Song for Siperia - original Logic X - Now with video!

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
dickl
The Force
The Force

Song for Siperia - original Logic X - Now with video!

Post by dickl » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:35 pm

As some of you may know my dog died recently. Siperia Peregrin was his Kennel Club name but to us he will always be Django.

Anyone who has a pet will know they aren't simply "just a dog or cat or whatever" they are part of the family.

We lived with Django for 10 years and although he often drove us to distraction we were devastated by his death. Even more so perhaps as I had to make the decision to take him from this world.

Song for Siperia

A bit mawkish but I hope you'll allow me a little sentimentality. It's a bit rough as well as I haven't really got the guitar parts off just yet but will work on those.

I intend to do a little video at some point but I'd like some comments before I commit to Youtube.

Django sings on this ;)

Mostly my K Yairi acoustic with a software string bass and celeste.

And here's a little video I managed to put together with the few videos we had of him

Django's Song

Cheers

Dick
Last edited by dickl on Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

BobF
dues paid
dues paid

Re: Song for Siperia - original Logic X

Post by BobF » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:12 pm

"roll in foxes poo ..." Love it. A beautiful tribute
1 x

guitar fan
Yoda
Yoda

Post by guitar fan » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:55 am

Sad news Dick,I didn't know.
I remember a video you showed me.
Django was unique,right?
Yes this is a lovely tribute and his
participation is a great idea.
1 x
Guy

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:35 pm

Thanks Bob and Guy.

All pets are unique in their own way but Django was very special to us. I was surprised at how much it affected me but then again it's like losing a member of the family.

Thankfully for him and us it was very quick. He was fine one week and gone the next. The vets reckon it was probably a brain tumour blocking an artery and a stroke which left him unable to walk and with no chance of a recovery.

The toughest decision I've ever had to make.

People have since told me that they won't have a pet anymore as the pain of parting is too great. I'm not sure if we'll get another dog but it's something I'd bear in mind.

Thanks again.

I'll post a link soon to the video.

Cheers

Dick
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Lungfruit » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:34 pm

Sorry to hear about Django. May he be running free somewhere full of joy and life, waiting for the day when he will be reunited with you.

Beautiful guitar work. So clear and distinct. The bass software is a nice touch. It adds depth to the song. The melody reminds of "Granchester Meadows" from Pink Floyd's Ummagumma with Jim Croce on vocals.

Nice job Dick!
1 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

guitar fan
Yoda
Yoda

Post by guitar fan » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:16 am

dickl wrote:
The vets reckon it was probably a brain tumour blocking an artery and a stroke which left him unable to walk and with no chance of a recovery.

The toughest decision I've ever had to make.

People have since told me that they won't have a pet anymore as the pain of parting is too great.
Same ending for Jed but at the age of 17,do you remember him?
Maybe the toughest Dick, but the best decision.
No more pets for me,I totally agree with the people you talked to.
1 x
Guy

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:18 pm

Thanks Glenn, I'm pleased you enjoyed a rather sad outing for me. I haven't heard Grantchester Meadows for 30 years or more I'll have to dig out the vinyl and give it a spin. The guitar gave me a lot of problems. The way I played it first of all with very percussive finger picking really highlighted it needs a setup as the strings were buzzing so much. I had to tone down the picking but I think it was all the better for it.

Yes Guy, I remember the dog and I understand why you wouldn't have another.

Thanks for the listen and comments my friends.

Cheers

Dick
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:58 pm

:(

I'm so sorry Dick. I know how hard it is to lose a friend like Django. I was just talking to my wife the other night about losing pets. While many people experience it, once it happens you are sort of on your own to suffer in isolation as the pain one feels doesn't seem to translate to others so well. They may show sympathy but they quickly move on to other topics or whatever. And if you are really torn up they may kind of smirk and say to someone on the side "it was a dog, right?" After all, it's only a pet and humans shouldn't be too devastated, etc. It's all bullshit. Our 13 year and 7 month old cat is showing signs of wearing out and it is breaking my heart every day. I cry but I don't tell anyone else for fear of being dismissed.

In any event, this is a great tribute.

It's just the way that it should be
That was Django

Animals are completely natural. They don't do things against their own natures. They are, if you will, without sin.

Lovely guitar and other additions. Vocals were sweet to fit the mood.

I like it.

I'm not religious but I was raised Catholic so once a Catholic always a Catholic, no matter how far and fast you run away from it. But one thing I've always kept in my mind was how St. Francis of Assisi preached the Gospel to animals. Catholics (and other religious folks) don't believe animals have souls. But, if they don't then what was St. Francis preaching the Gospel to them for? They have souls, at least as much as we do. And, as I said, they are without sin. Wish I could say that about humans.

Again, my sympathies and good song.

p.s. Put me down for the "never get another pet because I can't stand the pain of parting" club, at least for now.
1 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:36 pm

Great tribute for a lost friend and fun toon all the way around.
Nice finger style on that Alvarez. Not happy with the mix, sorry to say. But it wasn't unbearable. Better on cans versus speaks.
That darn pooch sounded right on pitch-wise just like his Dad. :^:
1 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:54 pm

Dick, this is delightful! I'm so sorry that Django had to leave you, but I'm sure you gave him a great life. I absolutely love dogs of all kinds from the little ones to the great big ones. Whoever first said they were "man's best friend" had it spot on.

My only nit with your mix is the vocal seems to be a bit muddy on my speakers.

:^:
1 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Sonar X3 Studio, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:27 pm

Thanks chaps, very much appreciated.

Sean, that's a wonderful explanation of how it feels. A pet that responds and lives as part of the family is another family member and losing that entity is hard whether it's a dog or a cat or a human. They are. as you say, natural. Although they are often intelligent in ways we don't understand they don't have agendas like we do. It's unconditional love and in the end that's all we can ask for. I was brought up a protestant but I don't buy into any of it but I do buy into the concept of a soul. Unexplainable but something I think we all have and I'd like to think so did Django. Nonetheless, it was great having him around for 10 years. We had some great times and I guess I'll always miss him. Thanks for your thoughts and words.

Steve, somehow I guessed the mix wouldn't suit you but I'm really pleased you understood the pain and what was behind the song. I've just redone the vocals and remixed it for a video I'm doing that I'll post soon. Thanks again Steve, much appreciated.

John, "mans' best friend"? without a doubt :) As I've said to Steve, I've redone the vocals and remixed it and will post the video when it's ready. Thanks for your thoughts John.

Thanks again chaps, video will hopefully be done tomorrow and it will put a lot of what I said in context :)
Last edited by dickl on Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

storpotaten
Yoda
Yoda

Post by storpotaten » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:27 pm

That's a lovely song, Dick. A fine example of how sadness and pain can lead to a beautiful creation. I hope it helps you process the feelings.
1 x

dickl
The Force
The Force

Re: Song for Siperia - original Logic X - Now with video!

Post by dickl » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:36 pm

Thanks Albert. It hit me a lot harder than I thought it would and writing about it was a kind of therapy for me. Although it was tough in some ways viewing the videos it was also nice to see the lad having fun :)

Cheers

Dick
1 x

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:09 pm

Dick, the video brought me to tears. Django was a beautiful dog. You were blessed to have him for a companion.

:D
1 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Sonar X3 Studio, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:06 am

You and me both John. It was a mixture of tears and laughter putting it together. Thanks for watching.
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:30 am

A nice tribute. It's tough to let these animal friends go.
1 x

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:17 pm

It is indeed. Thanks Marc.
1 x