Lighthouse-Sonar X3-Original Instrumental-UPDATE 4/4

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
voclizr
The Force
The Force

Lighthouse-Sonar X3-Original Instrumental-UPDATE 4/4

Post by voclizr » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:59 pm

4/4/2016 Guitar sound changed to Chinese Flute

y Mom passed away last October.
This is for her. She was my lighthouse through my childhood.
:cry:

Produced in Sonar X3 using Toontrack EZ Keys (I played most of it myself, though), Garritan Jazz & Big Band (Flute & Clarinet), NI Session Strings and Miroslav Philharmonik and I borrowed a "lead guitar" from Propellerhead Reason.

:D
Last edited by voclizr on Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Vintage Organs & Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

guitar fan
Yoda
Yoda

Re: Lighthouse-Original Instrumental

Post by guitar fan » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:16 am

Sorry about your loss John.
Nicely done.
Did your mother listen
to your musics?
0 x
Guy

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Re: Lighthouse-Original Instrumental

Post by voclizr » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:54 pm

guitar fan wrote:Sorry about your loss John.
Nicely done.
Did your mother listen
to your musics?
Thanks Guy.
Yes, she did enjoy my music. She was no doubt my biggest fan.

0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
NI Session Strings, Vintage Organs & Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Lighthouse-Sonar X3-Original Instrumental

Post by Lungfruit » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:15 pm

John,
I'm sorry to hear about your mom passing. It's a well-produced piece. IMHO the guitar solo seems out of place in it. Glenn
0 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:33 am

Sorry to hear that John. My dad died in 2014 and would have been one of your mum's contemporaries as he was born in 1929. It's tough to say goodbye but it's a good age to reach.

A very restrained piece. Nicely done and very evocative. A fine tribute.

Cheers

Dick
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:11 am

Thanks, Glenn & Dick.

@Glenn re-guitar. I respect your opinion. I have heard many New Age-Ambient pieces that use some lead guitar briefly. I wouldn't use it in the whole piece but it breaks up the string-woodwind leads that dominate the song.

@Dick-My Dad was born in 1929 too, which means he will be 87 in June. I was worried about him when my Mom died. He was so broken up. He and Mom were married more than 60 years and they say that often when a couple is together that long, when one goes the other won't be far behind. But I'm glad to say that at almost the 6 month point, he seems to be handling it it better than I thought he would.

0 x
John B

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:02 pm

Pretty music, V. Being a three minute pop music fan, it's a bit long for my short attention span, but considering it's in honor of your mother, I stuck with it.

Both my parents passed away in March, 2012. My mom was born in 1929 also. It's always sad to lose a parent. My condolences to you and to all Zoomers who have lost a parent or parents.

It is pretty music. I'm thinking of breaking out my keyboard again. I love the piano sound so much. I'm losing total interest in the guitar.
Last edited by The Cracks on Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:07 pm

The Cracks wrote:Pretty music, V. Being a three minute pop music fan, it's a bit long for my short attention span, but considering it's in honor of your mother, I stuck with it.
:shock: You've been listening to my 5+ minute stuff for years. ;)

A video is forthcoming. I went down to see my Dad today and he let me go through some old pics of the family. There are plenty with my Mom on them so I'm planning on doing a slideshow video with the music. I'll post on YouTube when it's done.

0 x
John B

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:52 pm

voclizr wrote: :shock: You've been listening to my 5+ minute stuff for years. ;)
Yes, I have and it's all good. I think it's a saying that pop songs are "three minutes". Of course some of the best songs are shorter or longer than that.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:29 pm

The Cracks wrote:
voclizr wrote: :shock: You've been listening to my 5+ minute stuff for years. ;)
Yes, I have and it's all good. I think it's a saying that pop songs are "three minutes". Of course some of the best songs are shorter or longer than that.
....and I've always appreciated your kind feedback.

0 x
John B

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

greenA2
dues paid
dues paid

Post by greenA2 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:48 pm

Nice composition, really like the wind duet but the guitar sound is very fake and spoils the whole thing in my opinion, try and record a real guitar instead.
0 x
Zoom A2, H5, YouRock Guitar

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Jim_Fogle » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:41 pm

Very quiet and restrained on the whole. Unfortunately, I have to agree with the others about the guitar. It's the only instrument (to my ears) that sounded like a keyboard playing electric guitar. I thought the legato violins were very well performed. The arrangement is excellent.
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:58 pm

Thanks, Jim F & green.

The guitar sound @1:57 was replaced by a Chinese Flute sound as of 4/4/2016. I think it sounds much better myself.

0 x
John B

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Re: Lighthouse-Sonar X3-Original Instrumental-UPDATE 4/4

Post by Sungodv » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:42 am

It is good to hear something from you instead of something you picked out. It really does show, if you know what I mean.
I remember the guitar part and thought why not just learn it and play it yourself on the electric instead of the MIDI cut and paste, but the replacement flute sounds better than the MIDI guitar you had. I do like the bit of panning @ the start there with the lead instrument. Was hoping for some more audio things like that. And you know I like the change up starting @ 2:28 to 3:29...'twas my favorite part. Fun to hear a Vibra-Slap again too - they were all the rage at one time. I might have put some plate reverb on the tail of it to make it fade out differently. Again, nice to hear your own composition versus EZ this or that. Much better imo.
Don't know if it was a slow or fast goodbye, but it's never easy for a son to lose his Mother usually. Just as it's hard for a daughter to lose her Father. Death is never easy regardless.
Your Dad and you have something more in common now. Enjoy your days with him.
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:36 am

Thanks, Steve. :D

I agree that the flute works much better there. I've been entertaining the idea of taking the Martin down to a local repair guy and check to see if it's in as good a shape as it should be. I think the frets could use some filing down because two of the notes on the high E string don't graduate on the 12th fret. I also dut some notes when I play a standard C major chord. That could just be my clumsey fingers, but the action used to feel a lot easier. I recently went to a local music store and played around on some NEW Martins and got the same result, so, it's probably just me.

I'm a bit pissed at Martin because they seemed to have lost my original warranty. I bought it in 1978 NEW. I KNOW I sent the warranty card in but I called them recently and they said they have no record of the serial number or warranty registration!

I went down to see my Dad last week and looked at some of the old family pictures. What memories! I almost forgot what a sheltered childhood I had.

0 x
John B

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Roy-Al
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Roy-Al » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:46 am

John, that was a lovely piece. It kind of washes over you. A fitting tribute indeed, to your Mom. My condolences for your loss.
0 x
Roy-Al

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Thu May 19, 2016 9:57 pm

This is awesome! Quite a lengthy piece that keeps one's attention. It's a beautiful opus to your mother.
0 x
Les Paul Studio, ES 135, Guild G37, Wechter Pathmaker, Fender GN-45SCE Classical, YouRockGuitar, Fender Jazz Bass, Ovation Celebrity, Oscar Schmidt OU6LCE Ukulele, Gibson F4 Mandolin, Yamaha PSR-225GM, Line 6 UX2 & FX100, DOD FET preamp, MC10O Condensor Mic, Dynamic Unidirectional Mic, MRS-8, Samplitude, REAPER, Mixcraft, EZ Drummer/Mix, Steven Slate Drums, POD Farm, Guitar Rig, FENDER Deluxe Silverface, Roland CUBE-60, Jazz Real Books by Sher Music
Soundclick Soundcloud Reverbnation YouTube