"Maryland, My Maryland" (Update 09/02/17 - new versions/new recordings/new bill)

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
still_fiddlin
been here a while
been here a while

Re: "Maryland, My Maryland" (Update 09/02/17 - new versions/new recordings/new bill)

Post by still_fiddlin » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:52 pm

This is fascinating and it was fun reading through the history of this all.

Great job reworking that song and I hope you succeed in your quest!
0 x

greenA2
dues paid
dues paid

Re: "Maryland, My Maryland" (Update 08/31/17 - new versions/new recordings)

Post by greenA2 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:20 pm

The Cracks wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:51 am
But then the violence in Charlottesville, VA, happened. Now the State Song is a big issue in Maryland again. There is going to be a big battle over whether the song should be revised or replaced altogether.
I was wondering how it would affect your project hearing the news. The history of every place can be such a mixed bag and every generation has to re-appraise it somehow, and art often is as important in re-writing history as are the politicians and the historians. In that sense your songwriting is no longer just fun for you and us, but useful in a very practical way!
0 x
Zoom A2, H5, YouRock Guitar

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Re: "Maryland, My Maryland" (Update 09/02/17 - new versions/new recordings/new bill)

Post by The Cracks » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:20 pm

Thanks still_fiddlin and greenA2.

Yes, I do feel like my songwriting hobby/craft/art is being put to some good use on this issue even if my song is not used in the end. I've certainly contributed to the discussion and will continue to at least through the legislative session that begins in January 2018. While my version of the song will probably not be the first choice of many it may be the last reasonable choice after all is said and done. We'll see.
1 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Lungfruit » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:58 pm

Thanks for the update! Good luck and I hope that you'll be reporting back that you penned the state song! Glenn
0 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:21 am

Thanks Glenn.

It's doubtful they'll use mine but I'm still in the mix. In my mind I've already moved on. I'm not going to waste much time now lobbying for my version. I'll just sit back and see how things develop. If it looks like I'm in the running then I'll kick into high gear.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson