zoom r8 mixing own song

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
pickle
been here a while
been here a while

zoom r8 mixing own song

Post by pickle » Tue May 06, 2014 9:04 pm

http://m.soundcloud.com/theguiltymanfou ... str011-wav
Another one of my demos.This is the more heavyer side to my tastes.Im not a huge fan of industrial metal at all but alot of the songs I write like this seem to have a NIN feel.I love tool and I think that comes across on this one.
Guitars used are an Ibanez sz series and my warwick streamer lx.All done on the zoom r8.Personally I think the mix sounds very very muddy and unclear.Any one writing songs in this style with mixing tips they would care to share ? Thanks zfor listening.Irs just a demo and am fully aware of how ewwww my voice is lol.
0 x

dickl
The Force
The Force

Re: zoom r8 mixing own song

Post by dickl » Wed May 07, 2014 3:44 am

Another really good song from you :^:

Cool groove you've got going. Guitars and vocals are again excellent (although there are parts where the vocals need a boost)

The drums are keeping the groove but could stand more variation.

Bass is a bit lost (on my system at least).

Very abrupt ending? is that Soundcloud or deliberate?

Cheers

Dick
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Lungfruit » Wed May 07, 2014 5:32 am

I certainly get the Tool vibe. It also has a Soundgarden thing going too! Your voice is perfect for what you are trying to do. I think it's mixed well and not muddy at all, except that I think your vocals could be brought up just a bit in the mix. I like the guitar accents. Are the guitars going straight into the R8, or via some effect?
0 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

pickle
been here a while
been here a while

Post by pickle » Wed May 07, 2014 11:13 am

Thankyou everyone for listening.I double track the guitars.Record track 1 guitar then another take on track 2 with a slightly different sound then pan them left and right then EQ them, turning each slighty more centered till they sound right.Yes the bass is completely lost, they are quite old recordings and to be honest havent totaly mastered rhe r8 yet :oops:
0 x

topographic
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by topographic » Wed May 07, 2014 1:00 pm

This is sweet. It's got a nervous momentum that I really like, and the mutant-mosquito guitar riff is perfect. I agree with Dick that the bass is low, but it's there, so it might be ok. Too many songs have a heavy bass line which tends to distract me. The vocal should be boosted, but your voice sounds good to me.

Now add some mandolin and it's all good :nuts: :mrgreen:
Last edited by topographic on Wed May 07, 2014 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"An artist is somebody who produces things that people don't need to have."
(Andy Warhol said that, I think.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chB_KFdVGdM&feature
https://www.facebook.com/melodic.poprocktrio

All recordings made on a ZOOM MRS-802CD or an HD8 using either an Audio Technica 4040 or a Shure Beta 57A.

Guitars: Martin D-18V, Martin OM-28V, Martin D-15, 2006 American Deluxe Butterscotch Telecaster, a 1996 "Candy Apple Red" Strat, and a souped-up Epi Les Paul.

"The rambling stream of consciousness stuff seems to have been replaced by much more coherent material..."

"Although the Razr got it, my Xoom didn’t get the facial unlock with ICS or Jellybean."

Sungodv: "I was with you until the part about the grass in the sidewalk...."

"Glad you kept it short."

gwood
Yoda
Yoda

Post by gwood » Wed May 07, 2014 4:25 pm

This is very near pro quality, you don't need any advice from me.
0 x
Music by G. Wood/Undercover Bonobos (me!):
Bandcamp: http://oneoffrekerdz.bandcamp.com/

Wolfini
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Wolfini » Sat May 10, 2014 4:29 pm

Hey, not bad at all!!! :metal:

This is just straight hard rock to my ears, not that heavy after all imo, but just kicking right on! I like the bass line very well, because it is driving the song nicely along. I had no problems hearing it on my rather bass heavy headphones.

In the first part the mix seemed a bit too centered, but then the guitars left and right came in and everything was fine to my ears. I have no nits with the mix. Or at least no helpful suggestions. Yes, overall it could sound "bigger" (mostly the vocals and maybe the drums), but when you find out how to achieve that in home recording then please send me the secret through pm. ;-)

Cool stuff, Bye Wolfi
0 x

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Sat May 10, 2014 7:33 pm

pickle wrote:I think the mix sounds very very muddy and unclear
Just the opposite I'd say. You should put about 2 secs of silence in the beginning. I almost fell off my chair from that abrupt start. The ending needs some treatment too w/that "Off the cliff" stop. This is more progressive metal than heavy I'd say. Nice creativity. Reminds me ALOT of a dude I knew yrs ago who almost went pro. Sadly he took his own life last yr.
Matt Bradley
0 x
Les Paul Studio, ES 135, Guild G37, Wechter Pathmaker, Fender GN-45SCE Classical, YouRockGuitar, Fender Jazz Bass, Ovation Celebrity, Oscar Schmidt OU6LCE Ukulele, Gibson F4 Mandolin, Yamaha PSR-225GM, Line 6 UX2 & FX100, DOD FET preamp, MC10O Condensor Mic, Dynamic Unidirectional Mic, MRS-8, Samplitude, REAPER, Mixcraft, EZ Drummer/Mix, Steven Slate Drums, POD Farm, Guitar Rig, FENDER Deluxe Silverface, Roland CUBE-60, Jazz Real Books by Sher Music
PC=quad core I5,7200 1TB SATA HD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Graphics card, RAIDMAX|HELIOS Tower, 8GB RAM, 1TB ExtHD
Soundclick Soundcloud Reverbnation YouTube

John P
new to this board
new to this board

Post by John P » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:16 am

I enjoyed listening to your song. Sounded great. Well mixed
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:23 pm

I missed this one on the first go-round over three years ago!

It's really a pro-quality recording, as other said. I like the song. Very well done.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson