"Jump (Heat of the Morning)" Original Sonar

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
voclizr
The Force
The Force

"Jump (Heat of the Morning)" Original Sonar

Post by voclizr » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:08 pm

I hate to actually post a 4th song to the first page, but it's so quiet here lately I don't think anybody really minds. Besides, I need your input on something.

I used Izotope's Vocalsynth here. I'd like to know if it's coming through OK in the mix. It's kind of hard to mix with the nature of the effect being an unusual sound. I think it's coming through OK, but I know what to expect. You don't, so in the context of "fresh ears" I need to hear it from your prospective.

It's a weird "story" I cooked up with a guy who can't dance being abducted by alien robots (No, I haven't been smoking anything lately) who teach him the latest moves.

Thanks in advance for your help!! :D

Juump (Heat of the Morning)

Made with Sonar and a bunch of other things listed in my sig.

:D
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Sonar X3 Studio, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings & Vintage Organs, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

greenA2
dues paid
dues paid

Re: "Jump (Heat of the Morning)" Original Sonar

Post by greenA2 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:18 am

It's a weird mix of more traditional songwriting with electronic music. Well written, played and recorded, but the arrangement seems a bit disjointed to me between the two musical elements.
0 x
Zoom A2, H5, YouRock Guitar

BobF
dues paid
dues paid

Post by BobF » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:02 am

Cool piece John. IMO the modern/traditional contrast compliments the story. All around solid writing/production.
0 x

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:09 am

BobF wrote:Cool piece John. IMO the modern/traditional contrast compliments the story. All around solid writing/production.
My intentions exactly.

Thanks, both.

;) :D
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
NI Session Strings & Vintage Organs, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

M.T.Pilot
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by M.T.Pilot » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:38 pm

Pretty funky. I like the percussion, think the vocals are working well, also the alien ones! Nice piano-work. But I do not like the intro synths at all. They don't fit in and don't come back anywhere in the rest of the song. In my opinion the song would be also complete (even more so) when you simply leave them out. I think the synth-break is a bit corny (just don't like those synth sounds either). I do like the trumped synths coming in after that and the synth sounds near the end are working well, too.

Overall a nice, upbeat piece of music! Also nicely mixed (listening to it on crappy laptop speakers).
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:00 pm

I like it. It's a mix of Steely Dan, Wings, 70s funk, and even the Beatles. Love that piano. Is that EZKeys? The robot voice came through good. The only nit is that break. It sounded a bit too jagged edged (if that makes sense). Good lyrics too.

Great production, V. Good one!

p.s. I don't think anybody cares how many you post at this stage in the game. If they do, they've got too much time on their hands. I plan on breaking out my keyboard as soon I get my room rearranged. Can't say when that will be though. :shock:
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:31 pm

Thanks MT & Cracky!

Yes, it is EZ Keys, but I didn't use the preset patterns. I played everything myself here. I guess in the break I wanted to show the MIDI part of Vocalsynth, which is in the Ahhhhh.......s. That is my voice (actually I just had to speak "Ahh". Didn't have to even sing it), and if you set it up right, if you play the chords on the keyboard it will sound musical. Reason (which I also have, but don't use as much) has something like this too, but is more complicated to set up. Sorry you don't like the synth work. I thought if I was gonna use a vocal synthesizer it should have an electronic element in it too.

0 x
John B

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Lungfruit » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:26 am

Very clever John. A radical departure from your usual work. Where did the idea come from? I like mix, and the synth tones. The effect (doubling??) on your voice is cool. Glenn
0 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:11 pm

Lungfruit wrote:Where did the idea come from?
Thanks, Glenn. Just a weird idea that came into my mind between the beat and the vocalsynth, I guess.
Lungfruit wrote: I like mix, and the synth tones. The effect (doubling??) on your voice is cool.
About a month (or two) ago, I got an email from Softube saying they were having a special 2 for 1 sale on their Fix Flanger and Fix Doubler. I love vocal doubling and was looking through what I had at the time (not much), so I decided to buy them. I actually used the flanger on this one. I love the stereo spread on it.

1 x
John B

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Wolfini
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Wolfini » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:24 am

Interesting. I like this! I think the chorus is very catchy, and the robot part works out great, too. (is this where you used the vocal synth?). Very solid bass lines, that keep the song moving. The end with all the different, surprsing parts worked beautifully to my ears.

I felt that the verses and also the intro were a bit too long, though.

Big applause from me for this unusual and very creative song!

Bye Wolfi
0 x

M.T.Pilot
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by M.T.Pilot » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:10 pm

hold on.. I recognize this..! Ah, yes, the funky song. :)
Yes, I commented on this already.
0 x

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:02 pm

Thanks for the listen, Wolfi. Yes, the "robot" is the Vocalsynth. I also used it for the "choir" in the bridge and the "We will help you" at the end.

MT-Thanks for the revisit.

0 x
John B

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:59 am

An interesting idea John. Your songs are getting more sophisticated and they are working well :)
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

Roy-Al
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Roy-Al » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:11 pm

Wow JB, you are so talented. What a great piece. Puts me in the mind of Talking Heads, Eno and Peter Gabriel, guys like that. There's definitely an 80's flair to it and your vocals are way cool in the mix. Don't know about that other stuff but I like it.
0 x
Roy-Al

Rup
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Rup » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:42 am

Nice work, John. Your sound has grown in sophistication since I last heard it :-)
0 x

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:13 pm

Wow! I almost forgot this one was up. Thanks for the listen, Rup. Great to hear from you again.
Dick and Roy-Thanks for your words of encouragement. Sorry it took so long to get back to you.

0 x
John B

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

d.atryner
been here a while
been here a while

Post by d.atryner » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:41 am

Interesting song. I like the arrangement and vocal.
0 x