand the once over, but I kind of like the floppy type sound that I think was the bass drum. Kind of strange but good at the same time. Like I said, I enjoyed this very much. It was nice to just sit back and listen while I worked away on the other PC.

James.
0 x
funky country boy.
Website http://www.jamesryce.com
NEW CD "James Ryce ... ALL MY BEST, PLUS 12 OTHER SONGS"
Sales via PayPal http://www.jamesryce.com/Purchase_The_Music.php

Gu Djin
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Gu Djin » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:28 pm

Stevo and James: Thanks for the listen an comments. :D :D

I was looking for a more 50's sound than I got with this, and I thought the steel drums were little out of the decade, but I quite liked the way they worked with guitar so I left it in.

Like the dreamlike comment: hope they're all good ones.

Best Regards
0 x