Speak the Irish Tongue to Me orig/PSRE403/SP1/Cl1/MX5

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Speak the Irish Tongue to Me orig/PSRE403/SP1/Cl1/MX5

Post by The Cracks » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:24 pm

Well, I cranked out a new song despite every nerve in my body screaming "No!". I'm pretty happy with it considering I haven't recorded anything other than practice material in a while and since my PC and Mixcraft 5 are both on their last legs.

In any event, I set my PSRE403 back up and have been practicing for a few weeks. In fact, this song is built around a practice drill that I found on Youtube. There are a whole lot of snap, crackles, and pops on the recording as my PC and Mixcraft 5 are dying a very painful, slow death. For some reason the Mixcraft 5 picks up bangs off of my keyboard. :nuts:

The lyrics are an attempt at an old Irish ballad style (so forgive the line "set my heart aflutter"). Also, I needed a word that sounded similar to "lady" so I gave a nod to myself (i.e., Tully, Ireland - a real place). I was looking through some public domain Irish songs (as the tune just sounded Irish to me) and I saw the line "speak the Irish langue to me" in a poem and used that as my jumping off place. I thought "tongue" sounded better than "language".

All instruments are the PSRE403 via the Cl1 interface into Mixcraft 5. The vocals are through the SP1 mic, via Cl1 interface, into Mixcraft 5. All tracks mixed in Mixcraft 5.

Thanks for any listens and, if you want, comments, although there is no way in hell that I'm going back to redo any of this. :nuts: I had forgotten just how difficult it is to mix songs. If I continue recording it will be the most stripped down sound that I can get away with.

Here is

Speak the Irish Tongue to Me
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Speak the Irish Tongue to Me orig/PSRE403/SP1/Cl1/MX5

Post by Lungfruit » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:28 am

Sounds more like Depeche Mode than a ballad. And I mean that in a good way! In my speakers I don't hear any extra noises. Nice tune .

BTW did anything ever happen with your Maryland song?
0 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:31 am

Dark. I'm re-reading Ulysses so I was in an "Irish mood" anyway, so this fit right in. A little bit of Eno here. Good moody stuff.
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:01 pm

Thanks Lungfruit and Zoetrope for listens and comments. Man, I haven't typed that in a while.

Lungfruit, thanks for not hearing the pops, etc., if that's the right way to say it. Listening again I wish I had separated the tracks a little better. All the high end stuff seems to bunch up at the end. I'm not too familiar with Depeche Mode but I know they were in the big league so I'll take it. Thanks.

The state song is on hold until the 2017 General Assembly which starts in January. I am pestering, lobbying, or whatever you want to call it, my delegate to get him ready for the next big push. Can't tell if he's with me or not at this point.

Zoetrope, thanks. I do know who Eno is and that' always a welcomed reference. Moody is how my piano pieces usually turn out. I could have sped this one up a beat or two it seems, but, as I said, I'm okay with it and even if I were not, I don't have the energy to do one more thing to it.

Thanks all!
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

greenA2
dues paid
dues paid

Post by greenA2 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:21 am

Interesting style, cool keyboard touches. The vocal sounds a bit weird to me, not sure if it's effects or just your lo fi approach. Cool lyrics!
0 x
Zoom A2, H5, YouRock Guitar

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:33 am

Thanks for listen and comments, greenA2. My vocals probably sound weird because my voice is weird. :lol: Actually, I did use the lo-fi setting on the vocals. It was the only way (at the time) that I could manage to make them blend better with the music. Frankly I forgot all about the task of mixing the vocals into the music by using EQ. :oops: Thanks for reminder!
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

M.T.Pilot
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by M.T.Pilot » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:09 pm

Sounds somewhat uncharacteristic for a The Cracks-song (no criticism). (Gotta be honest, though, I don't like the keyboard sound that comes in nearing the end. It sounds very retro). I didn't really hear the pops you were talking about. (Listening on laptop speakers).
0 x

BobF
dues paid
dues paid

Post by BobF » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:18 am

Love the darkness and simplicity. Everything fits perfectly.

:yes:
0 x

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:11 pm

I like the simple minimalistic quality to this. Some of the best songs are the most simply structured. Nice string pad work too. I must say that this is kind of below your standards, sonic wise. Only a few years ago your sound kicked ass, and I was envious of you in that respect. It might be, as you say, your equipment going bad. It's such a shame because you've displayed so many times how you can get the best sound out of what you have (or had).

:^:
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Vintage Organs & Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:41 pm

Thanks for listens and comments M.T., Bob, and V.

I'm glad the pops, etc., aren't as discernable as I had thought.

I didn't know I had a kick ass sound. Glad to hear that I did and sorry I don't now.

That's the second reference to it being dark. That's good. I like dark.

Thanks!
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:49 am

I could hear Tom Waits singing this. I was waiting for a tuba or trombone to come in with a snare roll and big bass drum.

It's a love song Jim but not as we know it.

Cheers

Dick
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:17 pm

dickl wrote:I was waiting for a tuba or trombone to come in with a snare roll and big bass drum.
That is so funny you said that, Dick. That's on my next one! :D Seriously. I'm almost ready to post it. I thought I may have tipped my hand or something.

Thanks for listen and comments. I had Tom Waits in mind when trying to keep it minimal and short. I listened to lots of his short songs (some under two minutes) right around the time I recorded this. Very perceptive of you (again).
1 x
My albums

My songs

My website

Roy-Al
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Roy-Al » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:27 pm

Tom Waits, that's exactly right. Simple but effective. The voice was a bit louder that I expected. But, I heard you, there will be no remixing...
0 x
Roy-Al